SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need help/advice on front lip repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 07:11 PM
crenfro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/advice on front lip repair

Alright so I have a 92 SC400 that came with the oem lip on it and when I bought it the lip was already cracked in the right hand side and was bent in the middle. No idea how it happened but I have really just started disliking how it makes the whole front end just look messed up!

I need advice on how I can possibly fix it (if I can at all), or if I should just go ahead and possibly get an aftermarket one, but I really want to be able to fix the oem one at least.

I have no idea on how I should go about fixing it especially the crack...

Old 08-21-13, 07:17 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats a big ol gash you have there. I would try some plastic filler, then bondo, then sand until smooth. Then paint with some good plastic paint color of your choice. I used SEM plastic paint on my front lip and it still is holding up. On the curve you have in the front, heat it from the back with a heat gun or something close. Be careful not to burn it, that's why do it from the back side. Once heated, then pull it toward the front and allow to cool. It should come back to the normal curve. Mine did by doing this method. GL
Old 08-23-13, 12:50 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 92, it was cracked and ripped completely through. One day I decided to remove it and repair it, when It came off the car it fell into three big pieces and a few small ones. The aluminum strips that hold it in place all broke because the t-bolts all rusted and ripped the aluminum (bad design btw).

I fist used fiber glass behind the pieces to hold them together but even after three days the resin never grabbed and it fell apart. And while the piece was off the car, wind would pull my fender liners down into the wheels at speed. For this reason I decided to reinstall the pieces. I used 10mm bolts and nuts to attach it then used black caulk behind it to stablize it till I found a better solution. Also used the silicone to go between the new home made clamps (painted steel vs aluminum).

Once I put the lower back in my mpgs went back up and no more tire rubbing. Also my coil pack fried from water without this piece on.

Currently the caulk is all that's holding it together and it's holding well. Once I have time/funds I will use ABS and my soldering iron to clean it up. One thing I thought of was using garden edging but gluing it to the front face to cover the cracks/holes and just painting over it. This will keep it rigid vs not having the stock unit behind it.

Just adding thoughts