SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Your thoughts-SC300 or SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 09:08 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I personally would go for the SC400, just because I have little desire to own a V6, only want a V8.

But best choice for you seems to be the SC300.
Old 04-23-13, 11:38 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Greyfox, I have to also vote in strong favor of a 1998-2000 SC400 if you also happen to locate one of those. That is the best of all SC400's and SC300's stock for stock unless an automatic transmission bothers you (I'm guessing it doesn't).

As to your Chevy SSR, I love those cruiser trucks. That's a keeper regardless of it having 300hp or 400hp!
Old 04-24-13, 05:34 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I have owned both and I don't think you would be unhappy with either. The 300 feels lighter, the 400 delivers the torque and sounds nice when you ask it to go hard.

That said, I now own a 300 which I bought largely because of its condition. I say, negotiate on the 300.
Old 04-24-13, 05:35 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I personally would go for the SC400, just because I have little desire to own a V6, only want a V8.

But best choice for you seems to be the SC300.
For the record, it is a straight six.

Old 04-24-13, 05:57 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of driving do you mostly do? Hwy or city? The SC400 is a well mannered hwy car that cruises effortlessly. I've owned both. I don't like how high the rpm's are on the 300's at hwy speeds but they zip around town like nobody's business. I currently have a 97 SC400. I just like the overall smoothness of the V8.
Old 04-24-13, 06:05 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtsfire
What kind of driving do you mostly do? Hwy or city? The SC400 is a well mannered hwy car that cruises effortlessly. I've owned both. I don't like how high the rpm's are on the 300's at hwy speeds but they zip around town like nobody's business. I currently have a 97 SC400. I just like the overall smoothness of the V8.
Yeah the gearing on the 300 leaves a lot to be asked for at higher speeds, but lots of get up and go at lower speeds. At some point I will swap out this W54 for a r154 or better a getrag 6 speed, 3500 rpm's to cruise at 75 kind of sucks tbh.
Old 04-24-13, 06:06 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Greyfox, I believe this really comes down to what you want from the car. If you're interested in keeping the car as-is for the most part and enjoy it for what it is, you have to decide if you want the 225hp inline-six SC300 or 250hp V8 SC400. The power is not that different-- just it's manner of delivery. The V8 is a nice car and I don't get the impression that you're interested in converting either car to a manual transmission (which some people do with these cars).

As was mentioned above, Leatherseats.com can sell you replacement leather for your worn out seats. This is a common issue that many owners address.

The bodies will be the exactly the same as will be the suspensions. Brakes are marginally larger on the SC400 BUT I do recommend that with either car you change the front brakes to those from a 1995 LS400 regardless of which model you buy. This change makes either version much safer and more confident to stop.

The dealer serviced SC300 will have probably been gone through much more thoroughly than the independently serviced SC400 but there are plenty of good independent Lexus shops too.

BOTH engines are extremely well engineered and reliable with regular maintenance. You will find that the model SC300 engine you are looking at can use nearly all the parts from the 1993-1997 (not 1998) Toyota Supra non-turbo since the engine and transmission is the same between both cars. This makes parts somewhat cheaper to buy. The V8 shares commonality with the 1990-1997 Lexus LS400 and (I think) some models of V8 Toyota trucks. Things like hood and trunk struts and other miscellaneous repairs need not use parts from a Lexus dealer.

Overall you are looking at two low mileage cars that seem to have been taken care of. I feel this comes down to which car you would enjoy owning most: the V8 or the inline-six.

For those of us who want to convert the car into what the more powerful Japanese market version was, the SC300 is the better option but this would only apply to you if you wish to get into modifying the car's drivetrain. Since you are in California, it would not be a cheap endeavor to modify the engine and stay smog legal. You may not be interested at all in exploiting the muscle car potential these cars are known for. That is an avenue not for everyone. There is no issue with legality in modifying the rest of the car, FYI (IF you wished to).

Both the SC300 and SC400 are sporty, reliable and capable luxury cars regardless of whether they are modified or not.

But I do suggest converting the front brakes to 1995-99 LS400 spec regardless of which model you buy and regardless of whether the car otherwise remains as it came from the factory or not.

Good luck!
^^^ Like this guy said .

If you wanna keep the engine and not deal with engine swap and enjoy it get the V8

If you want some boost in your life get the SC300 cheaper to boost

gl
Old 04-24-13, 06:58 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me personally I would get the 300 since it sounds like its in great condition. But I have never owned a straight six. I'm a muscle car guy in terms of engine. I like V8s. Whether its a Lexus, mustang, camaro, or a Cadillac CTS-V. But my last car was a Lexus GS400. Now I drive a SC400. But I'm the guy that likes to mod cars and doesn't want to spend a whole lot of money fixing stuff. So go with the cleanest one
Old 04-24-13, 07:19 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee1
For the record, it is a straight six.

