SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Trac lights come on after 5 minutes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 10:01 AM
BriMcc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac lights come on after 5 minutes?

My trac light comes on after 5 minutes of driving. After I shut the car off and restart the light is out - for a few minutes. I have searched the topic, many threads, but no answer. Any ideas? My local mechanic doesn't know the problem!
Old 01-31-03, 12:18 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may have to take a trip to the dealer so they can run a diagnostic - the ecu should be storing a fault code when it lights the light.

OR...check it yourself if you're so inclined...

I have a '93, and the manual says to turn the ignition to ON, then connect terminals Tc and E1 at either diagnostic plug, and the TRAC light should blink - count the blinks and watch for a pause - for instance, if you see 4 blinks, pause, 7 blinks, it is code 47.

Then clear the stored fault code by leaving the jumper in the diagnostic plug and pressing the brake pedal 8 or more times in 3 seconds. The TRAC light should show the "normal" code, a steady on-off blink with each on and off cycle 1/4 of a second long.

Now take the jumper out and drive the car until the light comes on, then run the diagnostic again to verify that the same fault code comes up again.

Then post the fault code here and I will look it up in the manual. Keep in mind that my manual is for a '93, not a '92, but the system is most likely the same since there were very few changes in the first 2 years the car was imported to North America.

btw, I assume it is the TRAC light that is coming on, not the TRAC OFF light. That's important, so let me know...

Last edited by strongsail; 01-31-03 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-31-03, 12:38 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

presently i have the same exact problem.i had the dealer and my mechanic do a diagnostic on it and found that due to the nature of the code stored in memory which was basically .....the trac system was losing pressure (the abs system,specifically).when i looked under the hood,i see a hose that leads from the accumulator(in front of the master cylinder) to a part on the braking system.from what i was told this is a common problem on our cars/the hose leaks just enough to let air into the system, which triggers the trac motor into a fault. look for leaks on the side of the engine where the master cylinder is,or even a slight wet spot on the hose itself. i haven't replaced the hose yet but,the part number is #90947-06006 average price is $50-$60. good luk!........i'll try to take a pic of the area in question....
Old 01-31-03, 12:49 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Thanks guys. I am going to pick my car up from the garage shortly. I'll ask them if they looked at these faults and let you know.
Old 01-31-03, 02:32 PM
BriMcc
Driver

My codes are 43 and 51. My power steering pump has been getting noisy, is this revelent?
Old 01-31-03, 10:08 PM
strongsail
Instructor

So, which light is coming on?

The TRAC light or the TRAC OFF light?

The PS pump has nothing to do with ABS or TRAC.

Last edited by strongsail; 01-31-03 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-01-03, 03:54 AM
BriMcc
Driver

trac
Old 02-01-03, 03:12 PM
LEXO-400
Rookie

Trac-off for me and the Trac, however when i push my Trac-off buton it doesnt do anything, whats up?
Old 02-01-03, 11:43 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

keep driving the car after about 100 miles the light should go off...i had the same problem...and someone suggested that i do the same...it worked for me it might work for you!
Old 02-02-03, 04:27 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Both of those codes require checking the engine and ABS ecu's as well, to see if they are storing codes.

This troubleshooting process gets pretty complex (the section on the TRAC system in the manual is 51 pages long) and must follow an 11-point process just to get past step one. I don't think we're gonna get it figured out in this thread.

A trained tech with manual in hand is probably gonna be needed. If it involves replacing ECU's, those items are expensive and not returnable, so proper diagnosis at dealer prices may be the cheapest way to go, unless you have the manual in front of you, have the right tools and knowledge, and the patience needed to follow the procedures.

I can't attempt to solve the problem here, since if I'm wrong I don't want a pm from your lawyer

Last edited by strongsail; 02-02-03 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-03-03, 04:12 AM
BriMcc
Driver

Thanks. I'll go to the dealer.
Old 02-04-03, 07:40 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BriMcc
Thanks. I'll go to the dealer.
I thought you already bought the CD manual last year when you have the O2 sensor problem? If you have the manual, you can check it yourself. Once you read up the manual, it is pretty simple to pull the trouble codes.
Old 03-09-03, 09:24 AM
DA51
Driver

Default CD Manual copy

I just purchased one of those CD manuals off ebay and the section for TRAC is missing. Only the section for the ABS has any mention of TRAC. Now I wish I would have spent the extra $$ for an actual bound manual.
I'm experiencing the TRAC light on problem, too. The brake fluid is dark. I will do the flush, then codes, then dealer.
David
92 SC400
Old 03-09-03, 03:28 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Now engine light and trac off lights are on, but the trac light is off. Last time this happened it was 02 sensors. Looks like it's back to the dealer 100 miles away.
Old 03-09-03, 04:38 PM
DA51
Driver

Default TRAC Code #43

I've just pulled out two codes off the ABS/TRAC ECU. The ABS code is #54. I have the description for this code problem. But the other code is for TRAC system and it is #43. I don't know what error(s) this involves.
Can anyone help me out? Presently, I am draining 11 year old brake fluid from my car. I haven't found any brake fluid leaks, either.

Quick Reply: Trac lights come on after 5 minutes?