SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

just joined and already a request

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 05:51 PM
Bix49
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just joined and already a request

I'm not sure this is the proper place to introduce myself, but it's a place to start. You can call me Bix. I am pleased to be here but you will probably become sick of seeing my user name because I tend to ask a lot of questions.
Technically I am not a Lexus owner but am most probably going to buy a 1994 SC300 as a gift to my daughter upon her graduation from college next month.. If I may I'd like to briefly describe the car and ask your opinion on the car in general and the things I should be aware of before I plunk down the money. Trouble spots to be aware of, things like that. I would appreciate any comments or pearls of wisdom you can give me. Here goes.
The car is a 1994 SC300. 2 previous owners Overall it appears to be in very good condition and well maintained. They have the equivalent of a car fax which shows no accidents and no major problems when checked at regular mileage intervals from new new until the present. The mileage is high 220,000 miles. I can't tell you how the car runs or drives because when I got in to go for a test drive, it wouldn't start. I stayed around helping the owner trying to get it started with no luck. The problem was a bad fuel pump relay. I'm told it drives beautifully but I can't offer my opinion until I drive it sometime this week. It cranked fine though. The electrics seem to work ie. dash and all interior lights, moon roof, windows, seat etc. interior leather looks good. No cracking, splitting or dryness. the worst thing about the interior is the rather depressing monochromatic gray color. Brakes don't know yet. Tires have a few thousand more miles left in them Paint is good with some minor chipping here and there. Air, I'm told works fine. This is about all I know right now. The price is: $2500.00 Any comments, advice, questions, opinions, cautions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bix
Old 05-27-13, 06:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Welcome

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html

Old 05-27-13, 07:36 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a great SC. You will really like it.
Old 05-27-13, 07:44 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forums! It could possibly be just that, but i wouldnt pay anything above 2 grand for it since you couldnt even start it and can be troublesome finding whats wrong with it. These cars are very reliable tho! If you can talk him down some i say its a no brainer and get it. It would be a nice gift for somone starting their career after college untill she can get something else once she has enough or maybe she will fall in love with it and keep it like many of us here
Old 05-27-13, 08:36 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I'd be wary...restoring an sc to its former glory can empty a pocketbook in short order.
Old 05-27-13, 09:33 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
I'd be wary...restoring an sc to its former glory can empty a pocketbook in short order.
Very True.

Bix, be prepared to invest a lot of dollars depending on what you want to get out of the car. $10-15K is not out of the ordinary just to get it to daily driver status.
Old 05-27-13, 09:42 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
Not if you know what your doing. The SC is one of the most reliable cars ive ever owned and i have owned both 3 and 400.
Originally Posted by Duck05
Very True.

Bix, be prepared to invest a lot of dollars depending on what you want to get out of the car. $10-15K is not out of the ordinary just to get it to daily driver status.
Thats pretty extreme, care to explain how you would spend 10-15K just to make it a daily?
Old 05-27-13, 09:57 PM
CrispyST3
Driver

From experience, (and i just created my own thread explaining my prior experiences with SC's, i've owned 3 in total) I wouldn't buy it until you absolutely see for yourself that it turns on. Once it turns on and stays on, i say test drive it, and when you do, make sure you let it idle for a while, run it through all the gears, don't be afraid to floor it for about 3 seconds.

Take a look at the engine bay. Is it dirty? Is there grime everywhere? Does it look like it has been cleaned to make it look that way? Check for any sign of oil leaks, or wet places. Look at the oil, if the guy says he just did an oil change, and on the dip stick the oil is black, HE'S LYING! look at the brake fluid, if it's black it's bad.

On our cars, power steering is a common thing to start going bad. While the car is cold (and on), move the steering wheel from left to right and listen for any whining. Once the car gets to operating temp the sound may go away and you might miss it.

Put your hands right above the fender, put your weight down on it and bounce the car, if you're able to take 3 steps back and the car hasn't stopped bouncing, it needs new struts/shocks. You can do this for the rear as well.

Another thing thats common to go out on our cars, are the bushings in the control arms, and that is a very dangerous thing if those are out. One way you can find out is once the car is started, drive the car forward and brake, if you here a clunk, drive it reverse and brake real hard, if you hear it again, leave the car where it's at, step out and take a look at the tire. If the tire looks like it shifted a bit to either side of the fender well, the bushings are bad.

