SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Staining or Window Tinting Wood Trim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 12:17 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Staining or Window Tinting Wood Trim?

What is the best way to tint wood trim black so I still see the original wood pattern?

Would window tint work?

What would be the best way to go about this or should I just forget about the idea altogether?
Old 03-03-13, 12:22 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

I would imagine sanding it down, then staining it would be your best bet. Then clear coat after that until it's as shiny as you like.
Old 03-03-13, 12:24 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biddles
I would imagine sanding it down, then staining it would be your best bet. Then clear coat after that until it's as shiny as you like.
Hrmm. Luckily I have a spare car for parts because this sounds like a quick way to destroy good wood trim lol!

The trim is made of real wood at least so there is a good chance of this looking good in the end.

I would imagine this being very labor intensive.... and costing $$$.

Anyone know if window tint applied to them would work? Would it look decent?

Last edited by Clean400; 03-03-13 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 12:48 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say make it a DIY and post your results!!!!
Old 03-03-13, 12:58 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I say make it a DIY and post your results!!!!
BTW good job on the write-up! Haha I just finished reading through it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-removal.html

I'm actually not the one who is going to be doing the work cause I know I'll screw up the paint somehow.

I contacted another forum member here biturbo632 who actually lives near me. Hopefully I can get my car to him soon so he can redo my interior like his. I'd be more than happy if my interior looked like this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html

This is the look I'm going for. I'm going to be putting a 98 GS400 Black steering wheel 3 spoke.

If I can't get the tinted wood trim look right I'll go for the same trim color like in the picture... which the more I look at it the more I think why even bother tinting the wood trim anyways.

But who knows the tinted black wood trim could look really classy!

Last edited by Clean400; 03-03-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 12:59 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clean400
Hrmm. Luckily I have a spare car for parts because this sounds like a quick way to destroy good wood trim lol!

The trim is made of real wood at least so there is a good chance of this looking good in the end.

I would imagine this being very labor intensive.... and costing $$$.

Anyone know if window tint applied to them would work? Would it look decent?
It really wouldn't cost more then $20...and labor.

Sand paper..$5..small can of stain(Ebony I'd imagine is what you want?)...$7..clear coat finish...$7. Sanding it will take time no doubt, if you have a belt sander it could be done pretty quickly though. As far as staining is concerned, it's an extremely easy process. It just takes more time depending how dark you want the stain and how much you want it to shine. One coat usually takes 4-6 hours to dry...I just built a computer desk out of Red Oak...the staining process took a little more then a day, but I wanted it very very dark.

Here's an example of a finished ebony stain...high shine.

I never heard of anyone window tinting wood...sounds ridiculous to me, but I never used window tint so I don't know, but just the thought of plastic coating on my nice wood finish sounds silly.
Old 03-03-13, 01:14 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biddles
It really wouldn't cost more then $20...and labor.

Sand paper..$5..small can of stain(Ebony I'd imagine is what you want?)...$7..clear coat finish...$7. Sanding it will take time no doubt, if you have a belt sander it could be done pretty quickly though. As far as staining is concerned, it's an extremely easy process. It just takes more time depending how dark you want the stain and how much you want it to shine. One coat usually takes 4-6 hours to dry...I just built a computer desk out of Red Oak...the staining process took a little more then a day, but I wanted it very very dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Pl6ABEL9U

Here's an example of a finished ebony stain...high shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFC9WIhpxw

I never heard of anyone window tinting wood...sounds ridiculous to me, but I never used window tint so I don't know, but just the thought of plastic coating on my nice wood finish sounds silly.
Thanks for the info man. Yeah I think the window tint might end up looking cheap. That ebony is pretty much what I want to replicate. I think it would look great.
Old 03-03-13, 01:20 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clean400
Thanks for the info man. Yeah I think the window tint might end up looking cheap. That ebony is pretty much what I want to replicate. I think it would look great.
The best thing for you is you have two cars, one to work on, one to drive. Pop the panels, sand it, stain it, clear coat it, then resand it with a very high grit stand paper and a little water to finish it. It's really cheap, but it will take a day or two before it's finished. Walmart or Home Depot should have everything you need.
Old 03-03-13, 01:31 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thanks for the compliments on the write up. I actually forgot all about that one. If you decide to do the black like pictured, PM me for further.
Old 03-03-13, 01:36 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I can't imagine painting the real wood in a SC400. It has excellent grain and finished by craftsman. There is not a better wood in any car. In my opinion, painting it would make it look like any cheap plastic that was painted. I just don't see the point.
Old 03-03-13, 01:39 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Did you not see the above pictures??? or Jays interior that I redid? Or mine????

Black wood grain in the correct thickness of clear just looks amazing in my book.. To each their own.
Old 03-03-13, 01:44 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always do a vinyl wrap, that way its completely reversible incase you ever want to go back to wood trim
Old 03-03-13, 01:50 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Did you not see the above pictures??? or Jays interior that I redid? Or mine????

Black wood grain in the correct thickness of clear just looks amazing in my book.. To each their own.
I agree that black grain can look terrific, as you can still see the wood. I was talking about "painting" the wood black. That is an entirely different thing. Sorry about the misunderstanding.l
Old 03-03-13, 02:07 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

have you thought of CF wrapping it?
Old 03-03-13, 05:04 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't get any stains to take to the wood. It's super thin. I tried doing the same thing and ended up wrapping them in vinyl in the end

Quick Reply: Staining or Window Tinting Wood Trim?