SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power draw issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 06:09 AM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power draw issues

Ok so I posted about this over at LexusOwnersClub the other day, but I was having some weird cluster issues. Basically my temp and fuel needles would start to black out, and my tach and speedo would blink. I also had some bulbs out in the cluster as well, So I decided to try and pull the cluster and replace the bulbs with LEDs. EPIC FAIL! I was able to pull the cluster out and got the connector on the left out, but the center and right connector proved to be impossible. So, I put it all together and decided I'd deal with it another day. I went out later in the night only to find my cluster working totally fine Needles were solid, all lights were lit up everything worked. I turned my low beams on and the cluster lights dimmed a little bit but everything worked. They worked up until I turned the dimmer switch to full on and then the temp needle started to go out again. I backed off the dimmer just a little and the needle came back to normal. I'm wondering if I just swamp out the battery, do any of you guys think the cluster would work normally? Any input would be great.
Old 08-12-13, 07:40 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Test the battery with a 12 volt tester. Should read between 13.00 and 12.00 if it's good.
Old 08-12-13, 11:21 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, this is such an old issue, do a search on O.L.T. about cluster lighting issues. It has nothing to do with the battery or lack of voltage draw. Go here to see why your cluster is doing this:
http://lextech.org/forums/index.php?topic=7.0

Last edited by Dougspeed; 08-12-13 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 11:58 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

First of all, why would you SWAMP out the battery? Sorry, just had to get it out my system, LOL.

The dimming of the cluster lights when headlights are turned on is normal, you don't want your cluster to be too bright when you're driving at night, believe me. It's like having your own headlights pointing at yourself. This is also a 15-20 year old car, bulbs go out, it's even more of a surprise that most of them are still working. Yeah, do a search on OLT's DIY's, his like the light God in this forums. LOL
Old 08-14-13, 10:03 PM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
First of all, why would you SWAMP out the battery? Sorry, just had to get it out my system, LOL.

The dimming of the cluster lights when headlights are turned on is normal, you don't want your cluster to be too bright when you're driving at night, believe me. It's like having your own headlights pointing at yourself. This is also a 15-20 year old car, bulbs go out, it's even more of a surprise that most of them are still working. Yeah, do a search on OLT's DIY's, his like the light God in this forums. LOL
lol Its all good man I was pretty tired when I wrote that post.

Anyway, yeah, she's old, I've been focusing on fixing the all the things the owner before me didnt. The car has pretty much stock 92 everything. timing belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner, drive belt, cap and rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, and battery. All stock from 92. The radiator was halfway disintegrated also. So, thats what I'm working with and why I thought the power draw had something to do with old parts
Old 08-14-13, 10:15 PM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

The major snag I ran into pulling the cluster out is the right and center connectors. How in the hell do you disconnect those things?
Old 08-14-13, 11:07 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just break the clips. I have broken mine trying to remove it about 3 years ago when I bought the car, it still holds pretty tight even without the clip that locks.
Old 08-15-13, 05:43 AM
RWDorGTFO
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Test the battery with a 12 volt tester. Should read between 13.00 and 12.00 if it's good.
No, it should read 12.6v
Old 08-15-13, 06:40 AM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Just break the clips. I have broken mine trying to remove it about 3 years ago when I bought the car, it still holds pretty tight even without the clip that locks.
I've been trying my best not to do that, but it may be the only option if I want to get it off to someone to rebuild it.

Also I've been reading your posts KingPhilip. Your story is sort of similar to mine. Mind if I PM you with some questions?
Old 08-15-13, 07:21 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Should read between 13.00 and 12.00 if it's good.

Originally Posted by RWDorGTFO
No, it should read 12.6v
You need a pie chart?

Originally Posted by MajorSloMo
I've been trying my best not to do that, but it may be the only option if I want to get it off to someone to rebuild it.
No you NEED to break the clips. That's the proper way to do it for the same reason a good cop is a dirty cop on some level. Sometimes things have to be done a certain way to be the right way. This is one of them. Once the cluster is removed, break the center clips of the three plugs completely out. They are not what holds the plugs in, friction is......they are TIGHT. The clips will prevent you from an easy calibration which may have you removing the unit 2 or 3 times when you put it back in depending on how close you get the final settings and future changes/adjustments.

This black and white approach to things will serve you no good here in the world of working with a car with as much emotion as a human in the way it responds to your maintenance. SC's are temperamental and sometimes you gotta treat them like you're the warden and they are the inmate. A little finagling of the system makes them a lot happier when it makes things flow better than a black and white solution.
Old 08-15-13, 07:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah either that or you need a magical flat head screw driver and alot of patience hanging out upside down
Old 08-15-13, 07:49 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by RWDorGTFO
No, it should read 12.6v
If this was the case, all of my batteries would fail. Technnically, when he is testing the battery, it should read generally from 12-13. That's how I measure my batteries, and if it reads 11.5v or 12.3v the battery still has voltage, plenty of voltage actually. My brand new 12v battery in my SC always reads from 11-13. Usually 12.3 or so. And it starts perfectly. (and everything else)

A PERFECT absolutely flawless battery should read 12.6 and UP.
Old 08-15-13, 11:29 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

also have some minor issues, when the turn signal is blinking the cruise control light also dims with it. I just think it has to do with the electronics being OLD... singal contact is dirty etc.

Going to see if I can get the thing refurbed and replace some of the caps to see if this helps..
Old 08-15-13, 01:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

could be the alternator or battery. make sure you have the right size if you use too small of a battery these things will show up more as well.
Old 08-15-13, 02:22 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
also have some minor issues, when the turn signal is blinking the cruise control light also dims with it. I just think it has to do with the electronics being OLD... singal contact is dirty etc.

Going to see if I can get the thing refurbed and replace some of the caps to see if this helps..
My SC does this, as well as my 96 Explorer. It's an old car thing.