SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

could be you too

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-03 | 08:13 PM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Unhappy could be you too

Brothers, brothers I’m pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moderators edit as needed…
Evidently I’ve damaged one of my speed sensors while installing my Tein coilovers. Ok **** happens!
My lady who drives the SC during the week had a major problem on the way to work yesterday. The traction control warning light (slippery when wet-she calls it) went on intermittently and the Lexus wouldn’t move off a stop light for several minutes. So don’t ya know she made several friends on the way to work - beep beep! She is very cool about stuff. Called me later in the day and told me what happened. My thought was let’s take it to the dealer - I have an extended warranty - they will sort it out in short order. So I knocked off work early to follow her there. Wrong - a day later I’m informed by the dealer that due to the modifications (Tein CS coilover) the extended warranty is null and void. Also the tec, after several hours was unable to make a diagnosis as to what was wrong (stated as the best they had) and over $500 in diagnosis fees. So Ok (biting tongue) I’ll give some in put -check out the front speed sensors- damn I thought they would be able to sort this out in short order (Lexus hand-held tester) other wise I would have told them the previous day. Mfers! Gee don’t ya know I was right - two hours later- da! So now I’m informed that due to the infrequency that this part is problematic (call 911 Japan) I’ll be waiting until next Thursday 16th ha ha (**** me) before I can get the car back, started Wednesday the 8th. Plus the cost will be $895 + whatever = we need to verify that all the sensors are correct and then some. GD-Mfers!
So this is my problem not yours but beware it’s your car but gee don’t do any modifications that will make it -not theirs! GD-Mfers!!!! Why drive stock?

My name is Greg Oliver & bite me!
Old 01-09-03 | 08:33 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Damn, sorry to hear the bad news...
Old 01-09-03 | 08:34 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I think modification laws and rules surrounding warranty are for the most part CRAP, but they are made for morons that try and cut springs, install two inch wheel spacers, and overboost their motors so I understand the neccessity. If you damaged the speed sensor yourself while doing an aftermarket install, then Lexus shouldn't have to pay for your mistake. I don't think, however, that your extended warranty should be voided because of this. I would have went ape***** right then and there if they told me that. So if my all-stock, unmodified Lexus OEM transmission fails spontaneously, I won't be covered because I installed coilovers???
Old 01-09-03 | 08:36 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Angry

I'm also not very fond of my Lexus dealer! Most of the time they're not even willing to give me the time of day, labor charges are laughable, & the worst of all.... they refused to sell me a cup holder because "Lexus doesn't like people tinkering with things that aren't stock." Sorry to hear about all that happened SRQ400, hoping for the best possible outcome
-Johnny
Old 01-09-03 | 08:48 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SilverBolt 219
they refused to sell me a cup holder because "Lexus doesn't like people tinkering with things that aren't stock."

LOL, that's pretty bad! I would have laughed hysterically at the parts counter guy, then asked him very frankly "Do you want my money or not??!". Considering that I know more about my Lexus than all the non-mechanic employees at the dealership combined, I think I am more qualified to judge what will and will not work on my car!

BTW, I've had my fair share of service dept run ins at various dealerships. Do yourself a favor and bypass the service writers and cashiers, and talk directly to the mechanics. They are much more knowledgeable, helpful, and accomodating.
Old 01-09-03 | 09:03 PM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

My understanding of warranties is that you have voided the warranty for anything that your modifications could have screwed up. (and you did... you broke the sensors). However, if your roof flies off next week, that should still be covered, as they can't say your springs caused that. I would be p!ssed that they didn't pick up the broken sensors. I wouldn't pay the bill for that one. No results where they should have got them = no pay in my book.
Old 01-09-03 | 09:32 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I agree with Miles. You can only VOID a warranty by doing mods to your care directly effecting that warrantied items function or purpose. Example: Turbo=no engine, tranny, drivetrain warranty..duh.. Suspension=no shock, spring, ride, or bushings. However, if the speed sensor died for other reasons that your mistake...it would be covered. If you change the brakes...I would say the speed sensor is out of the question NOT covered.

The diagnosis fee is out of hand. I would call the dealer and ask for the GM or SM, explain the scenario in a nice voice, be polite and you will get your way. If he doesn't budge, politely suggest, "I do not want a free deal or for you to compensate me in any way, but I would like to pay you what it really costs to do this type of service. Two hours seems reasonable." I would also think you could easily obtain this part from a salvage yard and install yourself.

MW
Old 01-10-03 | 12:57 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

that cup holder thing reminds me, i tried to order one from the dealer, and they said $65
Old 01-10-03 | 02:46 AM
quadoptix
Rookie

Default reminds me of the time west covina toyota....

reminds me of the time my ecu died and the dealer said it was because i "lowered " my car.... stupid *** idiots at west covina toyota....this is hilarious stuff. I won my point and they fixed it, but took me like a week or arguing and 2 weeks of waiting..in the meantime they gave me a mirage rental, and i reaked havoc on it hehehehe
Mike
"a good lesson in life is abuse the rental car...its nobodies hahaha"