SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wanting to pull the trigger on my First SC. some help first tho.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 06:34 PM
Suncity915
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to pull the trigger on my First SC. some help first tho.

Hey CL ,

My names Dylan and ive been exploring ya'll page for several months now and im about ready to pull the trigger, or start searching had for my first SC. but first i have a few questions that id like to get answered by a few members if possible.

ive done my home work but a few of my questions have not been obtained through a seach.

well here it goes..

Im willing to throw 8k at a SC. preferably a factory 5 speed with decent interior. i know i can afford one with those requirements, but my question is, what extra goodies can 8k get me? (i.e swapped ?) reason im asking is because i dont want to get my hopes up lol .

My intensions with with the SC are very simple, big power ! Im not shy what so ever to me as ive built a 67 camaro, 66 mustang, datsun 510 w/ 350 swap. .

due to work and lack of free time id like any jump i can get on a swapped SC , even if its a stock 1jz auto. lol

any of this achievable with my listed budget? keep in this mind that budget is only to get started. after i get it i plan to go big.

Thanks CL members !
Old 03-26-13, 06:42 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Forum
I would have to say yes, 8k will give you alot of SC's to choose from.
Old 03-26-13, 07:39 PM
Suncity915
Driver School Candidate

thanks bud !
also thanks for the help .

cant wait to get into a SC , been wanting one since high school. lol
Old 03-26-13, 07:56 PM
jsimms2
Driver School Candidate

Where in TX are you? When I was looking to buy my wife her SC I noticed that the SCs in Houston are super cheap compared to what is available in south Louisiana.

Her SC was 4500 for a 95 with 117k miles. Interior isnt flawless but it looks damn good for a car half its age. Has some paint issues like a quarter sized dent with rust and visibly bad bondo job on rear quaterpanel. I still don't know if it was a good price but it seemed reasonable compared to other cars we looked at in the area.

Last edited by jsimms2; 03-26-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 08:01 PM
Suncity915
Driver School Candidate

Im straight across the Texas map from Houston. Im in El Paso.
I plan on driving/flying to pick up the SC i do get tho. Over here is all hondas .. traveling for a SC is a must.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-26-13, 08:17 PM
play123boi
Pole Position

Im on my second SC now so here are some considerations:

1. For 8k you can find one in excellent cond I got mine with a 1jz swap single turbo R-154 and blk mint interior for under 5k engine wasnt running so I spent a lot in parts tho. Try to get it with a 5speed in it already.

2. Do not buy one with body Damage as it is a bish to fix esp with the rear quarter panel dent!

3. Remember even tho the car is a good price parts and etc can be expensive so try and go as mint as possible and use this forum for parts!

4. Be patient I waited for a few years after selling my SC to buy a new one! Man this ride has truly a timeless design!
Old 03-26-13, 08:43 PM
Suncity915
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=play123boi;7846861]Im on my second SC now so here are some considerations:

1. For 8k you can find one in excellent cond I got mine with a 1jz swap single turbo R-154 and blk mint interior for under 5k engine wasnt running so I spent a lot in parts tho. Try to get it with a 5speed in it already.

2. Do not buy one with body Damage as it is a bish to fix esp with the rear quarter panel dent!

3. Remember even tho the car is a good price parts and etc can be expensive so try and go as mint as possible and use this forum for parts!

4. Be patient I waited for a few years after selling my SC to buy a new one! Man this ride has truly a timeless design![/QUOTE

sweet thanks for the help man,

dont even own one yet and already have a stock pile of parts lol (th400 built for 2000hp and a bunch of other go fast parts of sorts)
Old 03-26-13, 10:52 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

8k is a lot of money to play with. You can find an older one already swapped, dropped and maybe on some decent wheels. Or you can find a 97+ relatevely lower mileage,unmolested, and still have some change to go na-t soon after if you want. Depend on how much work you're willing to do. Just be patient and pick one up that you can work with.
Old 03-27-13, 07:56 AM
CaliTRDSC
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the Forum. Im from Texas to. Here in houston there is a good selection. but I recommend San Antonio for an SC. 8k will get you a pretty good start maybe even a rare 97 5speed. Good Luck
Old 03-27-13, 12:14 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent 3 months riding my bike to work and class before I found a 5-speed SC, it was in Austin, but damn was it worth the wait. I was really happy/lucky that I didn't need a car right then, otherwise I would've probably had to settle for much less.

8k is a lot to play with, be aware that if you find a 5 speed that is completely stock but in great condition and low mileage, the most you could reasonably expect to pay for it is 5k for older years, maybe possibly 5.5k-6k for a 97. Low-middle mileage may be 4-4.5k. High mileage may be 2.5-4k depending on condition and repairs.

The most important thing is patience. Wait for the right one. Don't buy one just because it's there, buy one that you are ready to fall in love with. Eventually it will come up for sale, all you can do is arm yourself with the right knowledge and know the right questions to ask.
Old 03-27-13, 04:39 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

I echo the sentiment of waiting for the right one. there was a nice Silver 5 speed that was turboed that was going for 9k for a while on autotrader.

I got mine with an NA-T and mint interior for 5, but it needed some work to be right.

There's plenty of them floating around. Don't get the automatic, it's horrible. Have to get the 5 speed. Searchtempest and autotrader, every day. You'll find one.

8k is good, but it's kind of weird what it will get you. It probably doesn't get you a decent 5 speed and the swap and wheels and suspension. But you can get an incredible looking SC for that price with mostly stock engine. Or a beast of a car with an NA-T or swap that probably doesn't look too good inside and out.

I think 12-13k is the minimum to get the well done inside and out and then a big engine (swap or NA-T).
Old 03-27-13, 06:05 PM
Suncity915
Driver School Candidate

This forum is awesome, everyone here is a great help. Thanks for the help guys.

I plan on getting the best my money can buy, leaning towards the more mechanical side of things being the diamond and my int./ext. being the rough spots. (got a buddy who does factory BMW paint) and a set of brides in my room (being used as decoration)

As for standard transmissions, whose rocking a W58 on a stock Na-T or 1JZ power plant?

Also, the 92-96 has slightly different body styling and vvti vs non vvti and obd1 vs obd2, but what else am i missing between them?

Sorry for the loads of questions, trying to get as knowledgeable as possible on thses things though.

thanks, Dylan.
Old 03-27-13, 06:22 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're gonna swap the engine then you might as well get any SC, unless you care about the paint then you can be picky about that too. With that much money you should be able to build up your SC to a good start with an engine and transmission. If you're looking into body kits then that might cost you a little more out of your budget.
Old 03-27-13, 06:49 PM
Suncity915
Driver School Candidate

my problem is work , i work non stop with no days off for several weeks at a time so the swapping and everything being done by myself is hard to justify. one of the reasons why im primarily looking into already swapped SC's.

basically in a simple explanation heres what ill be looking for .. any year SC, swapped or NA-T , no body damage really , paint can be faded, interior in decent shape, front seats can be a bit worn. 5 speed. running and driving.

i plan on drag racing it (bracket) with weekend warrior/ afternoon cruiser capabilities, but i just need the platform to start ..
Old 03-28-13, 07:55 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

What's funny is that a month or so ago I was thinking about selling mine and getting out of the modding/sc game and I have just that kind of car. Na-t five speed with rough exterior but brand new interior and fresh engine work. I wanted like 9-10k but I would have settled for 8.

they can definitely be found. I bet at that price you can find one someplace.

Quick Reply: Wanting to pull the trigger on my First SC. some help first tho.