SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 owner new to everything.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 09:30 PM
KayGeeCee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 owner new to everything.

So my SC400 is fully stock, other than HID lights that were installed before I bought it. I was thinking of getting new wheels first, but decided I should get new coilovers instead. I was thinking Megan EZ's because, well, I'm on a tight budget especially as a college student.

I also don't have tools to install coilovers.. and don't know anyone who would help me out around here other than a mechanic my dad has been bringing his Z to.

So what does everyone think about having mechanics installing coils for you?
Old 09-24-13, 11:04 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Welcome! you've come to the right place. great community!

Tell us more about your car. year? milage? what other plans for it do you have? dont be shy =)

coilovers - It really comes down to budget and what are you going for. performace vs comfort.

Mechanic -Me personally. I would only take my car to a mechanic if I absolutly had to. I've been ripped off so many times it's not even funny. you never know if they are goanna cut-corners or use cheap parts. you don't really know if they even know what their doing,. but If you don't have the tools at home or just don't know how to do what ever you are doing then I guess you really don't have much choice. pricing is so ridiculous especially seince you own a "Lexus" . I could be here for hours with horror stories... but i'll admit i've met some mechanics that can do wonders..

If you have to take your car to a mechanic. the most important thing is to make sure they know how to work on a Lexus. just because they are ASE certified and have a "foreign and import" sign doesn't mean they really know how to work on your car. look around the shop if you can, if you see a lexus somewhere it's a good sign.

BUT in this case it's just coilovers. not too much different than any other car so you should be okay. I sure wish someone would pay me to install coilovers i'd be set for life haha.
Old 09-25-13, 06:36 AM
KayGeeCee
Driver School Candidate

My SC is 1995 with about 141xxx miles. I'm more into the stance look and I also plan on driving my SC everyday to university. My plans for the SC are lowering it, getting new wheels (Was thinking 17" -18", with a smaller offset than the stock offset) new exhaust system, and I would love to tranny swap it.. though that's more of speculation right now since I don't even know how to drive a manual LOL + tight budget.

So basically I don't want it extremely low, but low enough to give it a different look. If that makes sense.

As for the mechanic I planned on bringing it to, he seemed like a legit guy. But he specializes in nissan/datsun and has only worked on the AC in my car. He didn't over price fixing the AC in my car though. He just had one of his workers recharge my AC or something and said 'just give him 20 dollars'. Which makes me think he's not necessarily out there to overcharge people.

I'll be asking when I go there next time, which is this week.

Oh, and if there was someone out there who knew how to install coils in his garage how much would you pay him?
Old 09-25-13, 09:03 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

where in california are you?
Old 09-25-13, 09:34 AM
KayGeeCee
Driver School Candidate

I live in San diego
Old 09-25-13, 11:01 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 123 Posts

It looks like youre going for the same thing i am. Your plans are very similar to mine except i plan to do an engine swap as well

I've been looking at BC Racing coils, ive heard they are more comfortable that the megan. I was originally going to get Megan as well but ive heard people having issues with the construction, bouncing problems etc. so i decided to look for something different.

Here is a link to their product. It does cost a bit extra but if you look you could probably fine a nice set for sale somewhere.

http://www.bcracing-na.com/products/br-type/
Old 09-25-13, 01:58 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

most coilovers are adjustable all you have to do is use a tool that comes with the coilovers to lower or raise it at your prefrence. pretty easy there are tons of videos and threads about it.

sounds like a cool mechanic he could probably do your coilovers without ripping you off. nissan or not.
but when it comes to all the little differences in a lexus/toyota, if this was trasnsmission or engine work you should take it to a lexus or toyota guy for that piece of mind.

I agree with vteruni. I really like BC and plan to use them in my build but they are a step up on price compared to Megan. on a budget Megan would probably be your best bet.

you should also look into your bushings which are probably pretty bad also after you get the coilovers. I bet your mechanic could do them for you too.

quantum auto sells a kit to convert to manual. but its alot of work to get the pedal and clutch all worked out. I want a 400 so i could mess with the GM v8 guys.

any gear head could probably do your coilovers in their garage. if you were close to me i'd do it for a 6-pack but that just me haha. but $20 for each coilover should be fair imo.
Old 09-25-13, 02:18 PM
KayGeeCee
Driver School Candidate

Alright thanks for the input guys.Seriously appreciate it. Another question, me and sexcoupe were talking earlier and he had suggested getting springs and struts instead of coilovers? Any thoughts on that?
Old 09-25-13, 03:07 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

uh oh. highly debatable... before I get flammed, this is IMO.

apples and oranges.
with struts/springs you dont get the adjustability of coilovers.
struts/sprigs perform better on a non-adjustable setup.
coils are better when you have a fully adjustable setup.
with struts/springs. you get a certain ride height.
with coils you get a wide range of height.
but you can use eiter one no matter your setup.

if you get the struts/springs and you like the height and ride then your set.
if you get the coilovers and decide you want to go low on highway or a little higher on bumpy roads you have the option.

also would be cool if your mechanic has an alignment machine? u should ask.
Old 09-25-13, 04:51 PM
KayGeeCee
Driver School Candidate

So I'm assuming getting struts and springs would be a 1 time deal and you'd be stuck with your height? Unless you get different springs or something I'm guessing.

Oh and I'll be going to the mechanic tomorrow so I'll try to ask.
Old 09-25-13, 09:51 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

yea most of them the bottom spring perch that hold the spring are fixed. the ride height is mostly in the springs.

on a coilover the body is threaded and on the bottom of of the spring perch is a nut that can go up or down by rotating the nut with the special tool.

maybe some pics of you SC? some before and afters would be pretty sweet.

Last edited by SCstone; 09-25-13 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 11:08 PM
KayGeeCee
Driver School Candidate

Did more research and stuff, thinking of going for Tein Basis coils.

Also here's a photo of my SC:

I'm an idiot and slightly bumped the wall at uni so right now there's a tiny dent on it..

No clue what kind of black it is or whatever.
Old 09-26-13, 12:17 AM
SCstone
Pole Position

awesome! all this talk about lowering it. good to know what it looks like. haha
where is the dent? the paint looks great! gold package too! and what a fancy driveway someones in cali.
on the inside drivers side door and it will have the color code either on a sticker by itself or on the toyota motor co. sticker. next to C/TR: might be same as mine. 202 black onyx.

Tein is good. I had a set on a Honda Del Sol I had ages ago. unfortunately everything else suspension-wise was a mess on it. the previous owner drove it like a ricer.

heres a pic of them. notice the nut i was talking about earlier that rotates.

Last edited by SCstone; 09-26-13 at 12:19 AM. Reason: added pic of tein coils
Old 09-26-13, 07:35 AM
KayGeeCee
Driver School Candidate

The dent is on the front, can barely notice it unless youre right next to it so im not too worried about it. The previous owner had it repainted so that was a plus when I bought this car.
Also found that my friend from elementary school now drives an '88 celica, said he'd install coils for me for fifty bucks. so now its just waiting to get more money. I also found basis coils on ebay. anyone here buy off ebay and had no probs? also found cheap teins on redline360. Anyone here have probs with those guys too?

Last edited by KayGeeCee; 09-26-13 at 08:14 AM.