SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

a warning to all sc300 owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 08:14 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you have to do it take a towel and lay it over the top of your engine. Simply spray your engine off with water and there shouldn't be a problem. I use to run a detailling shop, and we had all sorta of problems like this. When we started laying a towel over the engine, the problems went away. I think it is because the towel disipated enough water so it doesn't get into any parts.
Old 02-04-03, 08:15 PM
sc300vb
Rookie

so far it hasnt! i pulled all the plugs and left the holes open over nite to dry them out (just in case), and put the plugs in tonite, started it up and it ran great, but the longer it ran, the more the "miss" came back!!?? im sooo confused now! i cant believe this big of a problem was caused by a little h2o, truly, it was a litlle water.
Old 02-04-03, 09:39 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

I had a 95 GS300 that had the same problem from washing the engine. I didn't even have to pull the plugs out, I drove the car for a while and let it sit for a while, then drive it some more and after a few days the problem went away. You just need to drive the car so the engine temp evaporates the water.
Old 02-04-03, 09:52 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

maybe you should get new plugs?
Old 02-05-03, 05:33 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

im thinking plugs may help, i just wouldnt think the plugs could foul by water....

i started it up lastnight and it ran fine then after a few minutes you could hear a miss then i tried to drive it, and it started bucking again...i am hoping time will cure the problem. the car ran flawlessly till now...this really sux!
Old 02-05-03, 07:11 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ran into this problem also, apparently the guys that detailed it sprayed the motor a bit, now it runs like crap. I actually thought it was the throttle position position sensor, but didn't have the time to work on it, so I brought it to Lexus @ 7am this morning, they called a few mins ago and told me that there's a misfire in the no. 3 cylinder (aaah, the beauty of OBDII, right Scott?), so they of course need two hours of labour to diagnose, and claim that my warranty won't cover it because the detailer may have sprayed some water on the motor. They don't believe in drying things out (doesn't make them any money ), so i'm sure i'll end with a new set of plugs and wires, but i'm pretty surprised these motors are so sensitive to a little water, almost every car dealer in the nation uses prep guys that shoot some H2O in there to clean it before delivery, you think they're all actually using steam Bean?
Old 02-05-03, 07:16 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

thanx for the info. if you could ask them (if they'd even tell u the truth) what you can do if this happens again, or what part really shouldnt get wet.....im at my wits end with this, and i dont have the immediate funds to take mine to the dealer right now....thanks man!
Old 02-05-03, 08:43 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone not protect *every* component with tape when spraying water on the engine?

I had as sc400 before getting my sc3. Prior to selling the sc4, I taped *every* component to clean the engine compartment. I drove it a minute to the car wash; sprayed engine cleaner on the luke warm motor, and then sprayed it off. No problems. period.

-scott
Old 02-05-03, 08:51 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

all i was doing was using a "light spray" to get the salt off. i was carefull not to spray directly onto any black boxes or electrical components. u guys make it sound like poured 50 gallons of water on this thing......i used a little water for about 15 seconds. it obviously just got onto a vital piece of equipment just enough to cause a miss in my engine....lets not forget that engines get wet when driving down the road, they are not into a water tight enclosure. they are designed to withstand a little water. thats why this is sooo weird to me. that a little water would do this. im a mechanical engineer and i wouldnt have designed a motor that was this sensitive to water......
Old 02-05-03, 09:10 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

There is a protective cover on the bottom of the engine to prevent water coming up through the engine bay.

However, what probably happened is that water settled on top of the valve cover and had nowhere to go but down into the plug area. From there it might have seaped through the plugs or valve cover seal.

I doubt the same problems would happen on the V-8 because the plugs are angled and well covered.

-scott

P.S. Sorry to hear you had problems. :-(
Old 02-05-03, 09:12 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Oh... be sure to do an oil change. Chances are water made it into the oil.

-scott
Old 02-05-03, 10:12 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

thanx man, im taking your advice and changing the oil tonite. thanks alot for the info!

have a good one...

-chad
Old 02-05-03, 02:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
you think they're all actually using steam Bean?
well the car cleaners here in town that say 'Steam Clean your engine' BETTER steam clean an engine...

but i've never had to take a car to the dealer before... i do all my own work and i won't trust another person to do it (unless the transmission needs rebuilding)
Old 02-05-03, 02:39 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Hey I was cleaning the engine today and I was using a rag and some cleaner to clean it. After I was done I tried to take it out for a spin but it wouldnt turn over. The engine cranks but it wont turn over. I didnt even get anything wet. Whatever got even remotely wet should be dried out by now. Is there something I should look for maybe something I disconected? Can someone help me?
P.S. I accidentally touched the rag on the positive terminal on the battery while it was connected to the car if that matters. The rag wasnt soaked or anything it was a little damp.

Last edited by jimmit; 02-05-03 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 05:29 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

not sure, but i would check your fuse box.....

Quick Reply: a warning to all sc300 owners!!!