SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

just joined and already a request

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 08:46 PM
Bix49
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things I've done

OK, I've been able to do a few things. Not many because my funds are limited so these fixes were cheap and easy. I found I could not adjust the passenger side mirror. This was just loose and dirty connectors. I just cleaned them and made sure they were securely connected and now the mirrors work fine. The passenger side window doesn't work. I did some looking around on the CL forums and I'm pretty sure from what I read that the motor is bad. It was also suggested that the wiring from the switch to the body could have broken so I'll check that when I get around to taking off the door panel to access the motor. I've got a rebuilt OEM radio antenna on order. 80 bucks on ebay.. There were a lot of rusty nuts and bolts under the hood which I just removed and cleaned them up with a wire brush mounted on a grinder them put them back on.. There are no dents to the stock wheels but they all show signs of curb rash and flaking paint, so I pulled them off one at a time thoroughly cleaned them and sprayed on a couple coats of Rustoleum steel wheel paint. They came out looking pretty good but I am looking fore-ward to the day when I can afford some 17 inch rims and a new set of tires. One last thing. The black paint on the trim of the rear windows had flaked off in a few places. Some sanding and masking and 2 coats of Rustoleum satin canyon black, ( a very close match by the way) was an improvement but I think I will do a couple more coats.
That's all I've been able to do so far. The big stuff like recovering the seats and repairing the instrument panel lights are going to have to wait. My mechanic friend tells me he can convert the air to r-134 for $125.00. I plan on getting that done just before the car will be driven and I hope there isn't anything else wrong
Hey if anybody has any other thoughts on that window, I'd like to hear them.
There will be plenty more to come.

Bix

Last edited by Bix49; 06-24-13 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 11:53 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you hear the motor working at all? Any buzzing? I would make sure its working first and the connectors/swithches are all good. If they are the window problem is most likely your window regulator that is /broken/wire tangled/clip snaped etc etc its a common problem. There is a DIY on how to replace it, use the search function.
Old 06-25-13, 11:29 AM
Bix49
Rookie

Joey, what's up pal? I have read that the regulators are a common problem I'm going to play with it a little more later today. The window doesn't work from either switch. The only noise the motor makes is a faint hum when trying to lower the window from the passenger side. No noise at all from any other position on either switch. I'll check out that DIY on regulator replacement. Thanks.
Bix
Old 07-10-13, 03:51 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on your new purchase. You have come to the best forum for all things SC! May I suggest ALL new fluids in your SC? That would be oil, coolant, brake, and most importantly, the power steering fluid, transmission AND differential fluids! I am always amazed how few people bother with the last three fluid flushes/changes.Do not neglect those fluids in your SC! DIY's on all of these things.
Check your window regulator mechanism....common problem.....having had three SC's, these last approx 75 thou miles give or take. The plastic parts get old/brittle/worn and brake causing the window to not go up or down. $75? for new Lexus regulator. Be VERY careful with your door panels when removing. Tons of DIY's on how to remove and REPAIR these panels. And as others have siad, there are TON's of great DIY's on ALL things related to your SC. ALWAYS review the DIY's and make sure you ask for info/advice looong before you commence work. Rule #1.....use your head before your wallet. There is nothing that this forum can not help you with on your Lexus. It is an extremely well made car and is actually very simple to work on once you get to know it. You should track down the factory repair manuals, fabulous manuals and worth every penny!!!!