SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Interesting experience with Carson Toyota last week

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 02:38 AM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Interesting experience with Carson Toyota last week

I bought an SC400 in Carson California last week, so I figured I'd drop by Carson Toyota to get an oil change before I made the journey back to Utah.

Anyway, I drive 3 blocks over to Carson Toyota in my newly purchased Black SC400, and park in the service department. You should have seen the look on the employee's faces. It was almost as though some alien space craft had landed in their lot. I got out of the car, and proceeded to tell the service guy that I wanted an oil change. "He's like, on a LEXUS?... we don't service Lexus here. We don't even have the oil filters." I told him that the Lexus filters are actually made by Toyota, and that I have purchased parts for my other Lexus from Angel at Carson Toyota in the past. He then pages Angel, in the parts department. He comes down, and now there are like 6 service guys huddled around. I can hear one of them say "we don't even have a shop manual for Lexus." I tell the guy, "an oil change is pretty basic stuff. I do them myself at home all the time, and I'm NO mechanic." By this time, Angel is rummaging around for an oil filter. I wait a few minutes, and then politely tell the service guy that I'd better take my vehicle elsewhere.

Ended up having to drive clear over to the Lexus dealer in Beverly Hills. Cost me $70 for a basic oil change! Oh well, at least there were plenty of silicon shaped blonds to keep my attention while I waited.

On a sidenote, when I pulled up to the dealer, there were lots of SC430's, new LS's, etc. The old SC400 proudly hung with the best of them! It didn't look out of place at all. What a timeless masterpiece design.
Old 01-13-03, 03:21 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Toyota dealerships in Socal won't service Lexuses. They might have some agreement down there since there's literally one Lexus dealership every ten miles and competition is stiff enough. Or it may just be liability reasons? In Norcal, Toyota will service Lexus, but they charge extra just because it's a Lexus and no other reason. I'd rather pay more at Lexus because they treat you like gods there, I get free cookies, muffins, and coffee, comfy leather couches, big screen with satellite, and my car always comes back washed, shined, and smelling and running like new.

Since you're new, you might not know, but Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys (15 miles up 405N) has a special arrangement with CL. I think it's 15% off all parts and service for Paid Members? Plus they treat CL members really good. In fact the service foreman at Keyes is a moderator here. You might want to go there next time, not as many silicone babes in the lounge as Faulk, but they still represent at around lunchtime on weekdays . BTW, I think Carson Toyota has the best prices on Lexus OEM parts, unless Keyes is competing with them now, but I'd look into who is cheaper. Actually the service manager at Carson is on the forums too, Steve drives a bad *** Supra TT, and his son drives a PHAT SC300 .