SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just wanted to let you guys know

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03 | 09:59 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by Manaray
The ES wheel and airbag are not "straight bolt-ons"...yeah, it will fit and such, but the ES steering wheel has a 2-stage airbag. Your SC has a SINGLE stage system. Will it work correctly? I don't know but I don't want to be the guinea pig. I've heard many cases where people have swapped airbags with different models and the bags either didn't work upon impact or they would be just driving along and BAM! The airbag would come out for NO REASON. Is this the risk you'd take to save a few bucks? I wouldn't have issues switching to another Lexus single stage airbag (like in the pre-2001 GS's) but double-stage is a completely different system.

At $380, it's HARDLY expensive for a redone wood steering wheel. You get new leather, new REAL wood, and thicker padding (feels more like the current Lexus wheels)...all with excellent quality...
Manaray,

Is it still possible to buy the wheel for $380?
Old 02-24-03 | 02:50 AM
SoCalSC300
Driver School Candidate

wmulli - that's a pimp setup! Can you tell me where you can get a momo e-shift brake?
Old 02-24-03 | 06:02 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default MOMO Brake handle

I got mine at AutoToys. I got the matching black leather boot as well

Last edited by wmulli; 02-24-03 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-24-03 | 03:42 PM
lawman
Driver

Default just going to ask...

Walter,

I was just going to ask about your shift ****. I thought is was an after market job. So the MOMO fits well with the MOMO boot. Right now I just have the stock IS "ball" shift **** on and was looking at the GReddy counterweighted shift **** as well. I did not think that I was going to like the "ball" style, but I have to admit that I like the grip and feel better over our stock one.

Was replacing the boot hard? I may go the MOMO way.
Old 02-24-03 | 04:39 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default Re: just going to ask...

Originally posted by lawman
Walter,

I was just going to ask about your shift ****. I thought is was an after market job. So the MOMO fits well with the MOMO boot. Right now I just have the stock IS "ball" shift **** on and was looking at the GReddy counterweighted shift **** as well. I did not think that I was going to like the "ball" style, but I have to admit that I like the grip and feel better over our stock one.

Was replacing the boot hard? I may go the MOMO way.
I prefer the ball type shift **** as well. I think getting the right weight in it is the most important. I did a fair amount of experimenting with mine til I got the feel I wanted.

Replacing the e-brake boot is dead easy, just a couple of snaps (as opposed to the e-brake handle, which is a royal pain!). However, the MOMO boot is a bit shorter than the stock boot, so if you look over the seat you can see some of the brake lever mechanism. It's not terribly noticable unless you look for it, but I thought I'd give you a heads up. I think it was worth it because I didn't like the tan color with the black handle.
Old 02-25-03 | 03:55 AM
SoCalSC300
Driver School Candidate

wmulli -

Did you need to buy an adapter for the MOMO E-brake? Can you tell us how you took off the stock brake and put the MOMO on? Also, do you know what kind of wood is on the MOMO? Does it fit well with the stock interior wood trim?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-03 | 07:26 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SoCalSC300
wmulli -

Did you need to buy an adapter for the MOMO E-brake? Can you tell us how you took off the stock brake and put the MOMO on? Also, do you know what kind of wood is on the MOMO? Does it fit well with the stock interior wood trim?

Thanks!
Lets see ... First off, no adapter needed. The handle has set screws that hold it securely. Secondly, taking the stock handle off is a B*%$#! I did it slowly and carefully in case I wanted to reuse it. If you don't care about saving it, it comes off much easier The stock handle seems to be glued on with a very secure glue. I spent a couple of hours digging away carefully with a long, thin, screwdriver. It takes awhile, but it comes off pretty much intact. Thirdly, I'm not sure of the wood type, but my guess would be walnut. It doesn't match the factory wood, but because it's so small and so far away from the factory trim, I don't think the difference is noticable. If you want, I can try to find a picture of the handle and the factory trim in the same photo. -Walter
Old 02-25-03 | 03:36 PM
scpower300
Rookie

when i removed the stock e-brake handle....it wasnt to bad at all. All i did was took a razor blade and cut off the stock leather, underneath is a padded rubber......a bit of shaving is needed but after that you can just slide the momo right on