SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 09:49 AM
Jos
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Studiogeek, my guess is that the Altezza lights had separate running lights and brake lights. That green wire, due to the fact that the running lights do not work, is probably the switched power wire to them.
I would take all the power wires from each running light and splice them together (or find where they run to) and then splice that green wire into them. That should work.

If it doesn't...Let me know.
Old 05-15-13, 12:53 PM
NixusSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great! i would think if you had the 1 lone wire, shouldn't there be a lone wire on the other side of the connection???

u polished the taillights as well, didn't u geek?
Old 05-15-13, 01:08 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jos
Studiogeek, my guess is that the Altezza lights had separate running lights and brake lights. That green wire, due to the fact that the running lights do not work, is probably the switched power wire to them.
I would take all the power wires from each running light and splice them together (or find where they run to) and then splice that green wire into them. That should work.

If it doesn't...Let me know.
Jos, You are right, they do have separate running/brake lights. What you are saying makes sense. I have a multimeter that i don't really know how to use properly yet but I am going to see if I can find some info on the web. Before splicing, I am going to see if there is a break in the green wire on the car harness side. I'll turn the lights on and see if the green wire gets power as it should. If not maybe i can re-run it. Does that make sense to do first? (then splice If i can't find the problem)
Thank You!!!

Originally Posted by NixusSC
looks great! i would think if you had the 1 lone wire, shouldn't there be a lone wire on the other side of the connection???

u polished the taillights as well, didn't u geek?
the loose green wire is on the headlight harness, I'll ck the other light harness. The other splice was a wire going from the left light harness to the right, spliced into the green wires and spliced in at least one more place but I can't remember where.

Thank You!!

And yes I did polish them
Just a quick one before i put them on. I'm going to do it seriously after i get them working.
Old 05-15-13, 02:25 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it makes sense to use the multi-meter to see if the green wire is getting power when it is supposed to be switched on, definitely worth a try, but may I suggest something far simpler? Replace the bulb, it may be that you did the wiring correctly, but one of the bulbs just happened to go bad when it was shipped to you, or removed off the old car. I recently upgraded my tails to 97's, and spent a lil while digging around on the harness with my DMM before I had the bright idea to simply replace the bulb, now everything works fine.
Old 05-15-13, 02:25 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I can't even believe the difference that alone made, looking good, I would try and remove all the splices and match the original wires back up hopefully that should get it all working again.
It shouldn't be too hard to get the running light working again thats all that seems to be left If I am seeing right.
also make sure the bulb is good, try swapping with the ones from the other side, they can go bad if you start moving the tail lights around alot.
The tail light harness unplugs from in the trunk, so worst case scenario you just swap it out for a good one, like when I went from 95 to 97 tails, I took out the old harness with the tails, and put the 97 harness and tails in. I have the original 95 harnesses somewhere but finding them would be the hardest part.
Ali,
Yes, that is what I believe i did. It's just a hunch but I think maybe the green (switched power?) line on the cars harness may be dead on the left side. Maybe thats why it was spliced from the right side harness. Maybe if I can find where it starts, I can re-run the wire back to the harness/light. The harness on the light looks good but never know.

Thanks Man,
Going back out there to battle some more.
Old 05-15-13, 02:28 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eknine9
Yes, it makes sense to use the multi-meter to see if the green wire is getting power when it is supposed to be switched on, definitely worth a try, but may I suggest something far simpler? Replace the bulb, it may be that you did the wiring correctly, but one of the bulbs just happened to go bad when it was shipped to you, or removed off the old car. I recently upgraded my tails to 97's, and spent a lil while digging around on the harness with my DMM before I had the bright idea to simply replace the bulb, now everything works fine.
I didn't go get new ones but all three on top would have to be out as well as the spares and such. I dug up 6 bulbs and not one came on. I will try swapping the bulbs from the right side as I know they work. The fact that there are three, made me think its not the bulbs

Thank You..
Old 05-15-13, 02:58 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Greetings,
Everyone who was physically or emotionally affected by my ebay taillights will be thrilled to know:
Your suffering is likely over.

The stock tails are on and THEY LOOK AWESOME! (Really, thanks for not letting me forget about this!)
Hahahahhaha we've all been worried sick about you studiogeek. We just want wants best for you ! haha

Stock tails look awesome
Old 05-15-13, 03:50 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Clean400
Hahahahhaha we've all been worried sick about you studiogeek. We just want wants best for you ! haha

Stock tails look awesome
You guys were so right, thank you!

I'm loving them!
Old 05-15-13, 08:36 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Burn those ebay lights in the hell that they were made in. Afterwords, dump the ashes out in the North Arabian sea next to Osama Bin Ladens body.
Lol word haha

Looks way better man!
Old 05-15-13, 11:15 PM
Jos
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely use the multimeter first. If you can't get anything from the one on the left side then see what you test on the right. Otherwise, if you can't get the multimeter to show you what you want see if you can make a jumper wire to see if you can connect the green wire and just one running light, that way you'll know for sure that that is what it is. Sorry if that made no sense, I've spend the last 12 hours working on car stuff lol!
Old 05-17-13, 07:02 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your help guys.
The switched power from the front was dead on the multimeter so I jumped it from the other side. It's a temporary fix until i can see where it is broken.

I'm pretty lousy at this stuff, but i'm getting better.
Attached Thumbnails Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-ltson.jpg  
Old 05-17-13, 10:29 PM
NixusSC
Driver

208230804280422480 times better
Old 05-19-13, 06:33 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by NixusSC
208230804280422480 times better
Thanks Nixus!
Old 05-20-13, 11:05 AM
Smokeygsi
Rookie

Dear lord - i seriously need to get rid of mine - that looks so so so so so so so much better
Old 05-22-13, 10:56 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Smokeygsi
Dear lord - i seriously need to get rid of mine - that looks so so so so so so so much better
It's nice to loose that "bulb out" light shining 24/7.

Quick Reply: Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.