SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ECU rebuild services....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 01:04 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts
Default ECU rebuild services....

I have a '92 SC300 ECU in need of repair. It failed and was swapped out with a used one. I wanted to have a "spare" since these seem to fail based on age alone.

I have researched several vendors including some listed on eBay. Lextech seems to have fallen out of favor so not likely to use them.

If anyone has recommendations or which ones to avoid that would be of great value.

Thanks....
Old 02-16-14, 03:05 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I literally just made a thread on this exact subject a week ago lol. Lextech is cheapest but you're probably still paying too much. I just bought the service from eBay. $149 shipped back to me, same day turn around! The guy does this for the Lexus dealerships so he isn't ignorant in the area.
Old 02-16-14, 04:17 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Is that the one titled "ECU Rebuilding costs?" ???

In there you indicate you'd DIY but now you used an eBay service. Which one did you use? Seems you are satisfied with the results.

I am seeking advice on an experienced, reliable service provider - quick turnaround and the lowest price are not attributes totally needed but would be bonuses if the repair/restore is done well.

I found one on the Internet for $249 which seemed high but seems to be their primary business as they offer this service for many car mfg units. It was difficult to find references for them.

As stated, my SC is not "down" waiting for a ECU and this would be a spare when (likely not if) the current unit fails.

If you could send a PM with the specific eBay service you used that would be helpful.

Thanks.....
Old 02-16-14, 04:32 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Duck05
Is that the one titled "ECU Rebuilding costs?" ???
Correct. Subject wanders a little bit but has good info you are seeking here.

In there you indicate you'd DIY but now you used an eBay service. Which one did you use? Seems you are satisfied with the results.
Upon further investigation, I cant afford to botch anything up inside the ECU. I've read some horror stories where people attempted to do on their own and failed...and made it worse. I'm using an eBay service. I haven't sent my ECU out yet. (today is Sunday, tommorow is Presidents day, no post office) I was just sharing what I am doing.

I am seeking advice on an experienced, reliable service provider - quick turnaround and the lowest price are not attributes totally needed but would be bonuses if the repair/restore is done well.

I found one on the Internet for $249 which seemed high but seems to be their primary business as they offer this service for many car mfg units. It was difficult to find references for them.

As stated, my SC is not "down" waiting for a ECU and this would be a spare when (likely not if) the current unit fails.
Only place I can recommend is the one I'm trying out. Maybe use me as a guinea pig to try this guy out and I'll let you know what happens.

If you could send a PM with the specific eBay service you used that would be helpful.
Sure.
Old 02-16-14, 07:57 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rebuilding ? Like replacing capicators? Driftmotion does all of this for $60 ....they replace leaking ones and check for other bad ones, maybe you guys are talking about something else lol
Old 02-16-14, 08:00 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by IneednSC
Rebuilding ? Like replacing capicators? Driftmotion does all of this for $60 ....they replace leaking ones and check for other bad ones, maybe you guys are talking about something else lol
This place on eBay said he will replace EVERYTHING if anything needs replacing. Lifetime warranty included...
Old 02-16-14, 08:17 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
This place on eBay said he will replace EVERYTHING if anything needs replacing. Lifetime warranty included...
An employee at dm said they check and replace all that broke or looks bad but i dont think they have lifetime warranty i think i would feel more comfortable with dm lol just my prefrence
Old 02-17-14, 11:54 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to send mine to Drift Motion when I know I can go without having my car for a week or two. Just as a preventative procedure as my car works fine.
Old 02-17-14, 10:59 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

I contacted the service that SC400slide referenced and he replied already (and on a Sunday night, too). Said he can rebuild the mirror ECU as well.

In no hurry but it felt good from the exchange. It will be good to hear how SC400slide does with his repair.
Old 02-18-14, 09:00 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ecu

Does anyone know if the ECU's are different on 5 speeds? I like the idea of having a spare and I can pull one from a pick-a-part place but they are all autos.
Old 02-18-14, 09:09 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Ozzzzy
Does anyone know if the ECU's are different on 5 speeds? I like the idea of having a spare and I can pull one from a pick-a-part place but they are all autos.
5 speeds are completely different, they're not interchangeable.
Old 02-18-14, 09:51 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ecu

Well that sucks
Old 02-19-14, 12:22 PM
fourstars
Rookie

This is the reason why you should learn to or have to DIY:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...illusions.html

Tweak'D Performance screwed me and i havent recieve my harness yet.. there were multiple issues. and they are not taking the blame for it.. at the end, you lose your time, money, and patients...
I've only taken my cars to the shop for alignment issues, smog, and tire install. everything is done in house (my garage).
Old 03-07-14, 04:21 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Ok told Duck05 that I'd update this thread with the result in the rebuild of my ECU. Result is green. All is good, he rebuilt it and is legit. It might not be perfect upon the first couple minutes of driving because the parts that you previously messed with are tuned to the leaky ECU.
Old 03-07-14, 05:52 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only one who read through that thread and thought the company wasn't really in the wrong by the end of it?

Quick Reply: ECU rebuild services....