SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

95 with 99 tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 01:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

must have been very picky, I got an overall pass in virginia without the bulb in the cluster and without a working cel. they did inspect to make sure every bulb turned on and I had to actually put bulbs in the fogs as I had them out for HID's, that was pretty annoying at the time.

I think now I will take off the lamp failure unit and figure out how to mod it. likely just have to change around the value of some of the components, and if someone has a 97 unit they can take pics of, would cut down the experimenting alot.

If you don't want to take the bulb out, you can also stop the light with this mod, but don't do the cutting and reattaching of wires just remove that pin/wire from its connector and reinsert and it will do the same thing.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...re-module.html

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-27-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 01:41 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few inspection shops in Virginia are very strict as they're trying to make a buck off of everything. I typically make my car look as stock as possible, exterior bulbs working, cleaned up with fresh brake pads, etc... but last year I was dumb and brought it to the inspection line ricer slammed with a few problems. They gave me the rolled eyes look and started to get nit picky about everything. Mine is due in March and I always get nervous about it.
Old 01-27-14, 03:24 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I did this mod this afternoon. Took me almost twenty minutes to get that little sucker out. I have so many wires in there it is unbelievable. The alarm, three gauges, wires to relays.....

After I did this using the capacitor mod, my blinker are slower, very, very close to OEM. I am very pleased with it. The flashers on the other hand are a lot slower, maybe a full second or so in between the flashing. I don't ever use them. Watch me after this install, I have to use them tomorrow. I also have removed my bulb in the cluster before I even did this.

Anyway posting my results.

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 01-30-14 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 10:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Tabaka, to get it working 100% again the easiest is changing the tail lamp failure unit for a 97+ one.

next is installing 2 extra bulbs in the circuit or if you have the wires for your old tail lights you can try and use those and it will already be wired for the right amount of lights. extend the wires for the extra lights somewhere out of view or where you want them, they will come on with the brakes.

or you can use resistors with the heat sinks attached (get online) that act like a light bulb and mount them on metal in the trunk (they get a bit toasty) and then the bulb will work like stock again.

or if its really temporary I saw these super bright brake lights in the store, that had twice the rating of a normal brake light. maybe it will be enough resistance to make it looks like 2 bulbs to the unit, I was tempted to try it but decided not to long term because I didn't want to possibly melt any lenses in the tail light as those higher rated bulbs usually get hotter, but it may be a good temporary measure to get through a check.
Old 01-30-14, 07:33 AM
1slo2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Nebraska. I dont have to get inspected. I have the cats out and some other **** and never have to worry about it. Now I have a cabin in colorado I go to a few times a year. i am slightly worried if i get pulled over in Colorado that they might ticket me for the cat delete. Can they do this since I am from Nebraska?
Old 01-30-14, 10:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

If you don't have a cat at all you can get a ticket anywhere because its a federal law for cars after a certain year to have a catalytic converter. Just because your county does not test does not mean that it is legal to remove all emissions equipment and drive all around the country. you are right though you will be more likely to be caught in a emisisons testing county and the fine is a hefty one usually a few grand+.

I would run a $80 magnaflow high flow 3" cat on the midpipe (which I do), its not hard to get installed or expensive to replace and when someone pops their head down there you are good to go.
Old 01-30-14, 12:14 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
A few inspection shops in Virginia are very strict as they're trying to make a buck off of everything. I typically make my car look as stock as possible, exterior bulbs working, cleaned up with fresh brake pads, etc... but last year I was dumb and brought it to the inspection line ricer slammed with a few problems. They gave me the rolled eyes look and started to get nit picky about everything. Mine is due in March and I always get nervous about it.
The one benefit of living in VA vs. ATL where I now live is that VA doesn't link inspections to their DMV and registration requirements. I just moved to ATL in November, but I hadn't had my SC legitimately inspected for probably four or five years.

Just "know a guy" or get a good sticker from a friend's car and pay to have their car re-inspected.

Here in ATL though, you can't renew registration without successfully completing your county's emissions requirements.
Old 01-30-14, 04:52 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lamp Failure until for 97-00 will help you. I'll look for the part number for you. Yet again. 95-96 is the easiest years to convert to a Fake 97+

Last edited by Tret; 01-30-14 at 07:04 PM.