SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cd manuals .... Are they any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 01:34 PM
civicminded
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cd manuals .... Are they any good?

Has anyone purchase one those cd manuals off of ebay? Are they worth it? Are they pretty easy to use?
Thanks
Sean
Old 01-17-03, 01:37 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one, and it was absolute garbage. Nothing of value in it at all. Amazing how a company could put out something so utterly worthless. Save your money and buy the shop manuals if you are serious about it.
Old 01-17-03, 01:41 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

civicminded,

The manuals are relatively inexpensive from Lexus. We have some vendor discounts available for CL members that makes them marginally more than those silly CD's but worth every penny.

MW
Old 01-17-03, 02:04 PM
civicminded
Driver School Candidate

Who do I need to contact to get the manual through CL?
Thanks Again
Old 01-17-03, 04:03 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

civicminded,

Take a look at the vendor links. One is to www.lexus-parts.com.

I have ordered from them before, and they are excellent. He even fed-ex'd the package to me for free....although it was just a DVD-Nav update.

I think the price on his site is ~$90 for the first 2 manuals. There is a third electrical that you rarely need.

MW
Old 01-17-03, 04:59 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

That's a bargain price. I got mine from the Toyota Material Distribution Center. They are specific to my year (1996) and cover both the 300 and 400 cars. Prices were:

Wiring diagrams $62.50
Repair Manuals (2 volumes) $157.57

plus tax and shipping = $242.03
Old 01-18-03, 11:23 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

I heard that the CD manuals are worthless. I looked around on E-Bay and was able to buy both volumes of the service manual for $70!!!. Do some searching before you shell out $200+.
Old 01-19-03, 02:06 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

I was wondering if the ebay ones were any good... damn.

But at the prices mentioned above (70 for 2), I will buy them. Might even scan them in and sell a few copies locally for $10 til I cover my initial cost. Any aussie guys already got them? Are they good for most of the Soarer GT V8 LTD ?? Any alternatives for us? I know they are available at huge prices from Startrade, but they are all in Japanese.
Old 01-19-03, 02:21 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Miles B,

Probably not a good idea to fraudalently copy and sell copyrighted information for profit.

MW
Old 01-19-03, 03:52 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

pcmw: yeah I know... but this sort of thing happens a lot, and I've never heard of a car company caring about people copying the manuals or fiches. Besides, they aren't even available in my country. And OK, we could have a "Lexus documentation appreciation club". Join the club for $10, and I will send you a copy of the documentation, so you can admire their excellent work. It must be returned, but you can keep it as long as you need to properly appreciate their artwork. No actual use of the manuals is to be made.

I guess that's a little closer... and if you read my post, note the words:

"til I cover my initial cost"

It would likely cost me a damn fortune in postage to get the things over here. That is the cost I would like to avoid. OK, so if Lexus provide me with the wholesale cost of these things, I would charge people the wholesale cost and send that to Lexus, plus their share of the postage at the start. My time thrown in for free. Do you think I should call Lexus and ask them to sign a licensing agreement with me? And when they say no, all the Australian people who would like a copy, who would not buy a copy from Lexus anyway, can thank you for stopping me.

Last edited by Miles B; 01-19-03 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-19-03, 04:12 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Miles,

I understand your plan, just saying that it is not a good idea. I really doubt I would stop you.

Where did you see them for $70??? Is that for the first two + electrical?

Thanks

MW
Old 01-19-03, 04:17 AM
Bentley1
Driver

Originally posted by Miles B
pcmw: yeah I know... but this sort of thing happens a lot, and I've never heard of a car company caring about people copying the manuals or fiches. Besides, they aren't even available in my country. And OK, we could have a "Lexus documentation appreciation club". Join the club for $10, and I will send you a copy of the documentation, so you can admire their excellent work. It must be returned, but you can keep it as long as you need to properly appreciate their artwork. No actual use of the manuals is to be made.

I guess that's a little closer... and if you read my post, note the words:

"til I cover my initial cost"

It would likely cost me a damn fortune in postage to get the things over here. That is the cost I would like to avoid. OK, so if Lexus provide me with the wholesale cost of these things, I would charge people the wholesale cost and send that to Lexus, plus their share of the postage at the start. My time thrown in for free. Do you think I should call Lexus and ask them to sign a licensing agreement with me? And when they say no, all the Australian people who would like a copy, who would not buy a copy from Lexus anyway, can thank you for stopping me.
I guess if you can justify this, it explains how you are able to justify sleeping with your grandma...

Besides, you will spend more time trying to beat the system, than if you just saved up the damn money and bought the manuals. Are you really THAT cheap? Jesus...
Old 01-19-03, 04:40 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

As I explained, I am happy to buy my own, and I guess I will. But I was prepared to help some people out and share them. Oh well, guess I won't.

I've never been on an auto forum before with such a bunch of up tight people as here. Normally people would be jumping over each other to help out or get something like this at lower cost. This board continually surprises me. Don't want help or info? Fine. Jees we're just talking about a couple of manuals here. And when I have plenty of other expenses, like a motec, fuel system, T72, FMIC, radiator, manifolds, dished pistons etc coming up, yeah I am not too impressed about the prospect of laying down 500+ bucks on the manuals. I thought it would be nice to help a few people over here out. Excuse me for being a nice guy. Man, you guys wouldn't fit in on any of the motorcycle boards. Over there people are grateful for a bit of help, even if, yes, it is slightly against the law. Must be something about Lexus owners. All "oh no, you must all buy your copy and never break the law!" I suppose you bought every piece of software on your PC? Never dubbed a tape? Never watched a video CD? Never watched a DivX? Don't have any MP3s?

And justifying distributing copies of a manual that is not even available in this country, and none of the people around would buy from Lexus USA, is not the same as how I justify sleeping with your grandma ( http://www.houseofdrumming.com/lady2.jpg ). She is way ugly, and that was one of my far more heinous acts.

PCMW: I didn't see them for that, I just saw someone post something about $70. And you DOUBT you would stop me? Well guess what? You have. Australian V8 Soarer owners, thank PCMW. I will guaranteed NOT distribute any copies of the manuals I buy.

Last edited by Miles B; 01-19-03 at 04:53 AM.