SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

just joined and already a request

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 09:43 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I still own an original 1992 SC400 that just turned 200,000 miles. It is currently in the shop to have the front lower control arms and shocks replaced. The bushing have worn out and the car clunks all the time while driving and the tires wore out quickly. Price to fix. The bushing are integral to the complete arm, which has a MSP of $1000 and $800. Shocks are listed at $300 each. Can purchase items at Sewell Club Lexus price for $1600. With labor costs the total will be over $3000. You really don't have a choice on this when it happens. You can either fix it or basically throw the car away. I chose to fix it.

Just be aware of possible things that will fail, even on the SC400.
Old 06-02-13, 10:02 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Why not buy your daughter something more practical, newer, and gas friendly? Buying a young person a beat up SC is just being careless. It's not exactly a good "daily driver" car, even if it runs perfect, it's not practical in any sense.
Old 06-02-13, 02:55 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Why not buy your daughter something more practical, newer, and gas friendly? Buying a young person a beat up SC is just being careless. It's not exactly a good "daily driver" car, even if it runs perfect, it's not practical in any sense.
BINGO!
I think Bix is the Sc lover in the family and we obviously empathize .
Get her a Honda or Mazda etc. And get this one for you if you really dig it.
You gotta love these cars to own them in most cases. You've gotta live on this forum and DIY, or pay through the nose for every little problem.
My fill up was nearly 70$ today.
I'd gone 200 miles......

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-02-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 03:40 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quit lying the SC is for you not your daughter

Since you test drove it and from your description I wouldnt even look at if its not running right and look at something else or another SC unless you want a lil project.

If hes not willing to change his price, just walk.
Old 06-05-13, 01:24 AM
Bix49
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some good advice

Hello,
I just wanted to let you know that for once I didn't let my emotions and enthusiasm get the better of me I sat down and thought about it. Re-read all your comments and I thought about it some more. I did a little research to get an idea of the repair costs of just the things I found wrong. In the end. the conclusion was obvious, it just wasn't worth it.. I refuse to give up though. Eventually the right car at the right price will come along.
Again I would like to thank you all. Your comments were instumental in helping me keep things in perspective and.you have not heard the last from me.
Bix
Old 06-05-13, 01:39 AM
Bix49
Rookie

Hey Joey, It is so for my daughter.
Old 06-06-13, 04:22 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bix49

Ha! He is just busting yo' bawlz man!

Great move tho.

Now go find YOURS! We will help you make it sweet!
Old 06-08-13, 03:47 PM
Bix49
Rookie

Default I found another one

Yea, It's me again. I think I finally got a handle on my excessive enthusiasm. I've still been looking, but I've been a lot more relaxed about it. Here's one that I just found.
A 1992 SC300. 98,000 miles, car fax looks good, no major accidents. Now I haven't driven the car yet. It was all boxed in at the car lot. But It did start up with no problem. Idle was ok, I didn't here any missing or unusual sounds from the engine although I think it could have been a little smoother. I won't know about the trans until I drive it. Suspension was tight. Tires, I'd say 75%. Can't comment on the brakes. Better care could have been taken of the leather. The front seats will eventually have to be recovered, otherwise some small dirty spots on the arm rests. All the interior electrics except the passenger power window switch and the passenger side mirror, worked. This includes the LC displays for the radio and climate controls. One thing that could be a major issue is the air conditioning It didn't blow cold. The body was solid, with no dents noted. Some superficial scuffing and shallow scratches in the paint which I'm pretty sure could be buffed out.. Until I get a chance to drive it that's about all I got. The price: $3000.00 What da ya think? Any comments are appreciated
One more thing. Joey-E and Studio geek. Dudes, are you guys physic or what? There's no other way you could have known that it was my desire for the SC300 all along. You guys could go on TV and charge $4.95 a minute for those abilities. I'm telling you guys, It's a gift.
So, once again, any comments questions, opinions, any thing at all. Feel free.
Thanks,
Bix
Old 06-08-13, 11:53 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Ha! He is just busting yo' bawlz man!

Great move tho.