There's also a thread on here that i believe is called "what it REALLY costs to own an SC" or something like that, and basically that is where all of us have tried to come up with common things that require fixing once someone purchases an SC.

2000 isn't that bad for an SC in good condition, where the interior, exterior are in good condition.

The main thing is, make sure it starts. And then look for the things i mentioned.

I hope i helped, and good luck with the buy and congrats to your daughter.
Old 05-28-13, 07:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

wouldn't touch it unless its running, normally cars with alot of problems they will just blame it on somehting simple they could have been abusing the engine and you won't know till after you buy it and then get it started, its not worth it unless it being given away.
Old 05-28-13, 08:01 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome,
For reference, I paid over twice the price for mine. It has half the mileage as that one, and still I have had to do all this to my car since i got it in December. Granted, some of it was elective "surgery" such as getting it Looking right.

----------------
DONE-----------Trunk Lockout Cylinder/key
DONE-----------Install HID's
DONE-----------cigarette lighter repair
DONE-----------Trunk/hood Release Switch repair
DONE-----------fix high beams
DONE-----------Fix Factory Alarm
DONE-----------Buy/install Louder horn (HELLA)
DONE-----------Air Filter replacement
DONE-----------injector/TB cleaner
DONE-----------Buy Winter wheels
DONE-----------Buy Winter rubber
DONE-----------Buy Summer wheels
DONE-----------Buy Summer rubber
DONE------------Mount Work Wheels
DONE-----------Alignment x 2
DONE-----------Fix Door Actuator
DONE-----------Fix Window lifts
DONE------------2X oil change
DONE -----------Replace Trunk Struts
DONE------------Replace aftermarket Headlights with stock
DONE------------ New Alternator
DONE------------New Backup Battery
DONE-------------Replace aftermarket Taillights with stock
DONE-------------Waxes, Polishes, Cloths
DONE-------------97+ Door Moulding
DONE-------------97+ sides
DONE-------------97+ rear bumper
DONE------------Shine Auto Sides
DONE------------Wise lip
DONE------------ Full Tune up~ Plugs, wires, caps, rotors, coil Packs, ECT sensor,
DONE------------Replace Alternator
DONE------------install LED's
DONE------------New Wiper blades
DONE------------ New Serpentine Belt
DONE----------- Buy Spare key from VIN#
DONE-----------New DVD Head Unit
DONE------------Alpine Amp
DONE------------10 inch sub mounted in rear deck
DONE------------Rear view Camera
DONE----------- O2 Sensors
DONE-----------Fuel filter job parts (-6AN Hose, fittings, Aeromotive filter)
DONE-----------OEM timing belt water pump seals parts Kit
DONE-----------Magnaflow Axle Back
DONE------------Remove ugly Side panels
DONE------------Cut Resonators
DONE-----------Rear Caliper
DONE-----------BUY SS Brake Lines
DONE------------install SS Brake lines
DONE-----------Buy 38mm Wheel Spacers

I'd look around a bit and consider lower mileage, higher initial investment.
Follow the link OLT posted above and read his thread in that link called "What it really costs to own an Sc".

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-29-13 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 09:38 AM
NixusSC
Driver

geek, your list is getting ever more impressive =)

OP, honestly, buying any 20 year old car is going to hit the wallet if you think about it. You could buy her a
2000+ honda civic for not even 1k more and have so many less years of wear and tear on it, and it would be considerably cheaper to maintain.

What you have to think about is how committed do you wanna be to this car?
Old 05-28-13, 11:26 AM
Bix49
Rookie

