SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Changing plugs on the SC400. Is it a pain in the a$$?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 12:28 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing plugs on the SC400. Is it a pain in the a$$?

I'm thinking about changing my spark plugs on my SC400. From a previous experience with my ES300, I found that 4 of the spark plugs were easily accessible, but 2 of them were darn near impossible to reach (no moronic statements about race please, thanks). Ended up having the dealer replace the 2 that I couldn't reach.

Is the SC400 fairly easy?

Last edited by LexFather; 01-08-03 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-07-03, 12:36 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All 8 are easy to change out once you taken out all the parts that cover the plugs. It is a little more difficult to take the pass. side cover off than the driver side. Other than that everything is straight forward.
Old 01-07-03, 04:53 PM
supathug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed them this weekend its not that had but it takes a little time.
Old 01-07-03, 05:56 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had hard time changing the pass side plug but I could manage changing it no problem.
Old 01-08-03, 03:18 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I hope this ole' info helps...

LS400 and SC400 have the same setup. It's not that hard.

For the left (driver side) take the two covers off with 10 mm socket. For the right it a little tricky. take the air filter housing off, remember to take off the MAF connector and the hose off. Then the hose that connect to the throttle body, there is a bolt on the back side of the body. Don't get discourage if youcan't get it off the first 5 min. it will come off and the next time you know what to do. Now take the covers off. If you're buying OEM wires, the wires are number so you don't have to worry about which wires goes where. try to remember which wire goes to which clip holes will make you feel better. Spark plugs change are easy too, take it easy and remember to use ANTISEIZE on the treads so it easier the next time around.
My first time took me less than 2 hrs. that's because I know how to take the right side air box and the throttle body hose off already. If it your first time it may take a lot longer but you can do the whole thing with a 10mm socket 1/4 rachet, a screw driver, a plier to loosen the hose clips and spark plug socket 3/8 rachet extension and one of those bendable thingy.

Hint: When put thing back use DW40 to lub the hoses so it go back in easy. Twist the hoses/spark plugs wire a little before trying to pull it off

If you want to replace the caps and rotors also, it will take you a little longer, but it worth it. To change caps and rotors you need to take off the timing chain cover and it involved take the belt off, radiator hose off...and a lot of back ache. I drop a few bolts while doing it so it took me a lot longer to look for the damn bolts because I needed to raise the car up, take the bottom cover off...so be careful not to drop anything. Do it slow and you come out ahead because you don't spnt haft the time looking for drop bolts.
Another alternative is pay someone to do it, I am cheap and I like to learn how to do the easy stuff.

I paid $91 the set of OEM wires from Carson Toyota. ~$6 per Nep plug, ~$15-16 cap, $8 rotor. Rememeber there are two cap and two rotors for this car.

I'll pay when I can't do it myself. Have fun working on your car...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...979#post150979

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-08-03 at 03:27 PM.