SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1GS totaled, picked up 95 SC400.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 10:08 PM
Sylexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1GS totaled, picked up 95 SC400.

As title says my 1993 GS300 was totaled on the 30th of August, and this week I picked up a 1995 SC400 with 201,000 miles for $1,800. $200 less than what I paid for my GS. Gotta love full coverage insurance! Midnight Indigo Pearl.

So far i've replaced the rotors and pads, next I plan on tackling that noisy power steering pump when the engine is cold. If anyone knows of common issues with the 400, let me know so I can try to tackle them before I work on cosmetics.

What I've found so far is rusted tailight harness where the bulb plugs into the harness, the driver side window doesn't go down, but the motor works, noisy power steering pump as I mentioned before, kind of metallic noise coming from the transmission kind of area I think.

Last edited by Sylexus; 09-28-13 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 11:06 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome and congrats,
noisy Ps on my car means im low on fluid, check if your ps is leaking, and your window regulator clip broke, you'll need a new regulator. and what do you mean metallic noise? I get noises from that area because my tranny and motor mount were shot.
Old 09-28-13, 11:33 PM
Sylexus
Driver

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
What do you mean metallic noise? I get noises from that area because my tranny and motor mount were shot.
I have been looking around myself online and I think that it's mounts as well. The sound sounds kind of like a rattling can. It isn't always there. Just sometimes.

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
Noisy PS on my car means i'm low on fluid, check if your PS is leaking
The PS is only noisy when the vehicle is cold, once it gets warm it stops making the sound. I filled up the reservoir yesterday because it was low, but still makes the noise when cold. I have not noticed any leaks yet.
Old 09-29-13, 12:28 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only PS fluid that hasnt made my car make noise was Lucas stop leak ps fluid, I haven't tried OEM fluid yet though. But thats what i use, it helps, and if its actually a rattling noise check your bushings in your control arms or maybe your shocks are done.
Old 09-29-13, 04:22 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

its the same noise my car has, it could be a belt. im not sure though.
Old 09-29-13, 06:34 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

that 'rattle can' sound is the heat shield on the exhaust pipe, they get loose over time , literally a 5 minute job , just tighten it up with a clamp.
Old 09-29-13, 07:28 AM
SportC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To start I would remove the reservoir and thoroughly clean it with degreaser. There's a screen in the reservoir that gets clogged up over time and messes up the flow of the power steering system. There's also a solenoid filter that gets gunked up underneath the car but I would just start with the reservoir and see if that stops the whining then check for leaks. If you don't spot any leaks flush system with Toyota TIV ATF. It's what is recommended and when I bought mine it was only $4.25 a quart at a local Toyota dealer. Also if it's leaking from the pump fix it asap as it will take your alternator out which is directly below. Good Luck!
Old 09-29-13, 07:32 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SportC400
To start I would remove the reservoir and thoroughly clean it with degreaser. There's a screen in the reservoir that gets clogged up over time and messes up the flow of the power steering system. There's also a solenoid filter that gets gunked up underneath the car but I would just start with the reservoir and see if that stops the whining then check for leaks. If you don't spot any leaks flush system with Toyota TIV ATF. It's what is recommended and when I bought mine it was only $4.25 a quart at a local Toyota dealer. Also if it's leaking from the pump fix it asap as it will take your alternator out which is directly below. Good Luck!
the dealers fluids are cheaper then most of the other brands and yet, its better.
Old 09-29-13, 06:47 PM
aragundicm
Driver School Candidate

There's also a solenoid filter that gets gunked up underneath the car but I would just start with the reservoir and see if that stops the whining then check for leaks.
Old 09-29-13, 07:35 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aragundicm
There's also a solenoid filter that gets gunked up underneath the car but I would just start with the reservoir and see if that stops the whining then check for leaks.
the picture wont open, what solenoid are you talking about?
Old 09-29-13, 08:23 PM
SportC400
Rookie

It's some sort of sensor screen filter underneath the car connected to the rack near the passenger side. I read you must drop the rack a little to get to it that's why I would start with cleaning the screen in the reservoir. Although this thread covers a range of power steering areas it helped me when my pump was whining. I ended up just thoroughly flushing the system with TIV and cleaning the reservoir filter so I got out pretty easy. Good Luck

Power steering whine Club Lexus thread link - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...e-whining.html
Old 11-14-13, 10:50 PM
Sylexus
Driver

Small update for where I am currently sitting. Progress with her is very slow, bankroll is almost non-existent.

Anyways here is what I've started doing.

Both upper door garnish trims were cracked right down the middle and superglued by the PO of the car. So I picked up a pair from a member here on CL.

Here you can see I also replaced the driver side A-pillar since the old one was torn at the handle and constantly falling down. Has some glue like residue on it due to a previous owner, I've used goo gone on it with no luck, any ideas?

Also replaced the shifter trim with another I bought off a member on CL.

to

It's night and day!

I have a set of Tanabe DF210s left over from when my 1GS was totaled, holding on to them until I can get some 1GS shocks.

Don't mind the air mattress.

My old GS.

The last I saw of her.

I've learned my lesson to grab EVERYTHING I can off the car if it looks to be totaled. 2 week prior to the crash I spent 200 on JDM vent visors and also lost my entire stereo system.

So far I LOVE the SC. My favorite car to date. I cannot wait to be able to invest more time and money into her.
Old 11-23-13, 04:14 PM
Sylexus
Driver

Today I replaced my front rotors and pads, new alternator and powersteering hoses as well as a new battery. She feels like she has SO much more get up and go. Makes me wonder if my failing alternator was affecting her performance. She feels like a champion now.

I replaced my brake light switch as it was out, but my auto shifter is still stuck in park unless I do the bypass. Any ideas? Going to take apart the console tomorrow to have a look around.

Last edited by Sylexus; 11-23-13 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-23-13, 08:24 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Nice pick up bro
Old 11-24-13, 06:46 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

nice, i love modern builds, i just did my plugs,wires and valve cover gaskets. next is the water pump and starter.

good luck!

Quick Reply: 1GS totaled, picked up 95 SC400.