SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

what is the best/cleanest way to wire in different devices

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 07:57 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best/cleanest way to wire in different devices

When i purchased my car it had turbo timer, speed cut defender, and boost gauge problem is wires are everywhere and just look sloppy. Well im putting in new engine along with adding in a few more devices, wideband, safc, and a new boost gauge, my problem is how can i clean this up and wire all of these things in without burning my car up with an electrical fire lol....some devices require power to be pulled from kick panel fuse box what kind of plugs can i use to go in with the fuse instead of just wrapping piece of wire around the fuse and shoving it in?.....also a little of subject, where can i get the white power clip that connects to the back of the cig lighter? My lighter has zero power to it even when i pull power directly from 15a fuse slot idk what else to do besides buy a whole new cig setup.
Old 02-13-14, 08:10 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You should be able to get a used lighter connection really cheap. I think even Radio shack sells them. I bought a new lighter outlet with 2 usb's from WalMart the other day. I got tired of not being able to charge my ipod in the car. The lighter output was used for the GPS. I mounted it just by the right knee on the plastick underneath panel. You can hardly see it, but works great. If you have several things that need to be wired, I would suggest using a distrubution block, utilizing either 4 or 8 gauge from the battery. Then run the correct wiring to the appropriate gauges. Just because you use this larger size from the block, doesnt mean you need to use the same size wiring on the output. Just use the correct barrel or blade style fuse. For gauges, I would use maybe a 10 amp, nothing bigger. Read the owners manual and use the correct size for each piece you are wanting to wire in. This should get you started. If you go through the firewall, then make sure you get the rubber/plastic pieces that slides over the wire/flex loom to seal the hole up completely.
Old 02-13-14, 02:49 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
You should be able to get a used lighter connection really cheap. I think even Radio shack sells them. I bought a new lighter outlet with 2 usb's from WalMart the other day. I got tired of not being able to charge my ipod in the car. The lighter output was used for the GPS. I mounted it just by the right knee on the plastick underneath panel. You can hardly see it, but works great. If you have several things that need to be wired, I would suggest using a distrubution block, utilizing either 4 or 8 gauge from the battery. Then run the correct wiring to the appropriate gauges. Just because you use this larger size from the block, doesnt mean you need to use the same size wiring on the output. Just use the correct barrel or blade style fuse. For gauges, I would use maybe a 10 amp, nothing bigger. Read the owners manual and use the correct size for each piece you are wanting to wire in. This should get you started. If you go through the firewall, then make sure you get the rubber/plastic pieces that slides over the wire/flex loom to seal the hole up completely.
Oo i think im going to get try and get the cig lighter you have that sound just enough for what i need....u make cleaning up the wiring sound so simple and easy lol
Old 02-13-14, 03:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

they also sell the fuses at the auto store that fit into a single slot but have double fuses on top that you can run a line to something else. don't wrap wires around the fuses get the thing above it works much better.

also there are some power wires on the cell phone connector under the cup holder that is usually unused, I haven't used it but I read about someone doing that and it seems better than tapping off the cigarette lighter which I have tapped into the back along time ago.
Old 02-14-14, 10:59 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

flex loom anything you can still see.
Old 02-19-14, 11:19 AM
fourstars
Rookie

i've been doing a lot of wiring myself in another project. what i can tell you that its very expensive and time consuming. but possible to your liking.. now the cheapest way out and most durable method i find to be most reliable, is go to the junk yard and get your self a lot of connectors. MOSTLY japanese cars years 92+.. those connectors are cheap ($) and durable.. while your there. grab some relay and fuses too. sometimes you'll find a fuse holder and relay holders too. good thing is that its all OEM from other vehicle meaning its durable.. you might want to check to see if its in decent condition. all this will probly run you no more than $30 for a bag full of connectors, relays, fuses and even holders. maybe cost a lot less....make sure you have a plan when your building and or organizing. draw it out if necessary. learn how to depin pins from a connector and alway use soldier and shirkwrap. i go to harbor frieght for the plastic covering, pretty cheap there... my 2 cents.
Old 02-19-14, 02:01 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

When I start a project, I buy a few rolls of wire, reel of solder, and plenty of shrink wrap (never store in trunk). From there it is about what acc and devices you want to add. USB ports and such are easy as long as u buy the correct parts. I think a female USB port with pigtails can be found for $5 or so. It's all about how and where stuff is mounted in relation to stock plastics, to make a clean or xrap job. Bondo and fiberglass skills come in handy for real trick work as well. I added a cup holder in a trim piece before, it's fun stuff