SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Post Pics of 97+ on 20s

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 08:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

forgive me if im wrong but im quite sure this is scotturnot's car on 20's with a 97 kit.

This car is barely lowered more then an inch or so , so even at stock height this is what you can expect.

The most important thing is wheel choice , if you get some ghetto chrome 'dubs' then sure it will look a bit cheesy but thats the same with any size,, find a nice set of wheels and your golden.
Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of 97+ on 20s-a-scott-u-r-not.jpg  
Old 06-16-13, 08:56 PM
DreaMzZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at 20" Vossen CV3
Old 06-16-13, 09:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

those are gonna look nice man , I think Bsanders has some nice vossens similar to those, and his car is super nice.
Old 06-16-13, 09:31 PM
DreaMzZ
Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
those are gonna look nice man , I think Bsanders has some nice vossens similar to those, and his car is super nice.
Yeah I talked to him on Instagram. He has 19" CV3 and he is lowered 1.5". His setup is great. I would be 1 inch bigger wheels with stock height though might just bite the bullet and if its that bad ill get lowered ASAP.. And I've asked like 5 times and nobody will answer- if I get these 20x9 all around wheels how much can I lower with NO fender work?????????
Old 06-16-13, 09:40 PM
Paul@howeyindustries.com
Pole Position

Here's a SC with 20x10.5 all round with a slight drop.

Old 06-16-13, 10:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DreaMzZ
Yeah I talked to him on Instagram. He has 19" CV3 and he is lowered 1.5". His setup is great. I would be 1 inch bigger wheels with stock height though might just bite the bullet and if its that bad ill get lowered ASAP.. And I've asked like 5 times and nobody will answer- if I get these 20x9 all around wheels how much can I lower with NO fender work?????????
at 20x9 you shouldnt need any fender work at all
Old 06-16-13, 10:56 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC scot originaly had a 97 kit before the jic magic ,,and his car still looked great , yea im sure it was lowered a tad but his car is not slammed.

20's with a 97 kit on a stock hieght will look just as good or better then a 97 kit stock height with 17's-18's or 19's, anyways not arguing with u man but why don't you post some of the cars on 20's that look like ****, I keep hearing everyone mentioning they look 'donk' and 'ghetto' but im not seeing any pics to prove it.

agreed, how many people running with 17's 18's and 19's and their car looks like complete ****, ever since I joined here there is a cult of people hating on 20's for some reason.

durby your car is sick man , very impressed
Maybe no one posts photos of the SC on 20's at stock height because no one does it since it looks like total ***. Even with an inch drop, it's enough of a difference to see in comparison to the stock height.

And there is no "cult" of people hating on 20's. That's just your perception since you see that more being that you run 20's yourself. There as many critics of 17's and 18's as there are 20's so stop exaggerating. That word hater is so played it's not even funny. Just because someone has a difference of an opinion from you does not automatically make them haters.

And I still am of the opinions that 20's are too large for the SC. The SC is a long car, but it is not large by any stretch, the profile is very lean and low. Unless it has a bodykit to extend the sides out a bit, 20's look a bit cartoonish for lack of a better term. Why do you think scottrunot eventually added a bodykit to his? It's all about good proportions and the SC is not a large enough car to run 20's and make it look like it fits. All those photos you posted look like those toy cars with overly large wheels to me. Not to say it's bad or good, if that's the look you're going for, then it's fine. But he did ask for everyone's opinions so we gave it. Don't be labeling all those who responded as haters just because they don't agree with you.

Another thing with 20's, the tires aren't cheap, and the ride quality is much harsher. And the op might notice the loss of power since it takes a bit more oomph to turn those wheels. He'll notice it the most going up hills and perhaps off the line.

Those are just a few of the costs of running 20's the op should know about before making his final decision on the wheels.
Old 06-16-13, 11:04 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

at 20x9 you shouldnt need any fender work at all
This is also kind of a bold yet uninformed advice to give. If he runs 20x9 with an et of 25 or even 30, it will rub even if he drops it an inch. It may even rub at stock height if he hits a bump while turning or cornering hard. If it has a high offset of +40 or more, then he might not need any fender work, but tire size and profile can play a factor with that as well.
Old 06-16-13, 11:31 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
This is also kind of a bold yet uninformed advice to give.
For someone giving a member a hard time, you should check your facts first.
20" tires are cheaper than 19 and ride quality is the same on any wheel. It's all in the rubber you strap on it.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 06-16-13 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-16-13, 11:32 PM
RedVex
Driver School Candidate

Attachment 499917
97 sc300 on 20's with lowering springs
Old 06-16-13, 11:37 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe no one posts photos of the SC on 20's at stock height because no one does it since it looks like total ***. Even with an inch drop, it's enough of a difference to see in comparison to the stock height.

