Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Positive Wiring Options for Accessories

Looking for some insight on how you guys wire in aftermarket accessories like:

- Apexi SAFC
- Boost Controller
- Wideband
- Lighting

I'm aware of the cigarette lighter as an ignition based positive wire to tap into but I know it can't be good to try to splice all the accessories into that.

Would it be best to bring in a separate wire from the battery and trigger it with a relay off the cigarette lighter? What are some other safe tap in wires for wiring in accessories?
Old 07-03-13, 01:55 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I used a power source that was triggered on by the key in the driver side kick panel. I also wired in a seperate fuse to protect the even further.

You can use a 30 amp relay for a safer way of doing it. Thats up to you. Alot have also used the lighter as well. To be the most safe, I say use a seperate relay and trigger it on by a switch in the kick panel.
Old 07-03-13, 03:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Apexi SAFC -should go the pin on the ecu it says you to use in the write-ups, because you dont wan't the accessory fuse going and then your car will stall right away because of no maf or map sensor.

all the other stuff I usually run off the cigarette line because that is the accessory line and is designed to handle a fair amount of amps, and the wideband and the boost controller don't use much electricity at all and work well on that line since they aren't as needed as the safc but the accessory line is pretty reliable unless you drop a penny in your lighter socket!! whoops.

So it would come down to the lighting and how much you intend to plug into the cigarette lighter. If you use a few led's that wouldn't be a big deal, but I am not sure how much lighting you are talking about.. lol. If the lighting is substantial then you are right about the relay you should run a relay just for the lights. I would not put lights and anything else important on the same line, because it will only be as good as the weakest link when they all share the same fuse or relay, and lights have issues from time to time.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-03-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-03-13, 05:27 PM
kapetajr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a buddy good with wiring install this for me. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...iteup-included
Old 07-05-13, 06:14 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Apexi SAFC -should go the pin on the ecu it says you to use in the write-ups, because you dont wan't the accessory fuse going and then your car will stall right away because of no maf or map sensor.
That makes alot of sense, if that unit powers off during a pull that would be bad. I would imagine if the boost controller power went the solenoid would probably default open?

I have no intentions of anything extravagant for lighting, but I know I will want to run a car charger for my iphone in the cigarette lighter. I figured with everything wired in there, plus trying to charge my phone it may draw to many amps and pop the fuse.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 07-05-13, 01:40 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The driver kick panel next to the foot rest has a fuse block there with unused exposed relay locations. Best place to get positive power for accessories.