SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just Bought this SC400, what would you do????

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 08:02 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep it, turn it, sell it. OR, keep it, dump it on coilovers, widebody, 20' rims, ect. OR keep it, use the two and a half parts for your completely different colored SC, throw the rest away, have a frame in your driveway with less miles then the next door neighbors Neon.

You see where I'm coming from...lol
Old 09-11-13, 09:47 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what needs to be done to it:

2 years is not a long time to sit at all. i have a 73 620 pick up truck that didnt run for 7 years and fired up fine. that is actually the story with a lot of datsuns (and other classic cars.)

my sc sat for 4 years undriven, it was garaged however. but all the systems are contained. only thing i did was change the oil for the drive down from WA to CA.

2 years in my opinion wouldnt make much go bad. the alternator? never heard of that. the brakes? never heard of that as well. as for rotors, those will rust. rotors gather surface rust overnight, even. i would first drive the car with some regular braking, should take care of the rust.

however, maintenance i would do when taking ownership of a new car:
-change all fluids (oil, brake, flush the radiator, etc)
-spark plugs
-air filter
-etc

as for what I would do to the car if it were mine. 5 speed swap

oh and new gas.
Old 09-11-13, 02:30 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey-E
What a steal bro! You can flip it for sure! And yeah those mud flaps are rare! I loved to have those on my SC lol...After a nice tune up, fluid change, new gas, etc... i bet it will run like a dream! 93,000 miles? Thats nothing man.
thanks buddy yea the mileage is the reason I refused to part this thing out, its just too low and has so much more life left in it

i couldnt scrap it no way

Originally Posted by jadu
make it stick shift, super charge or ITB, and then put your ultra wide 20s on it

or fix this to daily drive and go widebody on your other SC
lol these damn fat boy wheels , i love them but man they keep cracking my fenders, as cool as they are , I refuse to butcher another SC for them.

But yea if I had a driveway I would of probably been keeping this as a winter/daily

Originally Posted by Kira X
Sell it for more than you paid and get the LS430.
lol Kira funny you mention that.

I was supposed to go test drive one this week, but ive been sidetracked with this new project and work.

Also I joined a few other car forums, been trolling them for the past few months trying to learn what I can, Mercedes and corvette, and I really cant find a better overall car for me then the Ls430.

Benz has better styling and power (amg's) but they are way to problematic for me and expensive to maintain, corvettes are nice but they really arent that practical for a daily, so yea im back full steam ahead with the Ls430 in my sights

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Mine actually came with mud flaps too. After about two years I removed them. I think you should keep it and see if you can get it running for hardly anything. Good luck and what a steal!
Thanks man

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
DON"T TELL HIM THAT! I don't want to pay too much if he ever sells them!
Lol man, I sold a set earlier this year, i think I had a buyer in the first day.

But yea they do look good on a nice stock bodied, SC, lowered with some rims, its a very clean look.
Old 09-11-13, 02:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and I forgot to mention, I went in to my mechanics shop today and the engine runs like a dream, my mechanic says he ran it for a while after we spoke and it probably just needed to work a few kinks out of its sytem , or perhaps there was a little moisture in the tank, but the engine is now running amazing.

But im still gonna siphen out that old fuel and add some 94 premuim, as well and change the oil and some of the other fluids.

So I went ahead and bought brand new rotors and pads, alternator and its being taken care of as we speak.

I should be getting it back tonight or tomorow

Ill post some more detailed pics at that time
Old 09-11-13, 02:39 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm, if you sell this youll have enough for coilovers and a paint job
Old 09-11-13, 06:32 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it ***** it looks like a steal
Old 09-11-13, 07:13 PM
DJRekon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great deal congrats!!
Old 09-11-13, 07:46 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the rotors --- they don't rust away! Find the leak, change the pads, and bleed the system. Pick up a used battery and alternator at a scrap yard. You can probably get stock size tires there for about $160 too. Change fluids, and you have a $2600 car to sell.
Old 09-11-13, 08:32 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

100% keep it, i cant believe parting was an option. i got mine in pretty much the same condition, except mine has 200k...runs great tho!
Old 09-11-13, 09:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 93Gotjuice
Keep it ***** it looks like a steal
Originally Posted by DJRekon
great deal congrats!!
thanks guys

Originally Posted by hoosier58
Turn the rotors --- they don't rust away! Find the leak, change the pads, and bleed the system. Pick up a used battery and alternator at a scrap yard. You can probably get stock size tires there for about $160 too. Change fluids, and you have a $2600 car to sell.
unfortunately the rotors do rust to the point of them not being salvagable, we even tried towing the car from the front to loosen the rear wheels,,,they just scraped and would not budge, not one little bit.

siezed and rusted completely

Considering the mileage I think its worth more then $2600 if everythings repaired and its in good running order.

