SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

IMPORTANT - Center vent part availability

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-02, 01:04 PM
SMARK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMPORTANT - Center vent part availability

I discovered that the SC center vent assembly is different for SCs depending on the passenger airbag. You can no longer get the assembly without the wood trim if you have a passenger airbag. With trim it's ~$700!
Old 12-31-02, 01:55 PM
LexFather

Ouch
Old 12-31-02, 03:08 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

SMARK,

Great info, and excellent photos on the how-2 DIY of the center vent. I think this helps tons of people. Any reason why you spanned this information over THREE threads instead of just posting replies to your own thread? This would be much more helpful so that people can get all the information on these faulty vents in one place. You know how much people HATE to SEARCH.

Thanks again.

MW
Old 01-02-03, 11:23 AM
SMARK
Driver

When I first posted the DIY, the system wouldn't allow me to post it as one message because it had too many images. Therefore, I had to split it into two messages. To be honest with you, I was hurriedly doing this before my New Years Eve preparations and I didn't think about posting the second half as reply to the first one. However, all is right in the world again - it was modified into one post instead of two.

I had posted the DIY before I actually had my replacement assembly in hand. When the replacement assembly arrived I discovered that Lexus sent the wrong one and that the correct one without wooden trim was not available. I felt this information was important enough to know before starting the removal of the glove box and airbag, so I posted it separately with its own subject line. If the moderators think this a problem, I have no objection to it being deleted.

Last edited by SMARK; 01-03-03 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-02-03, 01:17 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: IMPORTANT - Center vent part availability

Originally posted by SMARK
I discovered that the SC center vent assembly is different for SCs depending on the passenger airbag. You can no longer get the assembly without the wood trim if you have a passenger airbag. With trim it's ~$700!
Okay we are talking at least two or three different parts here though right?

92 - no passenger airbag
93-96 - airbag inline with wood trim
97-00 - airbag moved to the top of the dashboard

I guess the 92 and 97-00 could be the same part but I am not sure.
Old 01-02-03, 01:25 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: IMPORTANT - Center vent part availability

Originally posted by Hermosa

Okay we are talking at least two or three different parts here though right?

92 - no passenger airbag
93-96 - airbag inline with wood trim
97-00 - airbag moved to the top of the dashboard

I guess the 92 and 97-00 could be the same part but I am not sure.
Okay did a little research.

92 - Instrument Panel, 1992, Air Outlet Vent, Center $124.90MSRP $99.92Street

We would have to confirm but this part might fit every year.

See part number 7 Below.

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-02-03 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-02-03, 03:22 PM
SMARK
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: IMPORTANT - Center vent part availability

Originally posted by Hermosa

Okay did a little research.

92 - Instrument Panel, 1992, Air Outlet Vent, Center $124.90MSRP $99.92Street

We would have to confirm but this part might fit every year.

See part number 7 Below.
The center vent assembly without wood trim for cars without passenger airbag is 55660-24071.

The center vent assembly without wood trim for cars with passenger airbag is 55660-24081. But this part is not available.

The center vent assembly with wood trim for cars with passenger airbag is 55011-24041. (I negotiated with my Lexus dealer about the price on this part.)

There might be other part numbers for this part. These are the numbers I found out about. I would have the dealer verify the part number for your year model.

Last edited by SMARK; 01-03-03 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-02-03, 07:10 PM
jwar
Driver

Why don't you just do what I did, fill in the cracks with body filler and get the platic painted black at a body shop for cheap. You lose the little white open and closed signs but you save tons of money. Looks better than new.
Old 01-02-03, 09:19 PM
SMARK
Driver

Originally posted by jwar
Why don't you just do what I did, fill in the cracks with body filler and get the platic painted black at a body shop for cheap. You lose the little white open and closed signs but you save tons of money. Looks better than new.
Mine was falling apart and had other broken parts than just cracks in the corners, so it was better to replace it. I think if you make the repair as soon as you see the cracks, then one could do as you suggest.