Haha, glad I'm not the only one that bothered

And I say go for the 300 over the 400!
Old 04-24-13, 09:14 AM
Greyfox
Driver School Candidate

Default Second Look

Yesterday I went back to San Jose and drove the 300 (I didn't drive it before). I am dealing with the nephew of the owner so I don't get 100% of the info. I was ready to make an offer if the car drove as expected. Now I have some concerns that even though it is VERY nice, it isn't as "perfect" as I first thought.
1-He hands me the key, the remote doesn't work. Probably just the battery.
2- I start the car- the A/C doesn't work. It was 86 degrees and hot inside.
3- I drive off and I can't read the speedo. It works but the lights in the dial are out.
4- I turn the left turn signal and it flashes fast (bulb out in front).

Car drives great, as quiet and smooth as it should be, no squeaks or rattles. Smooth and straight on the freeway.

I am taking a step back, if this was so well maintained why not at least fix the little stuff (1 & 4)?

Anyway thanks for all the input.

I am going to attempt to post a pic of my SSR.
Attached Thumbnails Your thoughts-SC300 or SC400-ssr-boards-004.jpg  
Old 04-24-13, 09:26 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the VIN number, you can enter it on Lexus.com and see the entire history at lexus. Maybe they took care of it but stopped when the AC went (and got another car they love) or something.

Those are common problems and pretty cheap except the AC unit.

If everything else checks out, these things are opportunities for you to WALLOP him on the price.
SWEET SSR! WOW!
Old 04-24-13, 09:27 AM
mattjk
Driver

One thing to consider, my 97 SC300 that I got in 9/10 condition got a blown head gasket at 110k miles. I thought this was more common on the 7mge engine, but after searching around, I found a lot of people with the 2jzge getting BHG because of the paper thin gasket.

https://www.google.com/#safe=off&out...w=1600&bih=775

If you do get the SC300, be sure to get the engine checked out thoroughly. waterfall noises behind the dash, water in oil, and exhaust gas detection in the coolant system.

I got a BHG 1.5 weeks after purchasing my car... it was super clean too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html
Old 04-24-13, 09:32 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mattjk
One thing to consider, my 97 SC300 that I got in 9/10 condition got a blown head gasket at 110k miles. I thought this was more common on the 7mge engine, but after searching around, I found a lot of people with the 2jzge getting BHG because of the paper thin gasket.

https://www.google.com/#safe=off&out...w=1600&bih=775

If you do get the SC300, be sure to get the engine checked out thoroughly. waterfall noises behind the dash, water in oil, and exhaust gas detection in the coolant system.

I got a BHG 1.5 weeks after purchasing my car... it was super clean too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html
WOW! Important points above! Take it to Lexus for a diagnostic. Split the difference.
Old 04-24-13, 10:58 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1-He hands me the key, the remote doesn't work. Probably just the battery. (Under the steering wheel on the left hand side there is a swich to turn on and off the remote key unlock. If it's the key's battery it's a simple fix that you could do yourself).
2- I start the car- the A/C doesn't work. It was 86 degrees and hot inside. (I fixed this by buying a remanufactured A/C compressor on ebay. I don't know what the issue is with your A/C but it could be a lot of things. A new compressor cost $300. The labor was $500 if I remember. I don't know how good the price for the repair was but my A/C has been working great ever since).
3- I drive off and I can't read the speedo. It works but the lights in the dial are out. (http://www.lextech.org/osCommerce/ He's a well known clublexus forum member that fixes the Dash lights. This is a common problem. The dealer probably charges a lot to fix this. The average owner probably doesn't even know lextech exists to fix this problem. On top of that when you get your Dash back from lextech it will be better than new. $200 from lextech)
4- I turn the left turn signal and it flashes fast (bulb out in front).

There is probably $1000 in repairs (fix A/C and lextech dash) if you want the car to be perfect.

The SC400 you mentioned has ripped seats which would be almost the same cost to repair after labour. Unless you do it yourself.

I would go as far to say that everyone suffers from dash and needle issues at some point. It's on my list of things to fix.

Correct me if I'm wrong people but I know the SC300 is a very reliable engine. I think the SC400's engine is even more reliable. Some would consider the SC400's engine bulletproof (like myself lol). I've seen SC400s with 400,000kms running without issue.

Last edited by Clean400; 04-24-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-24-13, 12:01 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Even the A/C might just involve a re-charge at most. You can't tell but it is better to assume the worst.

That said, negotiate down in the event you need the dough.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts-SC300 or SC400