SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 quantum-auto swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 12:37 PM
Whoareu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

locktite makes a sealer i will post the pic of what i got. just in case once i get home ill take a pic of the tube i got
Old 08-19-13, 07:46 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

HY!

please measure for me the 2 lines for the clutch. i bought a set, but no lines not in the set
Old 08-23-13, 02:03 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ilovett76 - i finished up my r154 1uz swap about a year ago, but has always had dome sort of hydraulic issue, so it never got driven because of that, and i did not have time because of school. About 3 months ago i finally removed the clutch pedal return spring as well, amd found that it seemed to work a little better. But the pedsl still feels rather soft, so it still really hasnt been driven either.
Also, how did you run your clutch lines out of the bellhousing? For mine, i ran the bleed line exactly in the top center position, i think this may be the issue because the line may be getting kinked in the transmission tunnel.
And what type of transmission mount did you use? I made a modified r154 mount with stock auto mount and had to use spacers to drop the transmission crossmember, similar to transmission crossmember spacer that driftmotion sells.
Charley

Last edited by charley240; 08-23-13 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-23-13, 12:02 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

^ I'm debating doing an R154 swap into my '99 SC400 rather than the W58. Would love to hear more about your swap and issues you came across. Not sure if the issues you described above can be resolved by just redoing the swap with the experience you now have, or if they are inherent issues that makes the swap not possible?
Old 08-26-13, 05:35 AM
Chambers45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Supra I run the clutch lines out on top with no issues if everything is guided in correctly, I would imagine in the SC you would have more room since it was designed to have that engine/bell housing in it. I will say though, I had installed my trans once (r154) and pinched the bleed line between one of the ribs on top of the bell housing and the trans tunnel/fire wall. It lasted for ten minutes and then the pressure from pushing the clutch in created a small leak. I had to put air pressure from my air compressor in the line to find the leak, this was all because I was working alone and trying to put it all back together to quickly.

To aid in installation, I used a die grinder and removed some of the rib. I havent had any other issues with clutch lines.
Old 08-26-13, 07:47 AM
ilovett76
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

charley240 (and anyone else who cares) - My hydraulic lines are both running almost straight up through a small hole that was drilled through the bell housing. I don't think that it causes any problems at all. Or, at least, they aren't causing any problems now that I went back in and tightened everything up as tight as I could. I read that it is important to have the bleed line on the top of the HTB so that air in the system will rise to the top and be able to be bled out.

With the spring removed from the clutch pedal, it does still feel very soft but I have bled it a bunch of times and it doesn't get any better. I think that is just the way it feels. I did have to extend the push rod on the master cylinder as far out as it would go. Until i extended it, I was not getting the necessary travel to disengage the clutch. Now, with full travel, it fully disengages almost all the way at the floor. I am actually very happy with the way it feels. Clutch engagement is very smooth.

The real issues that I am now having are the noise and vibration and resonance that i am getting. I did not do a good job of sealing up the hole in the tranny tunnel yet. That will help. I also need to replace my engine mounts, again, which sucks. It is my fault for letting the engine/tranny "hang" on them. One day, I found this clear fluid on both sides of the tranny, on the floor and couldn't figure out what it was or where it was coming from. It was two small puddles. Well, I think it was from the mounts which must have torn and leaked fluid. Fun! I just replaced them 6 months ago and it is not a simple procedure. Another noise I get is when I get up to around 70mph, I get a high pitched resonance that is annoying and will hopefully go away when I Dynamat everything. I am also wondering if any of these noises/vibrations will go away when the tranny breaks in. Lastly, I am running Amsoil MT lube and wondering if the famous Redline MT-90 would make a difference.

Anyway, at this point, I am going to do a ton of dynamatting and also replace my motor mounts. When that is done, I will check back in with an update.

As for the transmission mount, I used the Driftmtion mount. Yes, it is more than I wanted to pay for a modified mount but I am lazy and wanted it to fit perfectly right off the bat.
Old 08-26-13, 06:20 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, im thinking that it may just be a MC issue. I think im going to give the twinsturbo 3/4" MC a shot. Someone else in the ls400/r154 had said this solved his problems
The following users liked this post:
QuantumInc (04-10-22)
Old 08-27-13, 03:27 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone ordered a kit recently? I ordered one 3weeks ago going on 4 and nothing.
Old 10-28-13, 03:56 PM
Whoareu
Driver

sorry i havent been here for a while but just ordered the clutch TM-HDSS act. hopefully i get it soon so i can install it. been tight with money thats why it took me so long.
Old 10-29-13, 09:08 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

I just picked up a tv8.com / 1uzfeswapkit.com kit. seems legit, has everything but clutch kit.
Old 11-07-13, 08:52 AM
Whoareu
Driver

Old 11-07-13, 08:53 AM
Whoareu
Driver

Just received the act tm1-hdss clutch
Should start this weekend to put back together man I can't wait
I'll take as much pics as possible
Old 11-07-13, 08:54 AM
Whoareu
Driver

The 1uzfe swap kit so far everything is perfect fitment I can't complain about the service either
Old 11-07-13, 09:01 AM
Whoareu
Driver

I'm just hoping by leaving the auto tranny harness w solenoid plugged up and others stuff plugged won't throw check engine light now I have to clean the wire by tranny up I'm excited man been a while

Emergency surgery on my dog we went fishing and she ate a ****en hook. Some idiot left their hook w bait n waits on the floor . Let's just say I could of had a 2jzgte on my sc400 already anyways
Old 11-07-13, 09:03 AM
Whoareu
Driver

Quick Reply: SC400 quantum-auto swap