Last edited by SMARK; 01-03-03 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-02-03, 11:44 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to replace mine and was planning on doing it soon. Please tell me there is another way. I don't see why the earlier part 55660-24071 wouldn't work in 93+ cars. Can someone find this part without the wood?
Old 01-03-03, 04:23 AM
SMARK
Driver

Originally posted by Ryan
I need to replace mine and was planning on doing it soon. Please tell me there is another way. I don't see why the earlier part 55660-24071 wouldn't work in 93+ cars. Can someone find this part without the wood?
Your Lexus dealer should be able to get the -24071 part. But you can't just make a simple substitution for the correct part. For starters, the wooden trim won't fit over it without being modified. Then the end of the assembly would have to be modified to attach it to the dash without interfering with the airbag. If you get the -24071, make sure your dealer will allow you to return it if you decide not to modify it. If you are lucky your dealer will have both the 55660-24071 and the 55011-24041 so you can examine them before you begin.

FWIW - I think Lexus really dropped the ball on this by not having the 55660-24081 available. They had to know that at least since the mid 90s they had a poor, if not defective part that only lasts a few years. This is the the third or fourth time that mine has been replaced. A car that listed for ~$42,000 in 92-93 shouldn't have this problem. Now the ~$165 (list) replacement part is not available - at least according to two dealers in my area. You have to buy the assembly with wooden trim that you probably don't need or will ever need, for ~$700 (list). Lucky for me, one of my dealers has a parts manager who agreed with me and made a deal with me on this part. Maybe your dealer will too.

Last edited by SMARK; 01-03-03 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-03-03, 01:53 PM
jwar
Driver

You've replaced this 3 or 4 times? Wow.
The reason it cracks is because of the quick change in temperature. When its cold outside you ram hot air next to that piece of thin plastic. It expands too quickly and it cracks. If you've had the piece off your car you'll be able to see how thin some parts are. You can keep on replacing it or you can find another solution. If you are too lazy to take my first suggestion and body fill the cracks then you should at least reinforce the weak parts of the piece when you get a new one. That way you can avoid spending $700 (I think thats the going rate) 3 or 4 times. The funny thing is that if this wasn't an automotive part it would cost like 5 bucks.
Just my two cents.
Old 01-03-03, 02:40 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Jwar,

I think you are on the right track.

Reinforcing the piece will help alot. I would also suggest trimming down the edges so that the expansion does not crack the piece from the tight fit. By leaving expansion space and then refitting it, I wouldn't think it would crack again.

MW
Old 01-03-03, 03:04 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default cool

That's a cool schmatic photo above. VERY helpful
Old 01-03-03, 03:15 PM
SMARK
Driver

Originally posted by jwar
You've replaced this 3 or 4 times? Wow.
The reason it cracks is because of the quick change in temperature. When its cold outside you ram hot air next to that piece of thin plastic. It expands too quickly and it cracks. If you've had the piece off your car you'll be able to see how thin some parts are. You can keep on replacing it or you can find another solution. If you are too lazy to take my first suggestion and body fill the cracks then you should at least reinforce the weak parts of the piece when you get a new one. That way you can avoid spending $700 (I think thats the going rate) 3 or 4 times. The funny thing is that if this wasn't an automotive part it would cost like 5 bucks.
Just my two cents.
Lazy?! Right, I'm too lazy to reinforce it, but not lazy enough to remove and reinstall the glove box, airbag, and vent. To be honest with you, I was going to have my dad do the reinforcing because he builds RC planes and uses various composites. He has the materials and experience that I don't have. I may take it back out and reinforce it. But at this time it wasn't convenient for either of us. BTW - I've owned the car for almost 10 years since I bought it new. I don't want you to think it's been replaced 3-4 times in the last few years.

IIRC, the first time it was replaced under warranty by Lexus. The second time the dealer replaced it at a reduced rate because it's a continuing problem. This time I replaced it myself, but the dealer sold it to me for half price because of the problems with this part. I can't say for sure if it was replaced another time unless I go through my records.

Not that it matters - I don't 100% buy the cold air / hot air / expansion explanation. That's a hypothesis. It may be cracking from simple vibration. It may be a combination of (those) factors. I would think the other vents would have the same problem. Perhaps they are thicker on the corners. I haven't examined one. And other parts of the vent assembly that are not in the airflow were completely broken off, too. However, I do agree that reinforcing the corners probably makes the parts last longer. I also agree that it costs so much simply because it's an automotive AND a Lexus part.

Last edited by SMARK; 01-03-03 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT - Center vent part availability