Urgent! Battery tie down shorted out positive terminal

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 01:19 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GordonDET
Hmmm, where to start?

First off, this is not a tech support forum, it is a Lexus owners forum. Yes there is info here that is helpful in diagnosing problems that is because members of this site relate their own stories about problems to help others out when they encounter a similar problem. With this type of a web forum it is usually best to search older posts for a solution rather than wait for someone to hold your hand and lead you to a solution. The few people that screwed up and didn't put the bolts back in the battery hold down bracket correctly, thus causing a dead short, thus contributing to a ground to fail (seems odd btw) may not have logged in for a few weeks, or months even.

I realize that it is stressful trying to diagnose a problem when you are in a hurry and no one responds (been installing an alarm in my sc400, door lock wires are not what the chart shows, f@#kers, lol) but when that happens you figure it out, fix it, and post how you fixed it so the next person can find it in a search. Thus making this a better forum.

I realize this is an older thread, the reason I posted is because I had a similar problem. So after my preaching I thought I should follow my own advise.

Last December when I got my SC I had to get a new battery, It was 6 am and I had to get to work, so I went to walmart, got a battery that had posts on the correct sides and hooked it up, it was smaller and the strap did not engage the battery, I ignored it and left it loose then promptly forgot about it. A couple months later I was driving home from work at midnite and starting having power flux issues. Installed cell phone speaker resetting, lights dimming, crazy stuff, pulled over a couple times and couldn't see any problem. Finally I noticed sparks flying out from under the hood next to the battery. Pulled over and sure enough the hold down strap was trying to mate with the pos terminal. Yanked it off and no further problems. I didn't post it because I felt like a dumbass. Unfortunately you were not so lucky.

In conclusion, I hope you kept your SC, they are great cars as long as you treat them right. And don't pull a bonehead move like I did buy the wrong battery, not replace the hold downs correctly, and try to burn them up.

nobody is gonna know the answer to your problem when they are dealing with "he said she said" situations. they would need to diagnose in front of the car. so they did the best they could with the most likely cause. they didnt even have to help and couldve just ignored you.