SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has the well known "battery drainage" on the SC been discovered?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 06:24 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It says very clearly in your owners manual why the battery drains. Look under the security section. I don't remember the wording or I'd say.
LMFAO...you say owners manual like everyone got one along with their used car
Old 08-11-24, 01:51 PM
Dinkbot
2nd gear

Default Monster Power Seats

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Most SC owners are aware that if they leave their SC parked for 2-3 weeks, maybe even 1 week, the battery drains and the car will not have enough cranking amps to start the engine. Has this issue ever been solved once and for all? Ali was looking for the cause awhile back and figured out that
1.Might be the monster power seat motors (that you can move without the key in the ignition) just like the Mercedes sedans
2.It's not the trunk CD changer light (that would take a while anyways. Ali recorded with his phone and put it inside the trunk to confirm that the CD changer light does go off.)

If anyone has any ideas, maybe we can figure this thing out.

I know this is random, but I was wondering if it could be the way the diode pack was made in the alternator. Just FYI,

Just a wild guess, and to fix, would take redoing them.

Ali also suggested that if you're tired of coming to the SC and there is no power, you might consider getting a 12 volt circuit breaker. When the SC is in storage, just flip the switch and save your battery. That is a redneck fix though, sort of like putting seat covers on ripped leather seats. (which bother me crazy in a Lexus BTW)

Would love to hear from personal experience.
Ok so Im not too sure how common this power seat issue is, but it was one of the first places i checked when i had this drainage problem since theyre pretty massive and given its a 1992 in my case. My power seat button to push forward and backwards would sometimes work and most of the times it wouldn't and same situation for both passenger and drivers side seats. I got pretty irritated when I was driving my seat would slide back and I couldn't reach the pedals( 5'7 problems). So I stuck my spare tire in my rear seat the lodge it forward. Next thing I know I go and try and start the car it won't turn over but I heard the starter clicking so I figured the battery died and since I didn't have problems before it's a drain somewhere. So I went to autozone bought a new battery and everything worked fine so I parked it in my garage for a few days and next thing i know the battery died again. So I went through made sure the CD changer wasn't draining it, trunk light turns off and doesn't stay on, no accessory buttons were on (heated seats). Last place I checked was the power seats since I knew they were already acting wack I took a test light after I unplugged the positive terminal and yup it's a seat drainage. I'm not too sure if this is a short in the seat itself or the seat memory buttons but I unplugged it. As of right now im going to replace the old positive terminal and charge the battery so I'll hop back on here and give an update if the seats were the only problem here. I'm still learning all of this as I go along so and help or advice would be sweet.
Old 08-11-24, 02:08 PM
greystone989
3rd Gear

Smile

YellowTop Optima Yellow AGM Top Post Battery Group Size 48 | OBT YEL48

fits perfect and is made for short cycling
Old 08-17-24, 04:27 AM
Dinkbot
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Dinkbot
Ok so Im not too sure how common this power seat issue is, but it was one of the first places i checked when i had this drainage problem since theyre pretty massive and given its a 1992 in my case. My power seat button to push forward and backwards would sometimes work and most of the times it wouldn't and same situation for both passenger and drivers side seats. I got pretty irritated when I was driving my seat would slide back and I couldn't reach the pedals( 5'7 problems). So I stuck my spare tire in my rear seat the lodge it forward. Next thing I know I go and try and start the car it won't turn over but I heard the starter clicking so I figured the battery died and since I didn't have problems before it's a drain somewhere. So I went to autozone bought a new battery and everything worked fine so I parked it in my garage for a few days and next thing i know the battery died again. So I went through made sure the CD changer wasn't draining it, trunk light turns off and doesn't stay on, no accessory buttons were on (heated seats). Last place I checked was the power seats since I knew they were already acting wack I took a test light after I unplugged the positive terminal and yup it's a seat drainage. I'm not too sure if this is a short in the seat itself or the seat memory buttons but I unplugged it. As of right now im going to replace the old positive terminal and charge the battery so I'll hop back on here and give an update if the seats were the only problem here. I'm still learning all of this as I go along so and help or advice would be sweet.
It was the power seats. Let it sit for a week and it started back up no problem. So now I'm getting rid of the 80lb torta rated seats for some lighter buckets.
Old 08-17-24, 08:43 AM
stheodore
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

My SC400 just arrived by truck yesterday and needed a jump start after sitting for 10 days. I was worried that the battery would no longer be any good, but after taking a full charge it seems to be behaving itself and starts crisply. It's a 1996 model so I suppose that means I don't have the security system switch mentioned in this thread, but it's nice to read a thread about the battery draw as I don't know much about these cars yet.