SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Assistance on possible SC400 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 03:16 PM
sparkyguy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Assistance on possible SC400 purchase

I'm considering a '93 SC400 purchase with 106k miles on ticker. Timing belt was originally replaced at 57k and is probably due to for another swap (I'm assuming they are a 60k interval vehicle). Car is in GREAT shape otherwise. Engine sounds as tight as new, smooth as silk with no obvious drive-train noises. It has a small drip in center-front of engine from water-pump (I couldn't get a really good look under car to be certain of source). In any case, the drip is definitely anti-freeze. Specifically, I'm concerned about the costs for upcoming "known", routine, maintenance items vs purchase cost of car. I'm not too concerned about stuff like brake pads, exhaust, suspension components and the like. I'm more concerned about big-ticket engine routine service. Asking price is $4.9k and I'm assuming I can chew them down to maybe $4.5k. I've read some posts that seem to say that other maintenance should be considered at the time of TB change, such as water pump replacement and cam seals. Yes? No? Maybe so? If so, what might "reasonably typical" costs run if done by a professional mechanic? I've changed several timing belts and rebuilt my share of engines in my home garage, but the V8 in the SC has me a 'tad bit concerned. Anything especially difficult or expensive? Having a mechanic replace the TB might be a financial deal-breaker to my purchase consideration. Any comments from long-time Lexus owners would be greatly appreciated. Considering it's shape, I don't think the vehicle will be available for long. I've owned a half-dozen Toyota's, but I don't know any other Lexus owners to ask, which is why I'm turning to this forum. Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions or opinions.,
Old 11-30-13, 09:07 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 120K Maintenance is what you're referring to, this thread will give you a good ballpark estimate.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...expensive.html

There is a website called AutoMD which gives very accurate cost estimates, and time estimates for the repairs. I'd suggest putting the car in there to help you decide on whether you want to take on the task of doing the work yourself or not. You'll save a lot of money doing it yourself of course, as the parts only come out to about $300, it's the labor that kills your pockets.

At the price they're asking I would try to get it down to $4K flat especially considering it has a leak... It's hard to judge it's worth without seeing it though.

Here's a site for the 1UZ engine and a slew of repair tutorias, highly recommend checking this out, it will make you feel more confident working on the car yourself. This is the LS400 model, but I'm pretty sure the repairs are identical. Here's the Timing Belt Tutorial with pics for you.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html
Old 11-30-13, 09:55 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the reason you want sc400? If you go with 99 you will get 290hp. If you get sc300 you can swap an engine and add bigger turbos.
Old 11-30-13, 11:56 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure its up on its maintenance. The 4.5k will double itself in a hurry if you are taking it in for service frequently. Personally I wouldn't pay 4.anyK for a leaking 20 year old car. When problems arise on these cars, it quickly becomes a snowball effect(ie a car leaking coolant may have overheated...not the best thing for aluminum heads)

Last edited by 2jznosht; 12-01-13 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-30-13, 11:58 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and to answer your question, yes, I would have as much maintenance done as I could afford if I was going the mechanic route

Last edited by 2jznosht; 12-01-13 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-01-13, 07:00 AM
SportC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures of the interior/exterior could just us more of an idea of the value. Make sure you know exactly where the water leak is coming from and what needs to be done to fix it. Also thoroughly check the power steering pump as that is a common problem with these cars it will start to leak then take out the alternator directly below it..
Old 12-01-13, 07:09 AM
xshurikx
Driver

the milage seems low, on a 400 the timing belt job usually consists of seals and shafts and pulleys...arond 600-800 bucks. if the overall conditional is very good, it might be worth a premium but not 4.9k or even 4.5 my freind bought a 94 sc400 with 99k for 3.5k and it needed nothing but maintenance (timing)

and his interior is immaculate.
as far as brakes go barring any problems with calipers it all depends on how much you want to spend. my sc300 cost me for slotted premium front and slotted regular read from R1 concepts with extended wear pads around $300 or so. did the job myself. on a sc400 its a little more because the brakes are bigger. and if you want slotted and drilled, drilled, or just regular and premium or not.

but yes maintenance maintenance maintenance. you keep it maintained and it will run forever.

BTW 92-95 OBDI no emmisions inspection just safety
96 and up OBDII must pass emmisions so a check engine can be an issue with inspections