SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Would you??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 05:12 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I would if it were a mint condition second generation 03-05 or if it had a 2JZ-GTE in it. I'd even consider the 06 GS300 too.
Why 03-05 the very slight headlight/tail light changes will make it or break it for you ?
Old 03-29-13, 05:16 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Two totally different cars. Like way different.

It's like asking if you would trade your LS400 for a Land Cruiser.
Old 03-29-13, 05:19 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Two totally different cars. Like way different.

It's like asking if you would trade your LS400 for a Land Cruiser.
I totally agree with you on this, my only argument will be the sc stock vs stock dosent do anything much better if any in performance department . Handling , acceleration , braking , so it all comes down to style and quality . Style is very arguable as different people like different things
Old 03-29-13, 05:22 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

MDSC, just keep in mind that the 2GS was released towards the end of the 1SC's lifetime. Between 1992 and 1998, there had been many advances in technology, design, materials used etc. They aren't the same car and were released at different times, so you're somewhat comparing apples to oranges here.
Old 03-29-13, 05:33 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with this, the SC was on a legacy platform by the time the 2GS came out. Toyota didn't want to spend more money on modernizing an aging platform so they just made subtle improvements here in there. Whereas the GS was a whole new design utilizing the latest and greatest in tech and materials at the time. Can't really compare the two. Also, I do remember reading that the GS clusters also got dimmer or went out after a certain age. So they were not immune to some of the same problems the SC had. And it was also very expensive since it uses a ccfl tube that is not replaceable on the GS cluster from what I remember.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 03-29-13 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 07:51 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope...although the 2gs is a sharp car
Old 03-29-13, 09:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
I totally agree with you on this, my only argument will be the sc stock vs stock dosent do anything much better if any in performance department . Handling , acceleration , braking , so it all comes down to style and quality . Style is very arguable as different people like different things
i agree. stock vs stock, i will take my gs430 all day. its alot smoother and way more refined. however, SC's are addicting like drugs. It's unreal how much options you have with them and the aftermarket support. I wouldnt modify my GS to where it's uncomfortable to daily drive. The SC is already not very practical out of the box, so who cares if we make it even less practical lol .
Old 03-29-13, 09:18 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my SC too much, and I truly grew up with that car... So it'd be way too hard to part with..

It would only be for a 98-00 GS400.
Old 03-29-13, 10:23 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean400
No thanks. I'd rather a coupe over a sedan any day. Not that the GS looks bad. My buddy has a 2jz aristo and it looks sweet. I just think the SC is a way sexier car.
Originally Posted by 3L4jzz31
Lol touche

Guess you just can't give up the SC
Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
MDSC, just keep in mind that the 2GS was released towards the end of the 1SC's lifetime. Between 1992 and 1998, there had been many advances in technology, design, materials used etc. They aren't the same car and were released at different times, so you're somewhat comparing apples to oranges here.
I agree, No doubt if i wanted a 4 door, a GS would be at the top of the list.

Its just not me or for me right now tho.

Last edited by Joey-E; 03-29-13 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 10:38 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey-E
I dont get why you spend "thousands" on your paint and talk down about the SC, its cracked vents and seats, Yet you still own one, and say its falling apart.
lol well put, to me these issues are very minor anyways, dimming needles and hairline cracks on my vents, i can live with it , if not ill spend the whopping $150 to get them fixed.

this is a bit off topic but i started falling in love the the C4 vettes recently , even joined the vette forum , made a thread asking about the pros and cons of those cars,I was very much thinking of trying to get one, I told them i am coming from this forum and own an sc4, anyways long story short the members there are great, they were very honest and open about the issues, and after hearing about the crappy trannies, expensive parts, the rough choppy quality of the ride, the engine making less hp then ours having many more issues of failure and breakdown, the weatherstripping failure, injectors known to fail, ( the list went on and on and on) even a few memebers told me the vette is nice but 'its no lexus' and comes nowhere near the engineering of the lexus......needless to say im back in love with our cars again and im very much off the vettes

i guess my point is that the issues we deal with are in general very minor compared to other makes and models, so to use them as a reason to trade for a different car to me is not reasonable.

SC all the way
Old 03-29-13, 11:13 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said man I also got a crush on vettes
Old 03-30-13, 10:34 AM
St3alth_GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GS hands down is 10 times more solid than an SC. Like my boy MDSC said if you like driving uncomfortable and having to fix all the stuff that should not be breaking, buy an SC. Yes its a good looking car and design but i would never daily one thats for sure. I was in the passenger seat with him when we went to north carolina to a show and i must have said 10 times how I'm so glad i sold mine. When we got there my body felt like i was stuffed in a suitcase for a week. You basically have to be a midget to be comfortable on long rides. I had a 97 SC so i know and sold it after a year because i couldn't stand it anymore. On top of all the problems it began to have. Unless your really ballin and dont care to spend money on things you will never have to fix in a GS, go ahead. I bought an 03 GS and its night and day. Never looking back. Do yourself and your body the favor and it will thank you later.

Last edited by St3alth_GS; 03-30-13 at 12:55 PM. Reason: edit
Old 03-30-13, 11:44 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread isn't very good. Obviously all the GS guys are going to come in here and trash the SC. The SC guys are just going to be defending their cars.

This thread serves no purpose lets just close it.
Old 03-30-13, 12:45 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the ride or the seats on the SC is that bad I take this car on a 7 hour road trip every other month and it's not that bad, I find myself feeling fine at the end of it and ready for more, quite comparable to the ride in my old 5 series. Sure It's lowered and the ride is a bit rougher than my 5 series, but overall, it's still a good ride.
Old 03-30-13, 02:34 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean400
Obviously all the GS guys are going to come in here and trash the SC.
I didn't.

Quick Reply: Would you??