SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 09:46 AM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help water in trunk

Okay so today I was cleaning the sc300 and found water in the trunk. Only in the spare tire well though. What causes this?
Old 07-07-13, 10:03 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

its very common, you probably have water in the sides where your amp is too, I think the drain hoses become clogged or disconnected.
Old 07-07-13, 10:04 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Drain hose is probably clogged just lift it up and let it drain
Old 07-07-13, 10:18 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 95SC3T
Okay so today I was cleaning the sc300 and found water in the trunk. Only in the spare tire well though. What causes this?
There is one other possible scenario. I thought my sunroof drain tubes were clogged as well but they were simply a misplaced and draining into the trunk instead of through the drain hole. My thread for that issue is HERE. Check my photo and quickly eliminate this as your issue by simply opening your trunk.

HOWEVER! The fact that it is draining into the spare tire well suggests to me that it is the sunroof tubes that are clogged. Wherever this tube winds up, will get wet if misplaced though! If draining into the spare tire well, it's likely clogged. If you are running a stock Nakamichi amp, handle this immediately as the water will destroy it.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 07-07-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-07-13, 10:50 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Well upon expecting the drain hoses I found the one on the driver side was just laying there. It was still in the hole but not secured in any way. The hose was cut at an angle on the bottom. So I put it back in the hole dryed the trunk out cause there happened to be water by the drain on the driver side. Put some silicone around it hopefully that holds it and doesn't let it leak. I poured water on the sunroof and it drained out the tube. The headliner was not wet at all. So I will keep and eye on it and see what happens. I will report back in a few weeks and let y'all know. Anyone have a DIY on removing the headliner? I don't want to break the headliner. And do I have to remove c-pillars?
Old 07-07-13, 10:55 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studiogeek

There is one other possible scenario. I thought my sunroof drain tubes were clogged as well but they were simply a misplaced and draining into the trunk instead of through the drain hole. My thread for that issue is HERE. Check my photo and quickly eliminate this as your issue by simply opening your trunk.

HOWEVER! The fact that it is draining into the spare tire well suggests to me that it is the sunroof tubes that are clogged. Wherever this tube winds up, will get wet if misplaced though! If draining into the spare tire well, it's likely clogged. If you are running a stock Nakamichi amp, handle this immediately as the water will destroy it.
The area by the amp was completely dry. The spare tire well and small area on driver side was the only place that had water. The trunk carpet was wet but I figured that was from water sloshing around. I drained everything and dried it all out. So we will see. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 07-08-13, 12:05 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a wing on the trunk?

I have an aftermarket wing on mines since I bought my Lexi.

I had tons of water under the amp. My sunroof drain tube for some reason, some how got pulled out from the hole so all the water ended up pooling in that spot which gave me amp shortages.

However, my floor would also be moist in the center. At first I thought it was the sunroof tube but since I fix that, still got some water in the center of the trunk. Gasket is fine, etc.

So the wing required holes to be drilled. Holes that require some sort of rubber or foam gasket to keep water out. I'm am thinking none was used. I have yet to seal this possible leak off, but it is the better reasoning to me.

As for the driver side, I noticed some water traveling down from my antenna...
Old 07-08-13, 04:26 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Putting the tube back into the drain hole fixed my problem totally. I used zip ties to secure the tube and a bit of silicon. I picked a type of Lysol I like and soaked the trunk after cleaning it. It smells sweet now and stays dry. Easiest fix ever.
Old 07-08-13, 09:25 AM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Well it's gonna rain the next couple days so I will know what's going on then. There use to be an aftermarket wing but it got broke off before I got the car. I got the holes plugged with those push plugs from the auto store and then some silicone around them. I got another trunk lid with a spoiler on It that I want to put on so if I continue to get water I will try that lid and if that don't fix it I will just pull the headliner to make sure the tubes are on securely.

Now when I poured water on the sunroof and the water drained I never had the headliner get wet.
Old 07-08-13, 10:17 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 95SC3T
Well it's gonna rain the next couple days so I will know what's going on then. There use to be an aftermarket wing but it got broke off before I got the car. I got the holes plugged with those push plugs from the auto store and then some silicone around them. I got another trunk lid with a spoiler on It that I want to put on so if I continue to get water I will try that lid and if that don't fix it I will just pull the headliner to make sure the tubes are on securely.

Now when I poured water on the sunroof and the water drained I never had the headliner get wet.
As stated in your OP you metioned finding water in the spare tire region. Question was that the only area water was found in the trunk? Another possibility for the leaking might be the rubber seal trim around the the trunk, maybe worn causing the water to enter the Sc trunk.

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 07-08-13 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-08-13, 01:06 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

thanks Teal SC400, I looked around the truck lid seal and noticed alot of leafs and stuff so i cleaned that all out and wiped the seals and everything so we will see what happens.

thanks everyone for their help I will keep yall updated. All of your guys responses is the reason i enjoy being apart of the lexus community.
Old 07-08-13, 01:42 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headliner will not get wet if the all the tubes were clogged unless it was A LOT LOT of water to collect and start spill over.

Damn water issues lol
Old 07-08-13, 09:45 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed because I too have water in my trunk sometimes. Usually on the driver side near the jack. I haven't checked the passenger side yet but I would like to know the fix to it.
Old 07-08-13, 10:06 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

There are many reasons why we get water in our trunks. Like people said above. Seals on trunk to seal the lid, the sun roof drains, and antenna gaskets. If I didn't use my son roof I would just take it out and have metal added on the roof. But I sometimes use it so I can't delete it.