SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 04:22 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Driver Side Rear "Running Lights" don't Work. All Others Do, Please Help.

FIXED!

Greetings,
Everyone who was physically or emotionally affected by my ebay taillights will be thrilled to know:
Your suffering is likely over.

The stock tails are on and THEY LOOK AWESOME! (Really, thanks for not letting me forget about this!)

However, we have a problem.

The wiring was spliced up crazy to make the Altezza (or whatever) lights work.

Most of the hack was to the ebay harness but there was a red wire that was spliced in from the green wire on the right car harness to the green wire on the left car harness.

Not knowing how it is supposed to be, I just removed all spliced in wires, taped it up and gave it a try.

Currently this is the status.

Brake lights work
Backup lights work
turn signals work
Right running lights work.
Left running lights are out. (assuming running lights are the top 3 lights that stay on when you turn your lights on but nothing else is activated)

The fourth picture shows the top center lights that should be operating as running lights actually working (i think i had my flashers on). But none of the top row of lights on the left side comes on when I put my lights on.

I'm going back to the car now to verify that one of the the same light that are NOT working as a running light actually IS running as a Flasher. Looks like some wires are crossed but they look ok to me (means very little).

Any Ideas Gents?

Thanks in advance,
SG
Attached Thumbnails Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-wirenest.jpg   Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-rtwires.jpg   Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-trans.jpg   Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-top_ctr_on.jpg   Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-rearview.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-19-13 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 04:29 PM
Raijin978
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problems when I bought the car haha..I've 97 so I've to buy another set of 97+ harness from Toyota dealer online and goes back with original tail lights.

I've the 92-95 harness pmed me for offer!!
Old 05-14-13, 04:49 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yay! Thanks for going back stock! I'd pick up a used harness from Raijin978 and go from there?

steve
Old 05-14-13, 05:30 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Yay! Thanks for going back stock! I'd pick up a used harness from Raijin978 and go from there?

steve
You mean the huge thick wiring harness on the car, or the wiring on the headlight?
The problem seems to be simpler then that (I hope). The aftermarket lights worked fine. I have no idea how to replace the whole harness. LOL
Old 05-14-13, 05:44 PM
mattjk
Driver

much better!
Old 05-14-13, 05:45 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Default More pics

These should give a better idea what is not working.

In the splice picture you can see the green wire on the harness that was spliced and had a wire running to the other side of the harness.

That was the only splice that was on the car harness. The rest were on the taillight harness and it was a mess.

Looked like I removed all the hacks but i guess not.
Attached Thumbnails Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-runoff2-.jpg   Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-reverse.jpg   Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-all.jpg   Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-runoff.jpg   Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.-rtsplice.jpg  

Old 05-14-13, 05:53 PM
jdmstar69
Driver

Are u gonna throw those altezza lights out? Send them my way! Haha
Old 05-14-13, 06:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdmstar69
Are u gonna throw those altezza lights out? Send them my way! Haha
I'm going to sell them with the ebay headlights or keep the headlights for the clear lenses. Gotta get every penny I can to pour back into the car LOL.
Old 05-14-13, 06:33 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Burn those ebay lights in the hell that they were made in. Afterwords, dump the ashes out in the North Arabian sea next to Osama Bin Ladens body.
Old 05-14-13, 06:37 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Burn those ebay lights in the hell that they were made in. Afterwords, dump the ashes out in the North Arabian sea next to Osama Bin Ladens body.
HAHA! I may need them again if I don't get my running lights working LOL.
Old 05-14-13, 07:09 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Woooo! clean! Studio man, looking good! Cant wait to see it completed.
Old 05-14-13, 10:56 PM
9600baud
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll buy the ebay garbage if you want to sell it for cheap. I need it for a project. Thanks
Old 05-15-13, 04:09 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by 9600baud
I'll buy the ebay garbage if you want to sell it for cheap. I need it for a project. Thanks
Ill price them in a couple days.
First, I need help fixing those running lights before I do anything.

Thanks
Old 05-15-13, 08:11 AM
Fr33way
Driver School Candidate

Your car thanks you. Keep it up man.
Old 05-15-13, 09:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I can't even believe the difference that alone made, looking good, I would try and remove all the splices and match the original wires back up hopefully that should get it all working again.
It shouldn't be too hard to get the running light working again thats all that seems to be left If I am seeing right.
also make sure the bulb is good, try swapping with the ones from the other side, they can go bad if you start moving the tail lights around alot.
The tail light harness unplugs from in the trunk, so worst case scenario you just swap it out for a good one, like when I went from 95 to 97 tails, I took out the old harness with the tails, and put the 97 harness and tails in. I have the original 95 harnesses somewhere but finding them would be the hardest part.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-15-13 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Ebay Tails GONE! Stocks on, UNhacked Wiring, Left running lights OUT.