SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1996 SC400 150K - could this be a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 03:06 PM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 SC400 150K - could this be a daily driver?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1996 SC400 with 150K. I'm looking for a good highway cruiser on the weekends, and a short range daily driver for the weekdays.

Lexus seems to have a great reputation for long term quality, and I don't mind putting some money into the car to get it working reliably, but I"m not interested in getting a money pit.

Any advice for me on this?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-19-14, 03:21 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy it! Great daily driver and reliable!
Old 03-19-14, 03:26 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Start HERE

Make sure you read THIS one.

There is nothing but due diligence that will get you your answer. Identifying the common issues and costs associated with them and examining the heck out of the car with a mechanic, focusing on those potential problem areas. You could go a year without any big repairs, or you could get nickel, dime, and DOLLARED!
Finding out what they already did and what is to come, is crucial. Timing belt, starter and blown engine or tranny will hurt the most.
How does it seem the car was cared for / maintained?
Old 03-19-14, 03:27 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its my daily driver too , MPG is a bit high compare to a small 4cyl but you get so much comfort back
Old 03-19-14, 03:39 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread is useless w/o pictures. LOL

The SC is one of the most reliable cars out there, even for being over 20 years old now.
Old 03-19-14, 04:30 PM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the advice and helpful links!
Old 03-19-14, 04:34 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,246 Likes on 868 Posts

My SC300 has 227,000+ miles and I use it as a daily driver. It's very reliable. I just drove it cross-country for the second time and the only thing to happen was the four year old battery going bad.

OP, the key here is that it was originally a $60k+ (adjusted for inflation) luxury sport coupe and it pays to do all the recommended maintenance and keep the car in service. That said... not much maintenance is needed except every 60k or so. Little things go out on old cars but with everything checked out you should have no problems with reliability. Even bulletproof older 80's and 90's Mercedes have an issue once in a while and the SC's are very close if not equal to that kind of reliability.

There are key dealerships listed on the forums that can get SC300 and SC400 specific parts cheaper than your average Lexus dealer. It's best to find an independent mechanic whom you trust and who is familiar with SC300's, 400's (and by extension LS400 sedans) or a Toyota dealer that will service your SC. There are such Toyota dealers-- just not all of them do this. There are also independent Lexus shops. And there are also many DIY threads here on the forums which cover common repairs and fixes if you are handy with tools.

StudioGeek posted some good threads above to educate yourself on common issues.

Fuel economy isn't great with either the 300 or 400 but it's not at all the same thing as a Cobra Mustang sucking up fuel by the second-- unless you get into turbocharging that is. I find the economy very livable. All SC's have a big 19.6 Gallon gas tank in an extremely safe location too (upright behind the seats and before the back of the trunk), they all take premium fuel but provide a very good driving experience.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-19-14 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 08:31 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Good point made above. Any vehicle 15+ years old is a potential money pit. This one is older so stuff will break, but it most likely wouldn't become a money pit. You want a money pit, somebody say EXPLORER. Yeah, I live with one.
Old 03-20-14, 10:45 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,246 Likes on 868 Posts

The SC, like any old car, will have an issue or two from time to time because many of these cars are twenty years old by now. When everything is accounted for and within service spec they are very reliable. Yes, things break occasionally with any old car. There are other classics, however, which are FAR more prone to random failures than a Lexus SC, which is a very predictable classic car. For a short time I did have a few things I needed to fix in a row like my radiator, A/C system, heater control valve (the valve itself, not the whole assembly), an ancient door lock actuator, or front lower control arms, etc. but these aren't part of the normal maintenance cycle.

Even older Camry's have the same issues with this much age and to be honest they don't even hold the same resale value as an SC year-for-year. The same issues affect those models which are, at best, considered desirable used BECAUSE of the perception that they are the most reliable cars next to a Civic.

The only way you truly win is to buy anything brand new or not-very-used with a warranty, which is a lot more cash than the average SC is worth for an extremely basic and often inferior car unless you spend into the $25k+ range (for a brand new model).

SC's are reliable cars. SC's are also older cars now and occasionally need a thing or two fixed beyond the normal maintenance schedule. Previous ownership determines a lot. Toyota built these cars (and the LS400's) to show they could out-Mercedes Mercedes. And they have. I never worry if my SC will start. I just drive it. Anywhere.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-20-14 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-20-14, 12:58 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's really hit or miss. I bought my 95 with 117k four years ago and it's been a complete disaster since day one. You must walk into this "project" knowing that every suspension and engine component is old. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but using the SC as a daily is hit or miss. You will expect to get your hands dirty at least once a month with issues. One weekend it's the PS pump leaking, then the fuel pump relay goes bad, then the radiator cracks, then you start feeling vibrations on the highway and a control arm needs to be replaced,.... it just keeps going and going.

1996 was a long time ago....George Bush senior was president, Michael Jordan was still playing with the number 23, the Menendez trial was going on, and Tupac was still alive.
Old 03-20-14, 02:32 PM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Default Again - thanks for all the great advice

This car has 100% of the service records. Two owners, 100% lexus serviced. It's probably as good as could be expected in terms of maintenance record.

The wiring harness thing bothers me - I hadn't thought about the brittleness of things.

It's one of those things if I knew what I had to put in I'd almost have most of it done pre-emptively - just head things off at the pass, instead of getting surprised on the road.

...and I miss watching MJ.
Old 03-20-14, 05:55 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its really just the plugs on the harness that get broken, and plugs are cheap
your getting a old car but for the most part its just a supra, you will have a lot of support when it comes to fixing it.
have you looked in to a 2jz? i feel its easy to work with
Old 03-22-14, 11:09 AM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Default I *am* crazy

I now own a super clean and well maintained red 96 sc400...wish me luck!
Old 03-22-14, 11:28 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by amicrazy
congrats! I've personally DD mines for the past 4 yrs or so (about 15-16K miles/yr). keep up that maintenance, that's for sure.
Old 03-22-14, 11:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by amicrazy
Congrats Man!
Enjoy it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 1996 SC400 150K - could this be a daily driver?