SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Good price for an sc300 5spd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 05:01 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Best of luck. I agree with Lexusexus. Have some extra ready IF you need it but see if he'll go for a lower figure. It really comes down to whether or not it is worth it to you over a couple hundred more than you'd like to spend. I still say 5-speed SC's aren't reflected well by KBB. What the seller is asking is an average ballpark for one in decent shape, 97 or not. The issues, as have been laid out in earlier posts, are the negotiating room but some are common fixes.

And the 5-speed isn't that hard to rebuild if that's actually necessary, no, but do keep in mind I don't want to lead you to believe it's dirt cheap either. It's a common Toyota design just like the R154. My old Prelude H22 5-speed was far more to rebuild than what I've seen quoted for a W58 on average. Also, this is the stronger W58 that only the SC300 and Supra MKIV NA got. It's generally a very reliable transmission.
Old 08-23-13, 01:41 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to give him an offer in the morning, i'll keep you guys updated.
Old 08-23-13, 10:25 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Darn.. i offered 5k and he said as much as he appreciates the offer its a great car (does need tlc but it's reliable) he had it originally for 7k.. i guess he won't budge from 5500..

"as much as i appreciate the offer its a great car(does need tlc but it's reliable). also the closest thing to a na supra i know of and so i have to get my asking price. originally i had it for 7k."

Last edited by BigBang; 08-23-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-23-13, 05:30 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Okay I gave in and just paid out the 5500, driving down there tonight picking it up in the morning.
Old 08-23-13, 05:52 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBang
Okay I gave in and just paid out the 5500, driving down there tonight picking it up in the morning.
The fact of owning "another car" always grows on you and we end up paying the full price anyways. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 08-23-13, 05:55 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400slide
The fact of owning "another car" always grows on you and we end up paying the full price anyways. Hope you enjoy it!
Thanks man! Hope it likes its new owner lol.
Old 08-23-13, 06:07 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man! Hope it likes its new owner lol.
I bought pretty much the same car(different color) for right around what you paid.
interior on mine was probably 8.5/10
exterior on mine is probably a little bit worse, small digs and some other stuff that i'll be fixing.
Old 08-23-13, 08:33 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cant wait to see more pics, lets see them..
Old 08-23-13, 08:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Congratulations, BigBang! You'll definitely enjoy it. Don't worry too much about the price you paid-- you now have one of the rarest SC 5-speeds. A little TLC will bring it back into line.

From what you've told us in this thread you should be fine out the door. Just make sure all the basic service intervals aren't already due now (basic fluid changes, t-belt, etc). Brakes should be your first order of business, as well as the tilt-wheel fix.

Other than that-- happy driving and let us see your new ride soon!
Old 08-24-13, 02:11 AM
Lexusexus
Rookie

That's where you should have came in and said "Okay then meet me in the middle at $5250" and then find $250 worth of **** wrong with it.

Either way I still think you did well. The QP damage was nothing like I was imaging it out to be. Congrats!
Old 08-24-13, 06:34 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did see the hood little off not sure if he seen that
Old 08-24-13, 01:53 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 187
I bought pretty much the same car(different color) for right around what you paid.
interior on mine was probably 8.5/10
exterior on mine is probably a little bit worse, small digs and some other stuff that i'll be fixing.
In for some pics!
Old 08-24-13, 01:57 PM
Supruxes
Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Buy and older SC300 from 92 - 95 and do a 97+ body conversion if you really like the look of the 97+ style.

Personally anything over 200K i wouldnt pay more than 3K for it
Miles are irrelevant... if a car has been maintained and runs great, reliable, i would pay extra than than a lower mileage car that was abused and mistreated. Plus a 200k+ mile car that is 20 years old isn't bad, i have seen 6-7 year old cars with that same mileage and i wouldn't touch them with a 50 foot pole.

My car is rocking out with 239k miles, original clutch, transmission, rear end, most of the suspension, the motor was replaced with a lower mileage one thanks to a bad ecu that fried the original, I'll trust it to go anywhere regardless.

So to stay ignorant about mileage on a car is ridiculous, if i were to sell, i wouldn't take less than $5k.
Old 08-24-13, 02:02 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Congratulations, BigBang! You'll definitely enjoy it. Don't worry too much about the price you paid-- you now have one of the rarest SC 5-speeds. A little TLC will bring it back into line.

From what you've told us in this thread you should be fine out the door. Just make sure all the basic service intervals aren't already due now (basic fluid changes, t-belt, etc). Brakes should be your first order of business, as well as the tilt-wheel fix.

Other than that-- happy driving and let us see your new ride soon!
Thanks for your info/tips man it helped me decide if this car was worth it! I'm still a little iffy about the car though I think it's because i'm not used to having it yet and I payed a bit more than I would have liked. I just got back from the drive, there are several things that definitely need to be fixed but I just need some time and slowly the car will be back in tip top shape. Apparently the brakes aren't as bad as they were, I think my dad just said it to point out things to deduct off the price. The brakes should be good for a good while. I will fix the steering wheel sometime this weekend but first things first is to get new tires!

Originally Posted by Lexusexus
That's where you should have came in and said "Okay then meet me in the middle at $5250" and then find $250 worth of **** wrong with it.

Either way I still think you did well. The QP damage was nothing like I was imaging it out to be. Congrats!
Thanks! I had a feeling that it was 5500 or nothing at all, it seemed like he needed that exact amount to pay off the rest of the car from his credit union.

Originally Posted by mikef
I did see the hood little off not sure if he seen that
Yeah the hood is a 92, the color is a bit different than the doors and fitment is not 100%, there is one side which doesn't sit flush with the fender it sits a bit lower..with time I will get that taken care of and probably a new paint job within next year or so.

I'll post up pics when i'm freshened up from the drive.
Old 08-24-13, 02:13 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

..with time I will get that taken care of and probably a new paint job within next year or so.
Same color? Or are you going on to custom?

Quick Reply: Good price for an sc300 5spd?