And there is no "cult" of people hating on 20's. That's just your perception since you see that more being that you run 20's yourself. There as many critics of 17's and 18's as there are 20's so stop exaggerating. That word hater is so played it's not even funny. Just because someone has a difference of an opinion from you does not automatically make them haters.

And I still am of the opinions that 20's are too large for the SC. The SC is a long car, but it is not large by any stretch, the profile is very lean and low. Unless it has a bodykit to extend the sides out a bit, 20's look a bit cartoonish for lack of a better term. Why do you think scottrunot eventually added a bodykit to his? It's all about good proportions and the SC is not a large enough car to run 20's and make it look like it fits. All those photos you posted look like those toy cars with overly large wheels to me. Not to say it's bad or good, if that's the look you're going for, then it's fine. But he did ask for everyone's opinions so we gave it. Don't be labeling all those who responded as haters just because they don't agree with you.

Another thing with 20's, the tires aren't cheap, and the ride quality is much harsher. And the op might notice the loss of power since it takes a bit more oomph to turn those wheels. He'll notice it the most going up hills and perhaps off the line.

Those are just a few of the costs of running 20's the op should know about before making his final decision on the wheels.
you can see from your response that there are people out there that seem to truly hate 20's for some reason, yet you never have anything to back it up with.

lets post some pics of 18's on stock height and then some 20's at stock height and then we can really see what wheels fit better.

fact is the smaller wheels look worse on a stock body then the bigger wheels, cause they don't fill the wheel gap as much, smaller wheels desperately need a drop or they look all sunken and shriveled up.

And again with the ride quality, another old wives tale. Just because your wheels are an inch or two taller is not going to change your ride quality all that much , especially in such a negative way as you and others have been saying.

The only accurate thing you said here is that people are scared of the cost of bigger wheels , and that alone is one of the main reasons most people don't have them, and since they don't have them they will put them down, its as simple as that.

This is also kind of a bold yet uninformed advice to give. If he runs 20x9 with an et of 25 or even 30, it will rub even if he drops it an inch. It may even rub at stock height if he hits a bump while turning or cornering hard. If it has a high offset of +40 or more, then he might not need any fender work, but tire size and profile can play a factor with that as well.
Buddy 20x9 is nothing, if you knew what you were talking about you would know that.

I had 20x10.5 all last year, with no rolling or pulling, nothing, no scraping or rubbing either.

So don't try to tell me my advice is uninformed.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 06-16-13 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 01:46 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

heres one on stock height ,,,ewwww ,,so ugly,,its **** ,,yuck, horrible,,,,who does he think he is ,i bet he cant even drive it cause the ride is so rough!

What a joke.
Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of 97+ on 20s-a-20-inch-durby.jpg  
Old 06-17-13, 03:51 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

heres one on stock height ,,,ewwww ,,so ugly,,its **** ,,yuck, horrible,,,,who does he think he is ,i bet he cant even drive it cause the ride is so rough!

What a joke.
That actually doesn't look that bad...unless ur jus trying to be a troll lol
Old 06-17-13, 06:47 AM
DreaMzZ
Driver

That car looks awesome on 20s. That's stock height??
Old 06-17-13, 07:15 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

20s look huge on a stock sc. Look how high the front bumper is now of the ground. The wheels raise up the car so much that its now begging for a front lip. The fact is, SCs are bigger than your average coupe if you compare it to a g35 or a prelude or something. Although they are big cars, their side profile is very low and the diameter of the wheel housings are nowhere near as exaggerated as they are on most of the newer cars. If you look at something like a 370z or really a whole bunch of new cars, you will notice that they all implement these overly large, almost cartoonish sizes fender openings, so anything but a large diameter wheel will look small and underwhelming. This is why although a g35 is a smaller car overall than an sc, the 20s look okay on it. Seems like most of today's car design philosophy is based around large emblems, large wheel arches, and large grilles among other design features which are vastly larger than thy would have been a decade ago. If you look at the sc and you feel like 20s look good on it, it really should t be anyone's business to tell you otherwise unless you ask for an opinion. Bottom line, put on wheels hat make you happy.

Quick Reply: Post Pics of 97+ on 20s