SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has anyone retained cruise w/ aftermarket wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 09:16 PM
babowc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone retained cruise w/ aftermarket wheel?

I was googling this and didn't come up with much. I've seen some RX7 guys mount their switches elswhere, but since our's is a stalk, I couldn't find a way to mount it...

Has anyone attempted retaining the CC with an aftermarket wheel?
Old 02-12-14, 06:29 PM
babowc
Driver

Anyone?
msglength
Old 02-13-14, 07:24 PM
soaringlex
Driver School Candidate

Theoretically you could take everything apart and mount it elsewhere. Would just be a tedious project, most people that run aftermarket steering wheels don't care.
Old 02-13-14, 08:50 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,239 Likes on 866 Posts

I have retained my factory cruise control stalk by bolting it into my MR2 leather steering wheel (same as IS300 with minor cosmetic differences) by:

1) CAREFULLY measuring out the area to allow it to protrude, creating a template form with painters tape and cutting the plastic cover with a Dremel. Have to measure several times and cut ONCE to get this right. Toyota doesn't sell extra covers.

2) Tapping out the predrilled holes on the metal part of the steering wheel where the IS300/MR2/XRS/etc cruise stalk would go. Only one of the screws will go in but the part will be stabilized. You'll understand when you try it.

In short... if you want to do this in the least painful way, find a way to re-mount your existing cruise control stalk. If you do it with a Toyota three-spoke wheel such as one described above, it will look factory to all unless you scrutinize it right up close.

More importantly... it just works.
Old 02-14-14, 10:40 PM
Elroy19
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the factory stalk apart, and simply mounted the circuit board inside the boss kit, and figured out which contacts of the circuit board did what, and connected 2 micro DPDT momentary toggle switches in the side of the boss kit.

Now the left toggle up is Cruise on/off (replaces pushing the end button on the OEM stalk), down is Cancel (replaces pulling back on the OEM stalk), the right toggle does Accel & Decel/Set & Coast up and down the same as pushing the OEM stalk up or down.

Nice little toggles are stealth, while still being reachable without taking hands off the wheel. Just gotta do the cruise de-limit mod so it's actually usable on faster freeways.

Old 02-16-14, 11:45 AM
babowc
Driver

Originally Posted by Elroy19
I pulled the factory stalk apart, and simply mounted the circuit board inside the boss kit, and figured out which contacts of the circuit board did what, and connected 2 micro DPDT momentary toggle switches in the side of the boss kit.

Now the left toggle up is Cruise on/off (replaces pushing the end button on the OEM stalk), down is Cancel (replaces pulling back on the OEM stalk), the right toggle does Accel & Decel/Set & Coast up and down the same as pushing the OEM stalk up or down.

Nice little toggles are stealth, while still being reachable without taking hands off the wheel. Just gotta do the cruise de-limit mod so it's actually usable on faster freeways.
That is genius!!
Old 02-16-14, 02:16 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

i'm totally doing that!!! where did u get that wheel btw?
Old 02-16-14, 06:53 PM
Jfarabee70
Driver School Candidate

I have, moved the switch to the column cover it on my instagram jfarabee702
Old 02-16-14, 08:18 PM
Jfarabee70
Driver School Candidate

Old 02-17-14, 02:31 AM
Elroy19
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried mocking up the stock switch to the column cover & had no room in the boss kit, but I never liked the look of it anyway. I even looked at the HKS boss with buttons on top. I had these toggles lying around for another project, some playing around and it came out better than expected. Stealth and fully functional.

The steering wheel I had lying around, was a cheap SAAS wheel I bought on special for $49. I like the feel of it, and was better than my stock Soarer wheel in feel and condition. Looking for a nicer wheel, but can't find any I like without the yellow strip at the top for "drifting". The Toyota horn button came with the cheap eBay boss kit.

I've currently got the accel/decel (right toggle) upside down, so when I pull it apart again, I'll take some more pics showing the wiring.

Last edited by Elroy19; 02-17-14 at 02:36 AM.