SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Push to start in volume controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 11:40 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Push to start in volume controller

Hello to all members of Club Lexus, first off i'd like to say i appreciate every member that has contributed to my knowledge of this wondrous car for turning me from a complete N00B into a die hard Sc lover and knowing what to do, and how to do it, also all the hilarious comments
I'm quite the lurker but whilst lurking I have learned so much from so many members it's incredible! BTW I've also learned the true meaning of searching lol...I just hope i don't get burned at the stake for posting a new post

Anyways back to the subject, after countless failed attempts of searching various forms of "lexus sc300 push to start in volume control" with exception to Dustin2JZ for his write up of installing a push to start button as a replacement to the volume button, which was quite awesome , I was searching for a way to use the volume button as the push to start so only I would know how to start it instead of a obvious button to start it lol Well i couldn't but have seen other members discussing if it's possible and wanting to look into it so i actually did it with a switch for the "on" position for a very low amount of $$ and I love it and would like to share it with you all if it hasn't been done before, also i would like to know if i needed an inline fuse by chance? I reallyyyy don't want to blow a fuse/have electrical problems.

If anyone would like a write up (with pictures of course, and video ) feel free to let me know in the comments below! btw i have a white 95' Sc300 , if that makes any type of difference between the volume buttons with the 92-94 95-96 97-2000 years, or sc400.
Old 09-16-13, 01:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the start button is just what us electronic guys call a momentary on switch.
the rest of the circuit would be the same as the other push button you will need relays and such, basically get the whole thing and just reuse the stock switch instead of the new one.

the volume button when pushed down is probably a momentary on switch on one of the wires back there, the only time I have seen a diagram of someone trying to repurpose it was from way back on soarer central, there is actually a pinout and diagram for each of the stock radio switches, then its just a simple substitute wiring up the stock momentary switch instead of the aftermarket "start" button. I would suggest also placing an on/off switch that disables the momentary start and put that somewhere more secret, I think that comes already on alot of these circuits some kind of cut off.

Ill update with the diagrams when I find them, I only have seen them once ages ago.
not the original but a copy of the info I found, the pins you are looking for are the push one and ground obviously.
You may want to test it as it is from a soarer so the pin locations may be backwards or a little different.
http://www.mp3car.com/hardware-devel...e-control.html

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-16-13 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 12:32 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the volume button when pushed down is probably a momentary on switch on one of the wires back there, the only time I have seen a diagram of someone trying to repurpose it was from way back on soarer central, there is actually a pinout and diagram for each of the stock radio switches, then its just a simple substitute wiring up the stock momentary switch instead of the aftermarket "start" button.
I do know that a push to start button is nothing but a momentary switch (was going to get a simple one from radioshack) and yes when pushed down the volume button is a momentary switch as you mentioned above, I have wired the volume button in the same way that cl member 'Scotia" wired his horn into the voume button about 6 months ago. that's where i got the idea of wiring it that way. Thank you for your response and the time it took to find the diagram for the pins but I thought I made sure to mention that i had already completed this modification and was wondering if anyone else would like to make that button functional while having a way to start it that's very low-key. Sorry for any confusion i may have caused.
Old 09-17-13, 02:34 AM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaker13
I do know that a push to start button is nothing but a momentary switch (was going to get a simple one from radioshack) and yes when pushed down the volume button is a momentary switch as you mentioned above, I have wired the volume button in the same way that cl member 'Scotia" wired his horn into the voume button about 6 months ago. that's where i got the idea of wiring it that way. Thank you for your response and the time it took to find the diagram for the pins but I thought I made sure to mention that i had already completed this modification and was wondering if anyone else would like to make that button functional while having a way to start it that's very low-key. Sorry for any confusion i may have caused.
I'd like to see this! If you can do a diy? That would be freaking awesome

Last edited by 93Gotjuice; 09-17-13 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-17-13, 09:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

man I read your post like 3 times and I couldn't tell if you had done it or not, I figured since you didn't post it that it must be like a question gauging interest of something but I see you have already done it now.

I am sure people would be interested in it, please share it if you like. as for the inline fuse I would have to see the circuit to tell you that, but if the circuit you are tapping into for power is already fused at least you have some protection already.
Old 09-17-13, 09:56 AM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

man I read your post like 3 times and I couldn't tell if you had done it or not, I figured since you didn't post it that it must be like a question gauging interest of something but I see you have already done it now.

I am sure people would be interested in it, please share it if you like. as for the inline fuse I would have to see the circuit to tell you that, but if the circuit you are tapping into for power is already fused at least you have some protection already.
Same here, I had to read it a couple times to finally get that he actually did it himself already lol
Old 09-17-13, 12:47 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by 93Gotjuice
I'd like to see this! If you can do a diy? That would be freaking awesome
Yea, no problem..I'll get right on it

Once again, sorry for any confusion lol It is wired into the ignition wires (Power, Acc, On)
Old 09-17-13, 04:37 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunno about u guys, but I love the idea of retaining the stock key hole as new cars have. This is the system I'm getting..
http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104B.html
Old 09-17-13, 07:14 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Dunno about u guys, but I love the idea of retaining the stock key hole as new cars have. This is the system I'm getting..
Thats one of the systems my buddy has on his sc300
Old 09-17-13, 07:44 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Agh I wish I could get that instead, BUT the wallet is limiting me
Old 09-17-13, 08:25 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slaker13
Agh I wish I could get that instead, BUT the wallet is limiting me
Yea me too but in the mean time in interested in what you did to yours if its cheaper. How much was it with parts?
Old 09-17-13, 09:55 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by 93Gotjuice
Yea me too but in the mean time in interested in what you did to yours if its cheaper. How much was it with parts?
Yea it's dirt cheap man, In total...$0 But it may be about $10 for the average person, i had spare wire laying around and the things i needed to do it so it didn't cost me a dime...and that makes me happy lol
That Diy is up, it lists the things you will need, how to do it and a video of it working