SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92sc300 5sp ~240km might have unreported damage, should i walk away?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13 | 08:12 PM
lsc4
Driver School Candidate

Default 92sc300 5sp ~240km might have unreported damage, should i walk away?

hello

Don't think i have ever posted so here goes

I just saw an 1992 sc300 5sp at a used car lot available for 4k+tax. sc300 are rare around here, and have never seen a 5sp sc300 in two years looking,and maybe max 2 sc300 on craiglist in the area. I've only seen the car in the dark but two panels have a gap. Carfax shown is clean but i don't put alot of faith in that.

So the question is given the rarity of these cars possibly a reasonable price and likely unreported damage. Should i spend the 200 to take it to my mechanic to find out more or should i walk away?
If the cars were easy to find I would walk away without a second thought.

Details
US import from Colorado, been in Canada since 05
~240km
black on beige
cosmetic seemed ok, inside and out (1/4 inch puncture on driver seat, and back has a seam going at the top of about 6 inches), minimal cracking in leather. Paint looked fine (but it was dark, one chip on back bumper) no body damage that I saw.

The big issue is the that edge of the hood at the top corner on the drivers side doesn't line up with the quarter panel by about an 1/4 inch. Other side is perfect. hood didn't stay up on its own, might have just been pistons though and wasn't jerky when it slowly closed and rest of seams lined up. Other wise hood seems to open and close fine, but didn't really inspect much as it was dark and i didn't have a lot of time.

here is a picture of my car with the area highlighted (note this car doesn't have the issue)
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails 92sc300 5sp ~240km  might have unreported damage, should i walk away?-area.jpg  
Old 11-07-13 | 09:26 PM
RWDorGTFO
Rookie

Go back and get a better look. Nothing you said would keep me away from it. Plus at a lot 4k isn't a bad asking price at all
Old 11-08-13 | 05:35 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

usually if there is damage neither side lines up well. but yours is only on the one side.
maybe they shut the hood on a tool or something and bent the hood out of shape a little bit. ive done that before on my DD a Honda prelude, and it looks exactly like that.
Old 11-08-13 | 06:20 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Because the lights are all aftermarket, a front end collision is more likely to have happened at some point. Still, if the structure is straight and only minor panel damage occurred, from end impacts don't bother me so much. What I hate are rear quarter impacts. You can unbolt hoods, bumpers, and fenders, but quarter panel damage means welding and body filler are the only options. These cars are getting so old, finding one with zero history of damage can be very difficult!
Old 11-08-13 | 06:42 AM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Because the lights are all aftermarket, a front end collision is more likely to have happened at some point. Still, if the structure is straight and only minor panel damage occurred, from end impacts don't bother me so much. What I hate are rear quarter impacts. You can unbolt hoods, bumpers, and fenders, but quarter panel damage means welding and body filler are the only options. These cars are getting so old, finding one with zero history of damage can be very difficult!
^^^^well said, and so true!
Old 11-08-13 | 11:17 AM
Lead Lap

Wait why aren't you buying a soarer since you are in canada?
Old 11-08-13 | 12:42 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

I saw this car for sale on craigslist and I was also surprised at seeing a sc300 in Canada, not to mention a 5spd.

My advice would be to import something from the US. Seattle and especially Cali has so many more options for that same price range. Having said that I get all my SC's from the US and its not a complex/drawn-out process for me anymore, not sure whether you're willing to go through the same process.
Old 11-08-13 | 12:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by stockhatch
exactly this, a huge indicator I would suspect the same thing.
open the hood and check the top of each fender for the vin number sticker. a replaced one will not have it unless done by toyota/lexus. also look for new paint on that side, whether its in the finish, or something just out of place on that side so check side to side like certain bolts they paint over from factory on the fender and they will age different, check both sides. also if the front end around the lights and everything is lining up well, it probably wasn't that bad and in that case I would also check behind the wheels on that side for a control arm that looks out of place or has junkyard writing on it. if everything looks original, it could be a simple panel alignment issue or just the fender took some damage and was replaced.

If it has been fixed right and was just mostly the fender its not a deal breaker for me, but I agree I would just buy a soarer if I was you =)
Old 11-10-13 | 12:12 AM
lsc4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your replies, took the plunge and bought it. Bone stock sc300 5sp. HUGE difference to driving my 92 sc400. ppl seem to like to see picks here, so will snap a couple tomorrow to post .
Old 11-10-13 | 12:53 AM
lsc4
Driver School Candidate

here are the CL pics, they conveniently dont show the damage (seats and panels)....might have a paint issue to took a risk there will keep you posted. otherwise appears well maintained.
Attached Thumbnails 92sc300 5sp ~240km  might have unreported damage, should i walk away?-92sc400.jpg   92sc300 5sp ~240km  might have unreported damage, should i walk away?-92sc400-2.jpg   92sc300 5sp ~240km  might have unreported damage, should i walk away?-92sc400-3.jpg  

Last edited by lsc4; 11-10-13 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-10-13 | 04:22 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Well did you get underneath and look at the frame? That would tell a lot more then anything else. From the looks of it, it's probably just a minor fender bender that got a new fender resprayed and bolted back on, and isn't lined up 100% correct. Also these cars are old, my 92, the door started sagging and rubbing the fender, so I had to get two guys to He-Man strength it back into position while one bolted it back down correctly. IMO if the frame isn't damaged and it drives smooth, go for it.

Tell the guy $3500 including tax right now and you'll take it. Bring up all your concerns and issues, and mention the head lights arent clear, the punctured leather seat, any scratches or scrapes, etc.... Look at recent Lexus Dealership history and see if any maintenance has been done, and if not tell them you did the history check and saw that it needs a full tune up, or timing belt, etc... There's always wiggle room for you. He's asking $4000...he'll take less.
Old 11-10-13 | 11:21 AM
lsc4
Driver School Candidate

Here is a pic of the panel gap and the other side.

Sorry don't know how to respond with quotes on my phone will try later
Attached Thumbnails 92sc300 5sp ~240km  might have unreported damage, should i walk away?-image-365130193.jpg   92sc300 5sp ~240km  might have unreported damage, should i walk away?-image-1502294925.jpg  
Old 11-10-13 | 04:01 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

i agree with 'biddles', i work at a dealership, theres ALWAYS wiggle room, or at least some incentives.
Old 11-10-13 | 05:54 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

How do you mean driving it is so different than your SC400?
There's a '95 5-speed SC300 on craigslist here (Denver) for $4500 obo, with 132K on the clock! It has a salvage title, and the owner says the interior is rough, but that sounds pretty tempting.
Old 11-11-13 | 10:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

could be the hood that needs the alignment, hard to tell from pics.

Quick Reply: 92sc300 5sp ~240km might have unreported damage, should i walk away?