SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I want a SC 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-03, 06:01 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks TealLexusSC400
But also do you think that the SC400 will be the better choice if I could have the SC 430. By the way I think the SC 400 looks better.
Old 01-01-03, 06:04 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was 15 I wanted an XKE - -

When I was 18 and got my first car, it was a Volvo - -

Now that I've been driving 40 years, finally got the SC400, great car, but like the XKE, $expensive$ to maintain properly, complex, not the best car to own when learning the realities of car ownership, methinks - I agree fwd is not cool, but a "lesser" rwd car as a first car may be easier on your brain and pockets - -
Old 01-01-03, 10:42 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

I'll probably go for a old stock Civic for my first car and get the SC 400 when I'm 19 or 20 years old. I really wanted to have the SC 400 in high school. I hate all those rich kids in their parents M3s and ***** they hadn't paid for or work for. There goes the thought of owning a Black SC 400 with: Auto Couture kit, 20 Chromes, 35% tints, Inch lowered, H.I.D.s, and LED Tail Lights. Dang!!!
Old 01-01-03, 10:48 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Oh and I know this Senior in High School and he bought a Daewoo Langza for $20,000 new and just 16" custom wheels and the rest stock. I was yelling at him saying why did you spend that on a Daewoo. Who drives Daewoos anyway. I could of got a low mileage SC 400, Auto Couture Kit, and the chromed 20s. Maybe even leftover for exhaust and intake. That guy says he doesn't even like Lexuses, but I think he was kinda pissed off that he was stuck with such a piece of *****.
Old 01-02-03, 12:49 AM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lsportline43
Oh and I know this Senior in High School and he bought a Daewoo Langza for $20,000 new and just 16" custom wheels and the rest stock. I was yelling at him saying why did you spend that on a Daewoo. Who drives Daewoos anyway. I could of got a low mileage SC 400, Auto Couture Kit, and the chromed 20s. Maybe even leftover for exhaust and intake. That guy says he doesn't even like Lexuses, but I think he was kinda pissed off that he was stuck with such a piece of *****.

hmm 20k for a Daewoo... The only thing that could make a Daewoo worth that much is if there was a suitcase with $14,000 in the trunk when he bought it...
Old 01-02-03, 01:41 AM
Lexgendboi
Driver

I'll probably go for a old stock Civic for my first car and get the SC 400 when I'm 19 or 20 years old. I really wanted to have the SC 400 in high school. I hate all those rich kids in their parents M3s and ***** they hadn't paid for or work for. There goes the thought of owning a Black SC 400 with: Auto Couture kit, 20 Chromes, 35% tints, Inch lowered, H.I.D.s, and LED Tail Lights. Dang!!!

Lsportline43, i know how tempting it feels, but i really think u shouldn't get a nice and powerful car for your first driving experience. I know this guy just got his license and a brand new S2000, young and playful so he raced with another S2000, lost control of the car and crashed, cut the car into two pieces, killing himself and a close friend of mine on this christmas day.
If you can, get an economy ride first for your daily commute of work or school. After a year or two then get a Lexus. It benefits for your insurance as well as saving you from being "rich kid of momy and daddy" and you don't have to work extra hard to maintenance the nice ride. If you see the Dodge commercial about the guy with a bimmer has to work deliver pizza while his friends were going to a party, then you'll know what i mean. Trust me, it would be better to have an economy car for work and around town for little business and a hot, nice car for weekend hangout than stuck with a nice car for everything. As for modding car, everyone was right, as time fly, you'll benefits lot from it. The Lexus will always be there when you're ready, just make yourself ready first.
Old 01-02-03, 03:07 AM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

LSportline..

You have to know, us current Lexus owners have one HUGE problem.. We get WAY to addicted to Lexus cars and Customer service that we end up going broke just buying the crap we don't really need or want, sometimes we even purchase another Lexus just because they are so nice.. We hate ourselves for falling prey to this temtation. Be carefull about purchasing a Lexus, they are like Smoking Cigarettes, once you buy one you have to buy another, then another, then another..
Old 01-02-03, 07:21 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexgendboi gave excellent advise. It is very frustrating when you are younger and say something breaks and you can't afford to get it fixed. Wait a couple of years and do it right. The SC400 is a great car - it will be there when you are ready. Try to also get a stick for your first car; You will learn a necessary skill early in life. A simple 4 banger (Toyota, Honda) is also a great way to learn about cars. You can do a lot of the work yourself, won't be intimidated, and will learn a ton. You sound like you have a level head for your age. Good luck!
Old 01-02-03, 04:47 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Smile I hear ya

