SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Drill holes in wood trim on dash for gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 01:32 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Drill holes in wood trim on dash for gauges?

Has anyone drilled 2" holes into the wood trim on the dashboard for gauge install? I am trying to get some tips so I don't mess this up. I am trying to avoid cracking in the process of drilling the holes with a 2" hole saw.
Old 11-08-13, 06:28 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you thought about that area where the cig lighter/ ash tray is
maybe do a little fiberglass and have them mount in there. that would look sharp.
I think I have seen that on someones car here, but I forget whose
Old 11-08-13, 06:31 AM
1slowsc
Driver

previous owner of my car had 3 gauges on wood trim. But removed it and put them in glove box.
Old 11-08-13, 10:05 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Lol @ drilling holes in the wood. What would be cool as frank though would be to have a wood worker carve some nice wooden pods that would fit in place of the stock flat piece.

Think I might do that.
That would be a good idea, but it would be difficult and expensive to find and make. I wonder if a standard A-pillar gauge pillar would work? Hmmm

Originally Posted by mecheng10
have you thought about that area where the cig lighter/ ash tray is
maybe do a little fiberglass and have them mount in there. that would look sharp.
I think I have seen that on someones car here, but I forget whose
Originally Posted by 1slowsc
previous owner of my car had 3 gauges on wood trim. But removed it and put them in glove box.
I don't want to hinder the usage of my glove box or ash tray by placing gauges there, that's why I picked the wood trim as an excellent spot since it's usable space and can still be viewed from the driver seat.

1slowsc, did you notice any cracks in the wood as a result from the holes being drilled?
Old 11-08-13, 01:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would tape it off with a masking tape before drilling it to keep the edges from cracking and make sure you have the centering bit. also I would do it on a spare piece
Old 11-08-13, 06:38 PM
GordonDET
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember way back when I worked at a car stereo shop, we would start the cut (in vinyl or leather) with the hole saw bit in reverse (after taping of course) to make the initial cut. That way it kinda scored a line through the material instead of the teeth ripping the line/ cut through it. Made for a cleaner cut.
Old 11-09-13, 08:58 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I would tape it off with a masking tape before drilling it to keep the edges from cracking and make sure you have the centering bit. also I would do it on a spare piece
Originally Posted by GordonDET
I remember way back when I worked at a car stereo shop, we would start the cut (in vinyl or leather) with the hole saw bit in reverse (after taping of course) to make the initial cut. That way it kinda scored a line through the material instead of the teeth ripping the line/ cut through it. Made for a cleaner cut.
Great tips, I will try these out! I will post pictures of results when I get this job done.
Old 11-10-13, 04:59 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luxor
Has anyone drilled 2" holes into the wood trim on the dashboard for gauge install? I am trying to get some tips so I don't mess this up. I am trying to avoid cracking in the process of drilling the holes with a 2" hole saw.
stealing my idea eh? lol jk. i wanted to delete the vents and put gages instead but everyone thinks its a dumb idea
Old 01-06-14, 03:37 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Here is an update. I installed the gauge and it went ok. Drilling was fine, but when I used the dremel to make the hole slightly bigger it chipped the wood. I also had to drill two 1/4" holes behind the hole to make room for the mounting screws.
Attached Thumbnails Drill holes in wood trim on dash for gauges?-sc300dashgauge.jpg   Drill holes in wood trim on dash for gauges?-sc300dashgauge2.jpg   Drill holes in wood trim on dash for gauges?-sc300dashgauge3.jpg   Drill holes in wood trim on dash for gauges?-sc300dashgauge4.jpg   Drill holes in wood trim on dash for gauges?-sc300dashgauge5.jpg  

Old 01-06-14, 04:30 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a thread where someone put three gauges in there. They also angled them towards the driver for better viewing. I would have used the advanced auto parts A pillar mod. That's what I did. No eyes off of the road for anything. A quick glance.... The mod looks good and how many do you plan on having in the there?
Old 01-07-14, 07:19 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
how many do you plan on having in the there?
I only plan on putting one more gauge next to existing one, a third one will be too far for viewing.
Old 01-07-14, 07:47 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Which two are you using? A/R and oil pressure?
Old 01-07-14, 11:09 AM
ilovett76
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it looks pretty damn good. Nice work, and brave oi you to do it while in the car! I'm impressed.

1JZPWRD, what is the Advanced Auto Parts A-Pillar mod that you are referencing? I, too, have been trying to figure out where to put extra gauges without ruining the interior. I thought of the ashtray but I don't think it is big enough. It would also concern me that I would have to look down while driving. I think there will be two or three gauges that I will want to add. If you have pics of your A-pillar, I'd love to see them.

Thanks for any advice or help.
Old 01-07-14, 11:34 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Ask and ye shall receive. You have to trim the outer bottom lip maybe four inches for it to clear the door. You also might want to trim the outer side of the pillar also all the way down maybe an 1/2 inch. It's no big deal. I chose this method cause why ruin the woodgrain or have to open the console or cup holder every time you want to monitor something. This is my opinion.

Old 01-07-14, 11:35 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I also used some black screw caps to hold it in place. Looks kinda oem.. lol

Quick Reply: Drill holes in wood trim on dash for gauges?