SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Our Cars Worth ($$$)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13 | 01:06 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Default Our Cars Worth ($$$)

I'm on our forum daily and see all kinds of cars from the meticulous (97-SC300) to the it needs to be crushed. I like to go over to the classified car section just to see some of the cars that are for sale and some of there mods. While occasionally I see a pretty good deal I'm amazed at some of the prices guys are asking for well, crap. There are a bunch of cars on this site that I would love to have. I say that, maybe five. I know I waited a long time for mine to come available to buy and I was looking at a lot of cars for a long time. I have been fortunate enough to have owned three really nice SC's. My current car being the nicest so far and my last, (Unless 97-SC300 ever comes for sale. That kind of gets me to my point and pricing on a really nicely modded SC. A year ago I paid $17,000 for my car with 74,000 original miles and pretty heavily modded. At the time I though that was quite a bit but I could afford it, and, I wanted it. I don't know how much I've spent on it since then but it's in the thousands now. Now my question is, how much is to much to pay??? If I put my car up for sale today for $20,000 would someone buy it, or laugh and say its sixteen years old and I've lost my mind. I'm curious. I've been telling my wife that I might as well keep it for a long time because no one will want to pay 20 grand for that old of a car. And even if they would, would I be willing to let it go for what I feel, is a steal at that price. Of the five cars on this board that I'd love to have, I know that these guys probably feel the same way.

The question is, how much is to much to pay ?????

I really hope all that made since.

Shane
Old 03-05-13 | 01:14 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I have rarely if ever seen an Sc at that price since the 90's regardless of mods. Your initial buying price may make it impossible to get close to your desired price back. What are the mods?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 03-05-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-05-13 | 01:16 PM
Wheel_Man
Lead Lap

I just paid $1,800.00 for my 97'SC3 w/ 140k miles. Excellent condition, clean carfax and she runs like a Champ!! I know I was VERY fortunate to find one at that price as I could EASILY turn around and sell her for at least $5k.
Old 03-05-13 | 01:17 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I know I over paid for mine. But oh well. It is what it is. I'd say anything over 30k might be asking too much. Anything below that can be justified in certain contexts.
Old 03-05-13 | 01:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

those sound like supra prices
Old 03-05-13 | 01:27 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

I personally would never pay that amount for these cars turbo swap or not. Its a timeless beautiful well made car but that is just way too much now. Unless something magical happens for our cars worth your 20000 asking price might be unrealistic. But good luck on selling it if you do get a buyer let us know!
Old 03-05-13 | 01:37 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

the previous owner must have asked himself the same thing.
Old 03-05-13 | 01:38 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Well, I guess I should have made myself a little clearer on the "type" of car I'm talking about.
I know without a doubt that my car wouldn't bring 20K, but to the right person looking for a heavily modifed car like 97-SC300, SC400TT or Wicked SC, how much would you pay ?? I think 97-SC300's car and Wicked SC's car are probably in the top five SC's you'll ever see. Countless mods and attention to detail are second to none. Back to my original question, how much is too much ???

My main reason for asking the question was not about pricing my car, it's not for sale nor do I intend to sell it for a long time. My question is when you have a car like the cars listed above or say the black 10 second car that Street King (SW) had, how much is to much to spend ?

As far as my list of mods go, my build thread is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ack-again.html

Shane

Last edited by SSmith; 03-05-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-05-13 | 01:40 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

I have owned 11 sc's and the one I have now is a keeper. I think about what i would list it for if sold at least once a month.
KBB is $6700
Built GTE swap, V160, Diff, HREs, single turbo, fuel setup and all the countless other parts...
$20k is what my bottom dollar is. doesnt matter how many more thousands i pour into it, the money is not coming back.
Old 03-05-13 | 01:40 PM
Maserati
Advanced

There's a 97 SC400 for sale here for 17k and has 17k miles, so im guessing that would be worth the price.
Old 03-05-13 | 01:41 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
those sound like supra prices
about sums it up. i think the supra actually kills our cars pricing thinking about it. for 20k someone would say they would rather own the appeal of a supra and the resale value at that. Realistically I think keeping your car is your best bet. 20k for our cars is to much. perfect example of this is autoboys widebody SC that car is worth WELLL over 17k. and he has to go that low and still no ones bought the car and its been over a year i think. its probably one of the most famous SC's because its one of the 10 cars that you see when you google sc300. sad things is with those same mods on a OG tt supra it would easily be sold for $30k+.... n/a converted would still be in the 25k range.
Old 03-05-13 | 01:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't have paid that much......... but that is one sweet car!
Keep it!
Drive the heck out of it.
Get your moneys worth in smiles.
Old 03-05-13 | 02:06 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

If you look at Shane car it's clean well taken care of. If someone wants a car like that sure I couldn't see why you couldn't get it. It takes a special buyer. You don't see too many car like Shane or 97-sc300 and other clean sc. It's really well put together, super clean, untouched and original. Every bolt underneath is new like factory. You can't say that about most sc.
Old 03-05-13 | 02:32 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Thanks Jerry. Appreciate that.

I don't think my car is in the caliber of 97-SC300's but it is pretty damn clean. I know that if mine were completely stock it would be worth 5-7 grand minimum. Start adding mods and well, who knows. The whole point of my post was there are some really nice cars on this site and some, not so much. If a person was going to buy one of the really nice one's, what's it worth.

Shane
Old 03-05-13 | 02:35 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

If you sell your car stock for 7k I will buy it in a heart beat. Not saying you ever would buy 7k for a car that clean. It would cost way more to get the car in that shape even if you brought a 97 for 3k. Just seats alone are like a good 700-800 without install. Then carpet and trim etc you are right at the 7k plus range. If you sell your car stock I want dibs. Lol.

Quick Reply: Our Cars Worth ($$$)