SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97 SC300 Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 09:10 AM
RedVex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 SC300 Cluster Repair

Hey guys, my 97 sc300 cluster doesn't work, the speedometer doesn't move, the odometer doesn't light up any numbers and the temp gauge doesn't move, it also doesn't show what gear the automatic is in.
I was quoted like $500 to fix it in a local shop, i was wondering if anyone else has had theirs fixed and what it cost, or if its worth it to just buy a new(used) one?

This isn't my cluster, but its the same cluster.
Old 05-10-13, 01:33 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a used one... you could probably get one from here on the forums for around $100.
Old 05-10-13, 03:26 PM
RedVex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DONT SLEEP
Buy a used one... you could probably get one from here on the forums for around $100.
Thats what i figured, $500 is just retarded. When i get home i'll take a look for one here on the forums.
Old 05-11-13, 08:27 AM
Kobeone
Driver School Candidate

I got my needles and backlight changed from a guy on eBay I think his name is Jason tanin user name taninelectronix he can repair any cluster issues motors etc and he tests them as well. As for my burnt needles and change backlight it was 200$ I'm almost positive I read he can change motors too just search sc300 cluster on eBay and you will find him
Old 05-11-13, 12:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

^^ That has nothing to do with his motherboard issue. The master controller is going bad causing several things to fail in the line of that chip. This cluster needs to be replaced ONLY. That is a problem that will only come back to haunt you, even IF you could find that chip..... which nobody has.... or for that matter can change without a reflow machine. Those chips are very easy to burn up reflowing. They are wafer thin and nobody will risk that. The bottom line is this cluster is toast. Find one on ebay. I have a 97 cluster spare, but I think it is a 5 speed one and I know the backlight is on the fritz so it would not solve but a couple of your problems.
Old 05-11-13, 05:33 PM
RedVex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kobeone
I got my needles and backlight changed from a guy on eBay I think his name is Jason tanin user name taninelectronix he can repair any cluster issues motors etc and he tests them as well. As for my burnt needles and change backlight it was 200$ I'm almost positive I read he can change motors too just search sc300 cluster on eBay and you will find him
I will definitely look him up thanks.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
^^ That has nothing to do with his motherboard issue. The master controller is going bad causing several things to fail in the line of that chip. This cluster needs to be replaced ONLY. That is a problem that will only come back to haunt you, even IF you could find that chip..... which nobody has.... or for that matter can change without a reflow machine. Those chips are very easy to burn up reflowing. They are wafer thin and nobody will risk that. The bottom line is this cluster is toast. Find one on ebay. I have a 97 cluster spare, but I think it is a 5 speed one and I know the backlight is on the fritz so it would not solve but a couple of your problems.
Thank you a ton, this was the post i was hoping for, I will be looking around for a new cluster, i figured it was beyond repair when near half of the things don't work on it (unlike the common problems i've seen posted)