SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why "Slammed"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 11:46 AM
Harpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why "Slammed"?

Disclaimer: I'm not bashing anyone's ride, just looking for insight...

Though I may not like some "mods", I can understand their attraction. For instance, a drag setup (wide rears, skinny fronts, traction bars, etc) can give straight-line performance at the expense of cornering. And a lowered, stiffened suspension with sticky tires can increase cornering.

What I don't understand is "slammed". With this, you get seriously decreased performance (both straight line and cornering), drastically uneven tire wear, horrible ride, unsafe handling, and a constant dread of driveways, speed bumps, and potholes.

Is it the "cool" factor? If so, is it really worth all the shortcomings?
Old 04-04-14, 12:11 PM
soaringlex
Driver School Candidate

I don't think your automotive experience is up to par to be be so arrogant.

Here is a slammed sc300 that happens to compete in the Japanese Time Attack series. It's all in how you modify your suspension.

Old 04-04-14, 12:59 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

^^ Slammed has its practical use in traditional track racing environments and pro drifting. Just because a lot of people do it with many variations doesn't mean it didn't originate somewhere. Personally I keep a stock ride height but only because the suspension setup I chose was designed that way and because we have terrible roads in Los Angeles. And I like an unassuming "stock" appearance that doesn't attract attention. Plenty do it well as long as they have accounted for the reduced suspension travel and camber.
Old 04-04-14, 01:08 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

depends on the type of slammed. there's the absolute "low-life"(what they call their fad) people and those cars just scrape on everything and they replace oil pans on a regular basis. then there's functional stance which is low and camber in the front for cornering and maybe a slight camber in the back, more camber if you're drifting. look at race cars, v8 supercars are a great example, they're pretty low.
Old 04-04-14, 01:44 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I agree. My sc is lowered but only enough for a little more aggressive handling, bumps and driveways are of no concern and I get going lower for dedicated track use or even just the look, ie the "hella flush" guys.

I don't get the guys with the stretched tires and crazy camber, I don't enjoy sharing the road with them. To each their own so long as they don't crash into me. I get tucking the wheels and laying frame while you're parked. I'll probably bag my escalade when it comes times for new shocks but while you're moving down a public freeway, your suspension geometry and tire patch should be appropriate.
Old 04-04-14, 01:44 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

I could be wrong - but perhaps the OP is referring to the Stretched Tire, Negative Camber, Lowered vehicles.. that I as well think are hideous, and do absolutely nothing for performance.. and in my opinion only make other cars without that 'look' better, in comparison.

heres one of an SC I just googled... Its not even a severe case of stretch or negative camber - but that car I swear would look 100x better with a better fitting rim & tire and losing the stretch and negative camber -

below this picture is a severe case of the "look" that some ppl think is cool.
ive no idea where the idea started.. but I think it would have been from some one trying to get their Rim to look FLUSH - however due to not bying the right offset/width of rims, they had to improvise.. and someone thought it was unique and did it as well.. and progressed to a point where they had to start stretching tires to keep up with the movement..

so to the OP: is this the slammed look you were referring to? if so.. to answer your question.. no its Not worth the shortcomings for me and my car.. I actually like to autocross my car, take it down a drag strop, drive it hard... something you cant do safely with the extremely stupid camber/stretch ppl put on their lowered vehicles, and I need my ride height/ground clearance for where I live..

Last edited by soarer93; 04-04-14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 01:47 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not defending the stance crowd in this statement. But have you ever seen Australian v8 supercars? These cars are competitively driven around the worlds biggest race tracks with a slammed appearance. Drift cars also have a slammed appearance. However, this set up allows them to push the limits with a modified suspension that typical street cars couldn't achieve.

Old 04-04-14, 02:13 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah with slicks and/or racing compound tires (or tyres as the case may be) set up by a professional for a singular purpose. Doing that to your public street driven car that you either never race or put on a track once a year is the issue at hand and the point I think OP was trying to make. That kind of set up built by an amateur with cheap stretched tires on a potentially wet, dirty, not the best maintained surface is counter productive at best.
Old 04-04-14, 02:26 PM
dapimpee
Pole Position

I agree with Op here, Your dd car is not a race car, you may want to mod it to looks like a race car but it's not. LOL.
Old 04-04-14, 02:42 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Why slammed? why not slammed? does it really matter if it helps or hurts anything? Sounds like you already have your answer.