SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hypothetical: would things be different if the SC had come with a 1JZ-GTE in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 09:33 AM
bam11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for me I have to point out the snow mode.. there becuase of poor driving skill in rwd,.... add mor HP and we would have needed a you can't drive mode.
Old 05-20-13, 09:44 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

1JZ-GTE Soarers, especially in automatic, came with Toyota's TRAC or ETCS system. I don't know if they improved it for the 1996 revision but they definitely had traction control just like the V8 models, our SC's (excl. 5-speeds), and Supra TT's.
Old 05-20-13, 11:14 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No idea if things would be different to be honest. On different forums I've been told that my car is a ghetto rocket, lead sled, poor mans Supra, etc.
Old 05-21-13, 02:55 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jschru
basically what i'm trying to say is almost no auto manufacturer would offer two trims of the same vehicle with different motors that have a difference of less than say 50hp.
Lexus did it themselves with the 2JZ-GE and 1UZ side by side
A 5-speed 2JZ-GE vs auto 1UZ really blurs the performance advantage line.

I agree that generally they don't like to overlap motors with similar power characteristics.

That being said, the 1JZ in stock form is such a responsive motor it really puts the truck-based 1UZ to shame in just about every regard. I get the idea that v8's should be smoother than a comparable 6 cyl but in this case the 1UZ is just crude compared to the short stroke inline 6 with telepathic ceramic twins. I think it was a simple matter of lifespan remaining in the 1JZ. The Soarer was already on the market as a RHD car for a year before the 2JZ so why change such a fresh model? For the US market, the SC did not appear until almost a year later. If you're going to retool a car for a foreign LHD market with emission constraints, why drop in the already aging yet 'new to the US market' 1JZ when a 1UZ has been here for years in another car and laid out all the framework.
Doesn't hurt that american marketing mentality would favor a 4.0L v8 as an 'upgrade' over a 3L inline 6. Selling a 3.0L base model and a 2.5L higher end model just wouldn't mesh well in the post 80's car market where this newcomer Lexus was trying to establish itself as a premium alternative to GMs and Fords offerings with 8 bores.
Old 05-21-13, 09:45 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it came with a 1JZ, that model would be somewhere between the current value of a Supra TT and an NA. I like to think that the V8's and na 2J's would command Supra NA prices, but who knows.
Old 05-21-13, 10:01 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Lexus did it themselves with the 2JZ-GE and 1UZ side by side
A 5-speed 2JZ-GE vs auto 1UZ really blurs the performance advantage line.

I agree that generally they don't like to overlap motors with similar power characteristics.

That being said, the 1JZ in stock form is such a responsive motor it really puts the truck-based 1UZ to shame in just about every regard. I get the idea that v8's should be smoother than a comparable 6 cyl but in this case the 1UZ is just crude compared to the short stroke inline 6 with telepathic ceramic twins. I think it was a simple matter of lifespan remaining in the 1JZ. The Soarer was already on the market as a RHD car for a year before the 2JZ so why change such a fresh model? For the US market, the SC did not appear until almost a year later. If you're going to retool a car for a foreign LHD market with emission constraints, why drop in the already aging yet 'new to the US market' 1JZ when a 1UZ has been here for years in another car and laid out all the framework.
Doesn't hurt that american marketing mentality would favor a 4.0L v8 as an 'upgrade' over a 3L inline 6. Selling a 3.0L base model and a 2.5L higher end model just wouldn't mesh well in the post 80's car market where this newcomer Lexus was trying to establish itself as a premium alternative to GMs and Fords offerings with 8 bores.
Very well said.

Interesting thing is that in the Japanese market, Soarers had only two engine options for the first couple of years: 2.5L turbo inline-six with 280hp or a 4.0L 250hp V8. Manual option only on the turbo of course. Around 1995 the V8 was discontinued and they changed the options to: 3.0L non-turbo inline-six 225hp and the same 280hp turbo six.

I find it fascinating that upon introduction, the '91 Soarers really had no underpowered base model... just a choice of engines. I think the V8 was discontinued because of the high tax rate on engines at 4.0L or more over there.