SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So who like project cars!!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 09:33 PM
SuperwetSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So who like project cars!!?

I came on here to ask if anyone has ever traded a nicer stock SC for a more troubled model,
because mine has little stupid problems here and there and i just dont have the time for it anymore.
so i was seeing if anyone has ever experienced it. if you have, let me know the circumstances.
Old 05-01-13, 09:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What's wrong with your SC and what are you thinking of getting to replace it. Properly maintained, you can't beat the reliability of the SC IMO
Old 05-01-13, 10:10 PM
SuperwetSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What's wrong with your SC and what are you thinking of getting to replace it. Properly maintained, you can't beat the reliability of the SC IMO
Im planing on replacing it with another sc lol this next one will be my third one! i luuubb this car but its just a pain in the a** with my schedule.
Old 05-01-13, 10:18 PM
SuperwetSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What's wrong with your SC
- the door panels are broken so i roll without them (lol)
-driver side actuator is bad
-door open light wont go off, wich causes battery to die.
- needs a cat to pass smog.
-you have to open the door from passenger side
-driver door handledosent work

** BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS FINE**
Old 05-02-13, 08:16 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are some dumb problems that shouldn't be happening. I was getting pretty mad that I had to do my maintenance service costing about 1k, feeling a little better knowing my car is fine now though
Old 05-02-13, 09:25 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperwetSC

Those are such minor problems they could all be fixed in a day or two on the weekend. No offense but maybe buy a camry if those issues are enough to want to get rid of your car
Old 05-02-13, 09:49 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my SC a couple days ago trading my LS400 with a leak from the crank seal. Mechanically this car runs great, my problems with mine are my ac blows but isnt cold, idk how the AC Clutch is supposed to react but mine doesnt spin much. My door panels are destroyed, my window actuators are gone, and it just needs some interior work, it was a rebuilt title from theft in 2002. so they just pulled everything out and stripped it. the only thing that would take me a while is figuring out my AC, my interior problems are just a matter of me finding them and buying them. there arent many SC's in the junkyard here in vegas. And i don't want to spend $200 on new window regulators so im ok using my hands lol.
Old 05-02-13, 09:54 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperwetSC

Door panels are fixable for 6 bucks...
Actuator isn't too bad, get one cheap off of CL.
Door open light has a switch that every time the door closes, it presses the button so the light turns off. Button is probably just broken.
Cat's are a pain in the butt...but still not too bad...
The door handles aren't that bad. If anything, I'd buy an SC just like that and have it fixed in a couple days.Your schedule is crammed I guess so I understand totally...but just to let you know, you have one of the best most reliable vehicles on the road right now...
Old 05-02-13, 11:21 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an idea for you. People on this very thread can tell you what parts to buy. PM "Aliga" (member who sells parts for Sc) to see what he has for you first. Where in Cali are you? Post here and in classifieds for a CL member who knows the repairs, to come over on a saturday and help you. You pay him, and learn how to make those repairs yourself and will never pay for them again.

It will be so much cheaper AND better then a dealership etc.

We see it as doors and a cat.

You can even get the part, then have a budget shop weld the cat if need be.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-02-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 12:16 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've considered trading my SC for a swapped car. I don't have the mechanical skills, money, or knowledge to swap an engine myself. But then again, if I can't swap an engine, then I have no reason in owning a high horsepower turbo car in case something breaks or requires troubleshooting.

I can however follow our stickies really well, and your problems SuperwetSC are very simple and easily found by searching. I've come to realize that no one will help you like club lexus in your time of need.
Old 05-02-13, 12:58 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I've come to realize that no one will help you like club lexus in your time of need.
True dat'...true dat.
Old 05-02-13, 01:36 PM
SuperwetSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
Those are some dumb problems that shouldn't be happening. I was getting pretty mad that I had to do my maintenance service costing about 1k, feeling a little better knowing my car is fine now though
yeah but thats the thing.. i dont HAVE money or time right now. but i would make me feel alot better if they were fixed!! lol
Old 05-02-13, 01:39 PM
SuperwetSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tabaka
your problems SuperwetSC are very simple and easily found by searching. I've come to realize that no one will help you like club lexus in your time of need.
lol i know i tried when i had the time! and thats why I love you guys haha
Old 05-02-13, 01:44 PM
SuperwetSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Door panels are fixable for 6 bucks...
Actuator isn't too bad, get one cheap off of CL.
Door open light has a switch that every time the door closes, it presses the button so the light turns off. Button is probably just broken.
Cat's are a pain in the butt...but still not too bad...
The door handles aren't that bad. If anything, I'd buy an SC just like that and have it fixed in a couple days.Your schedule is crammed I guess so I understand totally...but just to let you know, you have one of the best most reliable vehicles on the road right now...
noooo the door open light on the dash.. but every thing else yeah it is easy to fix.. i got it once but the metal i was using was too brittle and just bent and snapped, wich broke the actuator and made it to where i cant unlock the door on the driver side!
Old 05-02-13, 01:48 PM
SuperwetSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by sj408
Those are such minor problems they could all be fixed in a day or two on the weekend. No offense but maybe buy a camry if those issues are enough to want to get rid of your car
Come on bro... we just got a 30 day notice and i dont have money to spend on the car right now because now we need to find a house... i know that they are little problems to fix but i have work, school, and nephews to watch. so fixing it or having someone fix it is completely out of the question.

Quick Reply: So who like project cars!!?