SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc300 1jz turbo a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 02:12 PM
bubbafinch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 1jz turbo a good buy?

Alright everyone, I have a opportunity to buy a 1992 sc300 turbo 1jzgte from a chaser from a fellow about three hours north of me. The car looks amazing, I haven't drove it yet; this weekend I will. However the engine and AUTO transmission are stock with the exception of a single turbo which is running at 14 psi, to include injectors and ecu. The car will come with a MAP ECU uninstalled as well as 650cc injectors and bigger fuel rail.
My question is, if it is running off the stock chaser ecu, (with a harness done by dr.tweek.) How could I hook up the MAP ecu without possibly f#ing up what seems to be a good car. I talked to a local tuner and he was VERY skeptical of how it would hook up without a plug and play harness as well as trying to hook it into the Japanese chaser ecu ect. If I get this car I don't want to make crazy horsepower, just enough for a fun daily driver.

Is it worth the $7500 risk? also, I don't have a bunch of money to sink into this car if it goes south.

Thank you in advance for your response
Ricky

^ link for car.

ps the guy selling it seems like a honest straight forward guy. I am just trying to get a third party opinion, that is more knowledgeable than mine.

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 09-10-13 at 04:21 PM. Reason: No Craigslist ads.
Old 09-10-13, 05:29 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The map ecu isn't going to really mess anything up. Wire it properly, find a base map and then get a tune and your done.

I guess the hardest part is finding the wiring info?

go check out the map ecu website for additional information.
Old 09-10-13, 06:34 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert, but I am almost positive the Chaser and Soarer ECUs are interchangeable. A 1jz guru will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. I guess my point is, (readily available) wiring information for a soarer is applicable to the chaser ecu.
Old 09-10-13, 06:40 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what does the car look like?
Old 09-10-13, 06:57 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

links not allowed, go grab img url and post it on here.
Old 09-10-13, 06:57 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Been watching this car too, I'm good and don't ned another one but if you are scared to wire in the MAP ecu Grip will do it over here in Melbourne for a good price and street tune it or if you want Dyno it. I didn't see the link but I am pretty sure it's one of the two over near Tampa that are for sale. I would talk him down some if it were me but then again when I finish mine and go to sell it I won't take less than what I have in mind you know?
Old 09-10-13, 07:54 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

You can get the PNP harness for the MAP-ECU. It doesn't take much tuning with the stock 02 sensor and the correct base map. The idle takes 5 minutes to tune and WOT takes a few pulls.

I've used the map-ecu on my 2jz-gte 700rwhp daily driven and a bunch of other JZ platforms.

I currently have a MAP-ECU 2 on my single turbo SC 5spd w/ Soarer 1JZ. I just upgraded to a SARD ecu different injector size and single turbo and it was almost perfectly tuned from the previous tune with the stock ecu and stock twins.

What I'm trying to say is the stock 02 sensor does the major work.

You will need a Windows 98 Laptop with a serial port, the USB converter does not work.
Old 09-11-13, 01:54 AM
bubbafinch
Driver School Candidate

I'll get some pics posted later today. But the car is exceptionally clean. BMW alpine white, a lot of tasteful mods. It's out of Columbus ga.
Another question, how reliable are the automatic transmissions that came in the chaser? Owner told me he had a shift kit installed, as well as a good oil cooler.
Old 09-11-13, 01:59 AM
bubbafinch
Driver School Candidate

Is the pnp harness available for the 1jz? I seen one for the 2jz, would it be the same?
Originally Posted by fried_rice
You can get the PNP harness for the MAP-ECU. It doesn't take much tuning with the stock 02 sensor and the correct base map. The idle takes 5 minutes to tune and WOT takes a few pulls.

I've used the map-ecu on my 2jz-gte 700rwhp daily driven and a bunch of other JZ platforms.

I currently have a MAP-ECU 2 on my single turbo SC 5spd w/ Soarer 1JZ. I just upgraded to a SARD ecu different injector size and single turbo and it was almost perfectly tuned from the previous tune with the stock ecu and stock twins.

What I'm trying to say is the stock 02 sensor does the major work.

You will need a Windows 98 Laptop with a serial port, the USB converter does not work.
Old 09-11-13, 05:45 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Originally Posted by bubbafinch
I'll get some pics posted later today. But the car is exceptionally clean. BMW alpine white, a lot of tasteful mods. It's out of Columbus ga.
Another question, how reliable are the automatic transmissions that came in the chaser? Owner told me he had a shift kit installed, as well as a good oil cooler.
Depends on the year but the Auto should be the A340E which can be very stout honestly. Not a bad tranny, I have two right now - and am working a deal for a R154 but just becuae i prefer to row gears, few mods here and there to that tranny - such as that shift kit and it's very fast and predictable. Just tightening up line pressure in the pan helps alot on these. If he has a shift kit make sure he has an aftermarket cooler on it....
Old 09-11-13, 10:26 AM
bubbafinch
Driver School Candidate

Good to know, and yes it already has a large oil cooler. Damn I'm getting excited about the car now
Old 09-12-13, 04:56 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Do not take your car to the "tuner" that said he wasn't sure how it would hook up without a pnp harness, or to the chaser ecu. That person is a COMPLETE moron and shouldnt be touching this kind of stuff if hes not familiar with it. in fact, the install is retarded simple. Stockhatch is right if its jzx90 ecu its pretty much directly the same ecu as a soarer. One difference might be fuel pump control circuit, but not positive as I just do "12v mod" on any of these cars I touch. There's zero reason not to.

Plus one for grip industries, good guys that know their stuff!
Old 09-12-13, 06:26 AM
tjmhillz
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrank
Do not take your car to the "tuner" that said he wasn't sure how it would hook up without a pnp harness, or to the chaser ecu. That person is a COMPLETE moron and shouldnt be touching this kind of stuff if hes not familiar with it. in fact, the install is retarded simple. Stockhatch is right if its jzx90 ecu its pretty much directly the same ecu as a soarer. One difference might be fuel pump control circuit, but not positive as I just do "12v mod" on any of these cars I touch. There's zero reason not to.

Plus one for grip industries, good guys that know their stuff!
I agree If your tuner doesn't feel comfortable then I would find another tuner is is. Never take your car to somebody who doesn't know what they are doing. We don't want to see another post from you but its a horror thread.
Old 09-12-13, 08:21 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of tuner is scared to wire in a map ecu??? wtf
Old 09-12-13, 11:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah wiring in a map ecu is like a baby step harder than a safc which I could install on any toyota once finding a wiring diagram. There is about the same amount of info out there on chaser stuff as soarer stuff, people love the X-chassis cars, should have no problem finding a pinout. I would stay away from the tuner, and if you can't handle working with a piggyback, just leave it stock and enjoy it how it is, or maybe pass on a 1jz car because there are lots of things on that car that common shops will have no idea how to fix, if the last person did stuff wrong.