question about the 300 and 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 02:17 AM
Rolexus600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about the 300 and 400

greetings,

im starting to look at another car and i've alway been interested in the SC models. My question is....should i get the 300 over the 400? I have a pet peeve. My pet peeve is when some jerk comes along side me and tries to pass me on the right. I want a car that will have good low to mid range speed so that the car could accelerate swiftly. I do not want to race everyone and would not travel over 90mph but i want a car that would be strong around town. I ask what i am asking is....would the 300 be a sufficient automobile for this purpose? note: this is not my soul purpose, but my everyday car is a 4 cynlinder camry and it cannot compete with most cars that happen to enjoy this activity (mostly maximas 1995-1999, i find). I would like to have the 300 to save some gas if there is a noticeable difference. Thank you

Mike
Old 01-13-03, 02:40 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Um, why are you in the left (passing) lane, if you are being passed on the right?
Old 01-13-03, 02:49 AM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy an SC400. They are faster than the 300, unless you plan on dinking around with a turbo charger, etc. You don't sound like the type, so you're probably better off with the SC400. Trust me, if ANYONE tries to get around you in an SC400 at freeway speeds, gunning it will promptly get you up to 100+ MPH in the blink of an eye. The poor sucker in the Maxima or Civic won't know what hit him. I think most people simply underestimate the speed of these automobiles. They have no idea that Lexus even makes a V8, let alone a throaty V8 with major *****.
Old 01-13-03, 02:53 AM
Bentley1
Driver

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Um, why are you in the left (passing) lane, if you are being passed on the right?
Um, not to get in it with you again Perry, but there are these things called the freeway... If one is traveling in the left lane, cars may decide to pass on the right if you are not going fast enough for their taste.
Old 01-13-03, 03:10 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, buy an SC400 and put in a Swift Racing/Precision Industries torque converter ($900). I guarantee you it will not disappoint. At speeds above say 30mph, it is very difficult for most cars to edge ahead enough to pass a stubborn SC400, but with a performance torque convertor, it will be damn near impossible for most cars! We are talking about GS4-like acceleration off the line. A tune up and ecu-reset helps slightly too.
Old 01-13-03, 03:49 AM
Bentley1
Driver

How do you reset the ECU, just unplug the negative battery terminal for a minute? Anything to watch out for, as far as it screwing up the alarm system, etc. after reseting it?
Old 01-13-03, 05:42 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bentley1

Um, not to get in it with you again Perry, but there are these things called the freeway... If one is traveling in the left lane, cars may decide to pass on the right if you are not going fast enough for their taste.
I think Perry is referring to the rule that you always drive as far right as possible unless you have to pass someone. Too many people stay in a left lane when there is little traffic in their right. I observe this rule and stay as much to the right as possible and switch lanes when I need to pass only to go back right as soon as possible. It makes traffic go by faster and it prevents people who do want to pass from getting angry because you were too unaware to move out of the way. In most cases if you are getting passed on the right then you should not have been there.
Old 01-13-03, 10:12 AM
9inarow
Rookie

Man, if you don't want cars to pass you, then get a motorcycle. All this racing talk is childish. Drive for the enjoyment the SC offers, and don't use it as some 17 year old who thinks he's playing Grand Theft Auto on the PS2 while driving a beat up Civic with a cheap 5' wing spoiler.

If you feel you need to "gun" it to 100mph to keep people from passing you, then man, you have some serious problems.
Old 01-13-03, 10:22 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I believe Mike is talking about the city streets not the highway. The same happens in Chicago where people go on the right side of you, sometimes the right turn lane, and try to get in front of you when the light turns green (sometimes going on red as well).

Mike,

If this is a case I would suggest SC400 with the PI torque converter.
Old 01-13-03, 02:59 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Get a SC400 and install NO2. 75 shot would be the easiest.
Old 01-13-03, 04:26 PM
SoCalMetsFan
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 9inarow

If you feel you need to "gun" it to 100mph to keep people from passing you, then man, you have some serious problems.
yes...good point. Deciding between a 4 and 3 is the least of your problems. Peace.
Old 01-13-03, 06:38 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

yes actually, i am referring to the city streets. Where I am from alot of jerks (mostly teens in Maximas I find) have a passion about pulling behind you, waiting until the light is about to go green, shooting over to the right of you and blowing past you...sometimes resulting in a close call where the moron nearly clips a parked car.Most times they do this when the guy in front is at a standstill when the light is about to turn green and they get a slight running start and pass you with ease. This is a daily occurence where I live. Alot of policeman have a field day when they see punks do this. Someone told me it is considered wreckless driving. But, my luck...there is never an officer around when this happens. I remeber back just about a month ago. It was about 1am on a weekday and I was at a light about 2 miles from my house when some creep did this to me. It was a silver Mitsubishi Diamante. Because I am used to this happening, I check my side view mirror to see if anyone was attempting to do this. Everything was clear. I begin to accelerate adequately....then vroom. This animal cut me off sooooo bad from the right that i had to brake violently and swerve into the left lane lane to avoid hitting him (he passed me in the right lane WHILE I was in the right lane and misjudged the space he had to cut me off and nearly hit parked cars and a utility pole) he decided to make it my problem by cutting me off within an inch of my bumper. I lost control but it ended without incident (if thats what you wanna call it). A guy in a ES300 oddly enough saw what had happened and pulled along side of me. He said "if you wanna go grab out of his car, beat him down and leave him for dead, i'm with ya" He got out to see if everything was ok and tried to recall his license plate, but couldn't. I went on and oddly enough I saw the punk about 5 stoplights down. Ironic, all this to get caught at the same stoplight as me. I rolled down the window to tell him what he was but his rap music was way too loud and he was clearly avoiding looking at me. I turned off. Now I am always anxious at stoplights cuz i know these turds look to do this, especially young turds. Thats why I want to drive something with low end power...especially for the from-a-stop challenges. Those of you who live in my area would definitely sympathize...if you don't succumb to dragging the idiot out and beating him to death first. I also have alot of interest in the LS400. I am not a fast driver, I am just sick of these animals winning. I've mostly been driving slightly older classier cars and I treat them like gold. I wouldn't want a car to beat on, but i would want a car with some muscle for the times that i just feel like it. I had anytime access to my uncles 1996 Cadillac STS which was like lightning....But I very rarely opened it up. Anyway, thats why I think I'd appreciate a car with some power these days. I drove my friends 95 and 97 LS400 and that was more than sufficient power i thought. Anyway, good day to you folks!

Mike

P.S.......alot of 3 series bmw's play the passing game too!
Old 01-13-03, 07:03 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

get a SC 400.....luxury first then speed.
Old 01-13-03, 07:05 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Get a SC400, and you'll see these fools driving straight into the right-handside parked car and having to "brake violently and swerve" onto a sidewalk.

Last edited by ChronoJ1; 01-13-03 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 07:16 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Rolexus, I can sympathize with you on that. I watch my driver side mirror all the time when I'm waiting in a line to enter the freeway. I always see some vulture cruising past the line waiting for an opening large enough for him to nose into the front of the line. What I like to do is anticipate and provide a very inviting opening in between my car and the one in front of me, then I quickly close the gap as I see the hawk close in on me. Bye bye jackass, have fun making those u-turns! I also hate those jackasses that block a freeway offramp trying to cut ahead by ten cars in heavy traffic! They sit there in the exit lane sideways with their blinker on trying to wedge back onto the freeway meanwhile holding up all the cars behind them! I'm not talking about people who accidently exit either, they pull out of the slow lane, blast down the exit lane and then signal back into the slow lane several hundred feet down the freeway.

Quick Reply: question about the 300 and 400