SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Gated shifter trim question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 06:10 AM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gated shifter trim question

Hey guys I've been searching around on here for a little while now, but I'm running into a bit of confusion. I'm looking for an ashtray, cup holder, and gated shifter surround with wood trim. I can't figure out what year came like this that still retains the heated seats and TRAC switch. Can anyone help me out?
Old 08-21-13, 10:03 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

98+ models that have the gated shifter do not have a TRAC button. They only have the Pwr/Econ switch and heated seats (if the car came with the heated seat option, mine didnt )
Old 08-21-13, 02:06 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Buying those parts new if there still available is going to cost big bucks. You need to contact someone like Aliga and get him to get them for you. It took me forever to find a gated shifter with a clean surround and nice ashtray.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Gated shifter trim question-dash3.jpg  
Old 08-21-13, 06:07 PM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
98+ models that have the gated shifter do not have a TRAC button. They only have the Pwr/Econ switch and heated seats (if the car came with the heated seat option, mine didnt )
Thanks for reminding me about the Power/Normal switch. I totally forgot about that Maybe I'll just leave it alone cause I certainly dont want to cut into a factory part and run the risk of ruining it. Thanks for the quick responses guys
Old 08-21-13, 07:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Shane could your interior be any dirtier??? LOL
Old 08-22-13, 08:42 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorSloMo
Thanks for reminding me about the Power/Normal switch. I totally forgot about that Maybe I'll just leave it alone cause I certainly dont want to cut into a factory part and run the risk of ruining it. Thanks for the quick responses guys
If you're thinking about doing the shifter conversion, you should be able to do a few simple splices and have it working properly, as per the DIY floating around here somewhere. It looks pretty simple.
Old 08-22-13, 09:40 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

yea everyone has these problems because no one takes the time to show others how its really done.

Few scattered threads with no clear answers, the usual story.

Ive wanted the gated shifter for a long time, had the opportunity to buy many , but still don't have any definite answers on what to do with the overdrive.

The overdrive needs to be wired into the 4th gear people say, which is available on 'some' gated shifters, others say it can be wired in without the 4th gear, so who the hell knows.

As for the trac button you just need to dremel out a new hole in the wood trim, and it stays the same.
Old 08-22-13, 10:53 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Gated shifter install is really easy. If someone really needs it I have wiring diagram to install a 99-2000 SC300 gated shifter into a 97 SC300. Mine is all plug in play as I was fortunate enough to get the connectors for the 97 already installed on my gated shifter. Splicing the wiring is a breeze. Here is the pic of when I got my gated shifter that already had the main harness plug and the overdrive plug already spliced together. Top pic is the ECT switch that still has the 99-2000 plug on it but you only have to splice three wires, it took me all of two minutes to make it work.

Mark, it actually was a little dirty in that pic.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Gated shifter trim question-switch-trac.jpg   Gated shifter trim question-shifter.jpg  
Old 08-22-13, 08:50 PM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

I wasn't actually looking to do the gated shifter mod itself. I was more or less after the wood trim panels for the ash tray and surround, but again I don't want to damage a factory part to install something that wasn't an option. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to that sort of thing. I don't mind my current stock set up at all. I'm just pulling inspiration from SC430 and my lighting mods (When I actually do them) from LF-A