SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Inexpensive Rear Lower Lip That matches 97+ Sides?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 01:13 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tabaka
The best way to install this lip is to buy the Shine rear bumper lol. Don't bother with this, it's a big hassle. I don't want my money back or a trade.
Long as you get what you want brother!
Old 06-24-13, 08:42 PM
OmgSc400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hearing tabaka about his stories with his rear lip kind of makes me regret buying it
Old 06-25-13, 07:28 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Took the rear lip off yesterday for the third time lol. Had to remove all of this gummy glue.

Honestly, it's not a bad lip, you just need A LOT of work to get it to fit. What you'll want to do is dremmel the entire inside lip. Don't get a battery powered dremmel because it will lose juice every 10 minutes. You'll want an electric or even an air powered one if you have access to a tank. You'll need to hack off the entire license plate area, then dremmel the inside of that area completely smooth. After you spend hours doing that, find some double sided exterior tape that isn't gummy. I'd suggest using a clear 3M VHB that's semi-permanent.

This lip will fit, but it just requires a ton of body work and patience. I should know, I've had mine since February and it's not properly installed yet. Then again I'm super picky and if it doesn't sit right on my car, I take it off. You should have seen how many times I swapped my 95 and 97 tails before I decided on my 97's.
Old 06-25-13, 01:20 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Took the rear lip off yesterday for the third time lol. Had to remove all of this gummy glue.

Honestly, it's not a bad lip, you just need A LOT of work to get it to fit. What you'll want to do is dremmel the entire inside lip. Don't get a battery powered dremmel because it will lose juice every 10 minutes. You'll want an electric or even an air powered one if you have access to a tank. You'll need to hack off the entire license plate area, then dremmel the inside of that area completely smooth. After you spend hours doing that, find some double sided exterior tape that isn't gummy. I'd suggest using a clear 3M VHB that's semi-permanent.

This lip will fit, but it just requires a ton of body work and patience. I should know, I've had mine since February and it's not properly installed yet. Then again I'm super picky and if it doesn't sit right on my car, I take it off. You should have seen how many times I swapped my 95 and 97 tails before I decided on my 97's.
HAHA,
Damnnnnnn.... I am glad it is coming into focus for you. I will choose another product as I am WAY less "handy" than you are.
Good luck!
Old 06-25-13, 06:47 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I've been sitting on the fence about buying this lip but honestly after hearing everything I'll probably pass.

Has rideskinz done anything to remedy this situation? Did you get sent the wrong version maybe? Anyone else have this issue? I'm certainly not shelling out $300+ before paint for a lip I already have to cut up for the 2nd exhaust opening then modify to fit onto the bumper.
Old 06-25-13, 07:01 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
I've been sitting on the fence about buying this lip but honestly after hearing everything I'll probably pass.

Has rideskinz done anything to remedy this situation? Did you get sent the wrong version maybe? Anyone else have this issue? I'm certainly not shelling out $300+ before paint for a lip I already have to cut up for the 2nd exhaust opening then modify to fit onto the bumper.
Honestly, I'd rather not make a big deal of it for the sole reason that Rideskinz is the only manufacturer who really gave the SC a second chance on new parts. As you can see, the front lip is highly popular. Almost every picture I see lately has an SC with this front lip now. The rear lip was a great idea, it just didn't fit well on the 97's rear bumper. I'm curious to know if people with the 95 rear had similar issues.

What double sided tape does everyone else use for mounting?
Old 06-26-13, 02:14 PM
vipkbreak1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tret
Definitley not stock buddy.

Old School iNspection kit for 92-96

inspection kit for 92-96

where can i find this kit for sale online or if anyone know who is selling one?

guessing this kit is rare, but doesn't hurt to ask if anyone know where it is for sell
Old 06-26-13, 02:25 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok looks like I can't keep my mouth shut on this topic any longer. I was the first to receive both the Fujin front lip and the rear lip for final test fit and pictures to be added to rideskinz website. I too was very excited to finally have both the front and rear lip for the SC community since no one else would do it. For that Tony and everyone over at Rideskinz will always have my support.

Now when I got this rear lip I kind of already knew there would probably be a problem around the license plate area. From the beginning it was flared out alot and I let it sit in my place for several days to take its final shape with no change in that area. So I still went ahead and got it painted and attempted to install it. Everything came out good minus the license plate area. Just like Tabaka that part of the lip flares out away from the OEM bumper and there is almost nothing you can do to get it to sit flush. I tried 3M double sided tape meant for exterior use and it would stick for a few seconds then give. I also tried a dremmel to the back of this area to get it more flush but still no luck.

Honestly the only way to truly get it to stay would almost be to screw that section in place. But the downside to this is you will have to bondo over that area and will not be able to take the rear lip off.

I'm just like Tabaka in that if it doesn't look right it comes off my car immediately. My rear lip is now just sitting in my attic till next year when I will repaint my whole car and do body work. At that time I will put it back on and get it to fit right but until then.....no lip for me.

So the moral of the story is it will take work to get it to fit right but I'm not going to bash Rideskinz because they have done more for this community already in just around two years compared to almost anyone else in a lifetime.
Old 06-26-13, 07:37 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you do yours over a 97 bumper as well? Any thoughts if it would be any different on a 92 style bumper?
Old 06-26-13, 11:25 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Probably, for the same reasons 92-96 mud flaps won't fit on a 97+ SC.

The 97+SC Rear is 3 sections Left and right extensions, and the bumper itself that is lower (to match the extensions and sides) than a 92-96 rear
Old 06-27-13, 01:07 AM
LatitudeNZ
Rookie

Just held my rear lip to my 92-95 bumper. It looks like it may suffer from the same problems. Flaring around the number plate area. Maybe we could mount it up and take a heat gun to the area, and attempt to reshape it while it's warm/hot??

Not too savvy with poly so not sure if it's actually viable or not.
Old 06-27-13, 02:47 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Did you do yours over a 97 bumper as well? Any thoughts if it would be any different on a 92 style bumper?
Halon,

Unfortunately I do not think it will make a difference where its a pre 97 or 97+ bumper. The area around the license plate frame is still going to be a problem. I have not tried it on a pre 97 rear bumper so I would still give it a try regardless.

Originally Posted by LatitudeNZ
Just held my rear lip to my 92-95 bumper. It looks like it may suffer from the same problems. Flaring around the number plate area. Maybe we could mount it up and take a heat gun to the area, and attempt to reshape it while it's warm/hot??

Not too savvy with poly so not sure if it's actually viable or not.
LatitudeNZ,

You actually brought up a good point I forgot to mention in my post. Yes the best option would be to heat the lip BEFORE painting it to get that section to possibly give a little. One way would be to take a heat gun and go back and forth over the problem area until is is somewhat pliable, then push it in and hold it in place with something so that it stays in its new position.

That would probably be your best bet or unfortunately go the rivet route, bondo, sand, spray entire bumper