I can't believe that happened to your friend with the S2000. I hope that doesn't happen to anyone else on ClubLexus. I sometimes wish my parents could have that kind of money to buy me a S2000, but I don't think I could really appreiciatate a good car like I do if my parents did.
This reminds me of the game Gran Turismo 3. At the beginning you are stuck with the little 4 speed Honda Civic and your so pissed that you can't get that Corvette C-5 R. But in the Arcade mode I can drive the Corvette C-5 R and all I can do is spin out over and over again. After all the races with the Honda at, 90 mph top speed, I finally get enough money to buy a better car and wow I can really drive better. I can push the car to the edge, but not off of it. I also remember how hard it was for me to go from automatic in that game to manual. I would always be in the wrong gear. But I sticked to it and it was really worth it because the stick is so much better than the auto.
Old 01-03-03, 12:19 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

im new around here, but know too much about cars. anyways, when i got my car, i didnt expect it, i ask for a acura integra GSR, dad came home with a 95 sc400
my dad got it for only 1 thousand bucks, because the car was left at his shop over 6 months, and the insurance sold it to my dad for the price of the damage. it cost him 1 thousand bucks to fix it, parts, etc.
my dad owns an auto body shop, so it cost me nothing to fix.
anways, i got my car when i was 17, and a senior in high school, i still remember the day pulling into the schools parking lot, and everyone jocking my car, and then they saw me come out, and they're like WTF?
anways, i was the only kid in school with a lexus, everyone else had their crappy honda, and american cars. everyone always think im loaded, just some asian kid wearing new clothes every week.
after owning my car for about a year, its great, the next thing im doing to it is a 2jz-gte swap, my homie is going to get a nice hookup deal on a supra front clip.

peace

Last edited by NRG; 01-03-03 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-03-03, 01:24 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Question Another Question

Why can't the Swift Racing Technologies' Twin Turbo, that is on the GS 400s, fit on the SC 400s' V8. Aren't the 1998+ SC 400s and the GS 400 the same 4.0 Liter Variable Valve Timing with intelligence V8. Maybe I just haven't seen it on the SC 400 yet, but if it is possible then why are there so many people that have it on the GS 400, but there aren't any SC 400 owners with it. What I'm saying is if it is possible for the SC 400 to have the Swift Racing Technologies' Twin Turbo then why aren't there any people with it.
Old 01-03-03, 02:30 AM
theverve
Driver School Candidate

well, i understand where he's coming from. my first dream car was a mitsu 3000gt VR4 - not too expensive if you get an early model. the problem with that is that the insurance would probably end up being more than the car. then i moved on to sc300/400. the car would be a bit more expensive, but the insurance would be a bit less, and nothing beats the smooth ride of a lexus, as ive learned with my mom's LS. but then reality struck and i realized i had a free car sitting in front of my house (no matter how crappy it was). my great grandma gave me her car when she died (a 1986 ford tempo) and as horrible as it is, its wheels, and its free. so i got a job to start saving up for a new car..hoping to get a lexus, but i finally decided that its not worth it at this point. im going to be going to college in a little over a year, so ill have a car that i spent so much time saving up for sitting at home for 4 years, only to be getting close to 15-20 years old when i finally graduate. instead im planning on getting a nissan 240sx. i know it doesnt compare to an SC, but its a fraction of the price, and i realized that a 16 year old doesnt need a lexus as his first car. just a thought - start slow and have something to look forward to, cuz after the SC, really the only thing that could be nicer is an aston martin.
Old 01-03-03, 03:04 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Default Amazing Discussion

It is so far an amazing discussion for this topic. I think someone put it into perspective just own a manual / toyota first and learn lots skills and then get a lexus at an older age. That's my experience as well.
Old 01-03-03, 03:43 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the help. I'll take your advice and get a car to learn from and get the SC 400 later.
Old 01-03-03, 06:26 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Another Question

Originally posted by Lsportline43
Why can't the Swift Racing Technologies' Twin Turbo, that is on the GS 400s, fit on the SC 400s' V8.
If you've seen pictures of the GS400TT engine bays, you'll soon discover that there is no way in hell all that plumbing will fit into an SC400 engine bay.

Quick Reply: I want a SC 400