Now go find YOURS! We will help you make it sweet!
Lol

Umm ok

Yea, It's me again. I think I finally got a handle on my excessive enthusiasm. I've still been looking, but I've been a lot more relaxed about it. Here's one that I just found.
A 1992 SC300. 98,000 miles, car fax looks good, no major accidents. Now I haven't driven the car yet. It was all boxed in at the car lot. But It did start up with no problem. Idle was ok, I didn't here any missing or unusual sounds from the engine although I think it could have been a little smoother. I won't know about the trans until I drive it. Suspension was tight. Tires, I'd say 75%. Can't comment on the brakes. Better care could have been taken of the leather. The front seats will eventually have to be recovered, otherwise some small dirty spots on the arm rests. All the interior electrics except the passenger power window switch and the passenger side mirror, worked. This includes the LC displays for the radio and climate controls. One thing that could be a major issue is the air conditioning It didn't blow cold. The body was solid, with no dents noted. Some superficial scuffing and shallow scratches in the paint which I'm pretty sure could be buffed out.. Until I get a chance to drive it that's about all I got. The price: $3000.00 What da ya think? Any comments are appreciated
One more thing. Joey-E and Studio geek. Dudes, are you guys physic or what? There's no other way you could have known that it was my desire for the SC300 all along. You guys could go on TV and charge $4.95 a minute for those abilities. I'm telling you guys, It's a gift.
Thanks,
Bix
Lol this guy Hey man looks like your just trying to find a car on the cheap, its impossible to tell you if a deal is good on the internet. 98,000 miles is nothing for these cars, you said it could be a lil smoother well with just 98k that engine should purr quietly if taken care of. 3000 sounds like a great deal or could be a nighmare. Why was it boxed in the lot? Are they hiding something? check for matching vin numbers clean car fax dosent mean all accidents were reported.
I can go on and on but You need to drive it and not just down the street Take it on the freeway and let it idle while your talking to him about it. I would talk him down more but 98,000 miles for 3000 does sound pretty fair for its condition since you likely replace the window regulator and fix the ac or can be just freon and the window switch. Its your call.
Old 06-09-13, 04:51 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Thanks,
Bix
Here's what i would do....
Drive and closely evaluate each car.

Make a list of each issue.

Search out and compile the DIY's available for each job (between 4 sites you will find them all).

Copy them into an "Evernote" (cool app) "Sc" folder.

Price the parts for the fix. Add those to your database.

Evaluate what jobs you can pull off yourself.

Take the others to your favorite mechanic on a laptop or iPad for pricing and planning.

Choose the best car (with the help of a great mechanic). Use your growing list to rule out common issues as you evaluate cars, and to help you negotiate with the sellers.

When you are done, you will have found a great car and compiled a Master List of DIYs' for the Sc in general and for your chosen Sc in particular.
You will also have a roadmap for the future expenditures on the car and a good grasp of the machine.

Ultimately, that will mean way more then what we may think about any particular car.. Find a couple superstars and we can help you choose between them.

OH, and I like to use the term "clairvoyant" over "Psychic".
SG

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-09-13 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-15-13, 11:47 AM
Bix49
Rookie

Default The Deed is Done

I'm back, and I, Umm, I mean my daughter is now the owner of a SC300. I bought the '92 I wrote about earlier I've got some additional impressions. Oh,, and a friend of mine who is a professional mechanic went with me ,lending his expertise in evaluating this car.
Some observations:
It's a 2 owner car. The second owner had the car for less than a year, put 10 thousand miles on it then traded it in on a Mercedes. It has 95 thousand miles not 98. My friend thought the car may have been sitting for some time. No one seemed to know anything about that but I think it's very plausible because that slight roughness at idle I mentioned in a previous post was gone. The car idled smooth as glass. When I drove it the engine felt tight and pulled strong to redline.and the transmission shifted as slick as ****** thru a goose. My previous comments all remain the same. I did find a couple more problems. The radio antenna doesn't work, no big thing and I think the LEDs in the speedo and tach hands are going bad. I've already checked into this and the repair can be a little expensive. The air conditioning stills blows warm but if the car did sit, unused for a while maybe it just needs to be charged.. Talking about air conditioning, is there any prevailing wisdom or con senses of opinion on converting to R-134 or staying with R-12.
I know there are tings that will have to be done on this car. It's not perfect, and I really don't care. The things that need to be done will eventually get done Overall it's sound. I paid 3 thousand for it and I think that was a pretty good deal
Again, any thoughts,comments, tech information or advice anyone has. I'd like to hear it.
Thanks
Bix
Old 06-15-13, 11:55 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I had my SC converted to R-134. (I DIY) the main thing is that the system gets every little drop of r12 out.
Old 06-15-13, 12:04 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Congrats on the SC man you and your fam enjoy

Let us know about that AC hopefully it just needs freon, I would try to stay with R-12 if you can find some but make sure the AC works, R-12 is pricey. If you convert still would like to know how it went with the conversion.
Old 06-15-13, 04:24 PM
Bix49
Rookie

Thanks Joey, I really appreciated your input. And your psychic abilities. Dude, I am still freaked out. I hope studio-geek reads this too. His step by step guide to buying a car was a masterpiece. Hey studio-geek thanks and if you prefer clairvoyant, then clairvoyant it is
I'll provide regular updates on what I'm doing and how it's working out.
Bix
Old 06-15-13, 05:12 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Thanks Joey, I really appreciated your input. And your psychic abilities. Dude, I am still freaked out. I hope studio-geek reads this too. His step by step guide to buying a car was a masterpiece. Hey studio-geek thanks and if you prefer clairvoyant, then clairvoyant it is
I'll provide regular updates on what I'm doing and how it's working out.
Bix
Yup yup, no problem

Im not a "Lexus Champion" for nothing.

Quick Reply: just joined and already a request