SC's around here are going for 3-5 grand with 200000kms or more in worse condition.

Originally Posted by SC4o0
100% keep it, i cant believe parting was an option. i got mine in pretty much the same condition, except mine has 200k...runs great tho!
yea i really didnt ever want to part it , but it was tempting, i could of used the fenders, full leather interior, panels, lip , mud flaps, headlights, dash lights up perfectly, etc... there was alot of useful parts , and i could of sold and scrapped the rest i would of came up quite nice.

There is also the hidden problem factor when u take on these projects, so it was the safe choice to just do a part out, but in the end no I couldnt lol
Old 09-14-13, 05:51 AM
kapetajr
Pole Position

You got one hell of a deal man. I would keep it as a DD. Btw your sc looks pretty mean rolling down the street (I saw you at st clair and christine last night)
Old 09-14-13, 08:18 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Considering the place you reside, Toronto Cananda and the scarce number of Sc's available in your town, it's a keeper IMO. I part with the words.. Let's go Rangers!
Old 09-14-13, 01:39 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kapetajr
You got one hell of a deal man. I would keep it as a DD. Btw your sc looks pretty mean rolling down the street (I saw you at st clair and christine last night)
thanks man, yea I live right around there, ull probably see me around a lot if your in that neighborhood.

another member here spotted me in scarborough last week too, the wheels make it hard to miss I think

Im waiting to see what my repair bill is for this new project, if its low enough ill try to get those TT's off you.

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
Considering the place you reside, Toronto Cananda and the scarce number of Sc's available in your town, it's a keeper IMO. I part with the words.. Let's go Rangers!
lol considering I used to be a big Brian Leech fan I wont take offence to that
Old 09-14-13, 05:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Just picked up the car from the mechanic, it rides like night and day from my current SC, so much tighter, hard to explain, like a completely different car, definitely a better feel then my current one.

Also all the little things, like the door hinges, door handles, cleaner interior, no exhaust leaks , things like that.

Anyways had new rotors and pads put on, fixed a power steering leak, brake line leak , oil change and replaced alternator.

I also added a few gallons of premium 94 and its running very smooth, although with a slight misfie at very low idle, hard to notice, but as soon as u give it gas its smooth as can be.

For some reason all these lights are on , trac, track off, engine light, air bag light, tried to pull codes with paper clip but nothing flashed, ill try again tomorrow, but the lights come off sometimes , so im unsure of what it is.

I also paid my mechanic to let me use his hoist for a few hours, and I cleaned up the underside of the car with a grinder, wire wheel, wd-40, grease and rubber coating, its good to go.

Things to do tomorrow are get new bulbs,(few are burnt) , wash and wax,headlight restoration, leather care and cleaning and im gonna drain the tranny fluid and replace it with some Toyota type 4.

Anyways its a stock car so nothing special , but thought id post a few pics anyways, its still not cleaned inside or out but u get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Just Bought this SC400, what would you do????-new-lex-947.jpg   Just Bought this SC400, what would you do????-new-lex-949.jpg   Just Bought this SC400, what would you do????-new-lex-950.jpg   Just Bought this SC400, what would you do????-new-lex-955.jpg   Just Bought this SC400, what would you do????-new-lex-953.jpg  

Old 09-16-13, 01:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol Kira funny you mention that.

I was supposed to go test drive one this week, but ive been sidetracked with this new project and work.

Also I joined a few other car forums, been trolling them for the past few months trying to learn what I can, Mercedes and corvette, and I really cant find a better overall car for me then the Ls430.

Benz has better styling and power (amg's) but they are way to problematic for me and expensive to maintain, corvettes are nice but they really arent that practical for a daily, so yea im back full steam ahead with the Ls430 in my sights
I too love Mercedes and Corvettes.The LS430 is an amazing car and you could daily drive it. The Corvette would be pretty fun too if you had a cheap sedan as a back up car. What kind of Benzes were you looking at? If you like the LS430 but don't want to spend a lot of money the 97-99 W140 S420 is an awesome car.

It's good to see you're shooting for the LS again. You won't be disappointed. Check out the Ultimate Picture Thread and the LS430 On 20 Inch Wheels thread on the LS430 forum.

Quick Reply: Just Bought this SC400, what would you do????