Default What to look out for

I'd like to thank everyone who responded with their concerns and advice. I welcome any more information, so keep those cards and letters coming. To AliSc3 and CrispySt3. Yes i've made sure the seller understands that nothing definite is going to happen until the car runs and I have a chance to drive it. I'll definatly keep in mind those things you mentioned to look out for. I am , at most a decent backyard mechanic I think I have a fairly good understanding the workings of cars. I think I'm pretty good at knowing when something is wrong. I may not know exactly what it is but I'll know it's something. I have a friend though whose side job is auto mechanics. He has wrenched on cars just about his entire adult life. He's good and owns his own shop. I plan on letting him thoroughly check the car over. The sellers have agreed that if he finds some major problem I can return the car for a full refund. My primary aim is just to make sure that all the major components and systems are sound at the time of purchase. I don't want to be faced with replacing the trans or a valve job 2 months down the road. Then I don't have a car. I have a very large lawn ornament. To 2jznosht and Duck05. If, in fact the only problem preventing it from starting was the fuel pump relay and it drives ok then I would consider it, based on what I've seen, a daily driver right now. I'm not thinking of any kind of restoration type project. I've done frame up restorations on a couple of old English motorcycles and I know how expensive a restoration can become. As money permits I would like to do some mods. Anytime I have bought a vehicle I automatically starting think of how I can change it to suit my vision of how I think it should be. But now I'm talking about things that are somewhere in the future. To Joey E. I $2500.00 may be the best I can do. The original asking price was $2995.00 but because it wouldn't start he agreed to take 2500.00. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was, just a relay..I'll be taking it for a drive on Saturday and I'll be back with my impressions..Thanks again for your help. Anything else you might think of feel free to let me know. Crispy thank you for the congrats to my daughter. I'll let her know
See you on Saturday.
Bix
Old 06-01-13, 02:10 PM
Bix49
Rookie

Hello everyone,
Well, I just got back from test driving the '94 sc300 I'm looking at. Now, before I heard the can run and drove it I did have concerns. Primarily based on the age and mileage. After driving it I must say I now have some concerns. This is what I found.
The car did start immediately and Idled smoothly it was difficult to hear any engine noises because there was a problem with the exhaust. I was told it was just a small hole but I was not able to visualize the problem area. As far as the starting was concerned the part, which originally thought to be the fuel pump relay, but I now think is the fuel pump ECU had not been replaced but again had been jumped with a small wire..The car did seem to drive well. The transmission shifted both up and down smoothly and without hesitation. I did not detect any slippage. If you took your hands off the wheel at 40mph the car continued to track straight. It accelerated smoothly but not quite as quickly as I would have thought. However I have never driven an sc300 before so I have no basis for comparison. Braking seemed fine. There was no clunking from the front end. Also no squeaking from the power steering The suspension behaved normally, no swaying or excessive motions.
Ok, now some negatives. The tires are more worn than I initially thought. There is a repetitive thump, thump, thump noise coming from the left front tire which become more rapid as the speed increases. The hood struts don't work. Neither do the trunk brackets,arms? I didn't have a chance to test the trunk mounted CD changer. The electrics in the interior, windows steering wheel, out side mirrors, sun roof, All lights, except for the gas gauge light work Both sets of seat controls work but the memory doesn't The radio and all adjustments work. The climate control display, is it Liquid crystal, does not work. Here's the big one The air does not blow cold. They tell me it just needs a charge, but I don't know. The leather is excellent in the rear and very good in the front. Some wear marks and partial thickness cracking in a few spots in the front. The body is straight, no dings, dents or rust noted. A few paint chips here and there. This is all I can think of at the moment
What do you think? Any comments questions, opinions, advice is more than appreciated.
Thanks, Bix

What do you think

Last edited by Bix49; 06-01-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-01-13, 03:58 PM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'd keep looking if it was my daughter.
Sc are nice but there are much cleaner cars available for a little more money. I've got a 96 sc 400 with 156000
That needs a little cosmetic work that I'm doing.
Platinum metallic with black leather that runs n drives great everything works including perfect climate control ice cold air etc. nakimichi stereo . I will want 4500.00 for it
Old 06-01-13, 09:05 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Your description of the car's current state was similar to my '92 which I now have $6K in repairs/maintenance items (not including tires/wheels). Also put another $8K into paint/body kit and audio. Have not acquired wheels/tires as yet - plan on $2-3K or more depending on how exotic one gets (my tires are in good shape so no safety worries).

The above includes converting the a/c from R12 to R134 and swapping most of the major components and it still leaks a bit but recharges are reasonable and last about a year.

Still have suspension, brakes, and intake/exhaust items yet to go (next year when the bank account can take it and my wife is not rolling her eyes...).

Quick Reply: just joined and already a request