ABS Light, JVC Unit and Braking Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 11:34 AM
SPLiFFY
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question ABS Light, JVC Unit and Braking Issues

Hello Forum!

Spliffy here again, and it has been a while since I have posted on here. The last time I posted was because my 95 SC300's ECU had gone bad. That was replaced and I never had issues with her since...

UNTIL...

About a month ago I experienced random issues with Lexi and everytime I take her to the shop and they drive her/ put her on the scanner no issues show. It's like she only acts up around me!

Anyways when I'm driving and I brake, even LIGHTLY, the whole instrument panel's lights go out, my JVC unit shuts off and restarts and the ABS comes on. Now it's become so common that every single time I brake the unit shuts off , the instrument panel lights go out, and that can be frustrating because It takes me about 15 minutes to listen to a 3 minute song.

Also with the instrument panel lights fading, it has become more obvious at night because when my headlights are on and I brake, the headlights get slightly dimmer and when I take my foot off the brake it goes back to normal. Sadly I have the stock headlights still and they aren't even that bright to begin with even though I restored them.

About the ABS light, I'm not sure about that either because it does not always come on, but it does occasionally come on when I brake and the unit shuts off but then it goes right back off.

As for the unit, I do take good care of it. I try to keep it out of the heat (although I don't know if that affects the unit in any way. Florida heat isn't as bad as other places) and when it acts up I do take it out and clean the connecter but it doesn't help.

Today I was turning into a parking spot at school and for a split second the steering wheel got hard to turn and the car "vamped." By vamping I mean like for a second it was like all the energy came out of Lexi and went right back in. Sorry I don't know how to explain it better

Pre-existing Issues Before This: The check engine light has also been on for about a month now and the airbag light as been on since I've had her.

My dad is a mechanic and his best friend is also so I know Lexi is in good hands. I know they do plan to spend a day looking into her in more depth but it's been busy lately.

I just wanted to know, has anyone else has experienced any issues like this?

P.S- I've had someone tell me to trade Lexi in and get a Corolla and I had to laugh. Regardless the issues, SC series will always be timeless.

SC > All Other Cars

Thanks Everyone!
Old 04-08-13, 02:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SPLiFFY
Anyways when I'm driving and I brake, even LIGHTLY, the whole instrument panel's lights go out, my JVC unit shuts off and restarts and the ABS comes on. Now it's become so common that every single time I brake the unit shuts off , the instrument panel lights go out, and that can be frustrating because It takes me about 15 minutes to listen to a 3 minute song.
There's no such thing as braking lightly in an electrical manner. No matter how hard you press it still turns the brake lights on and draws current either way. Which is your problem......... you have a bad ground. You need to redo all your grounds both on the radio, and in the car itself to cure the other issues since many of your problems are related to spazzing out the ECU. Start at the battery and remove the wire from the clamp and sand it, then do all the others.