SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 09:01 AM
akmpres
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Nak Unit

Will Nakamichi 45z control the CD changer?
Old 02-17-03, 12:29 AM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by onelasttry
Hi !

your on the web, do a google search for eclipse. There will be plenty of pics and models.
yes, but which one...
http://www.eclipse-web.com/

you also stated

some of the newer model eclipse radios use a updated harness that requires the purchase of a converter from eclipse, but the concept remains the same.
the word is "some" ..not all. what about this converter?

from the threads i've read, there are no wire harnesses for lexus/plug and play headunits out there meaning you have to cut and splice the wire directly(and nothing will control the stock changer). but you are refuting that widely held belief (or myth by what you are saying).

i'm not saying you are wrong or right. what i'm saying is, if you can't give a model number for "some" head units or the "converter", then how are we to believe you?

Last edited by 808state; 02-17-03 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-17-03, 05:59 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts

it isnt my concern whether or not you believe me, as stated above, the old ones plug directly in, and the new ones use a converter. very simple. no model numbers, no long drawn out details. simple as that. using an new to old harness convertor from eclipse changes it back to the factory setup. and yes the myth is wrong.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-17-03 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-17-03, 06:09 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

completely against my ethics, i'm going to back up what i am saying even though i have owned and/or ran car audio stores for 13 years.....

eclipse 5441i

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-31-03 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 10:53 AM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by onelasttry
completely against my ethics, i'm going to back up what i am saying even though i have owned and/or ran car audio stores for 13 years.....

eclipse 5441i
ethics? do you mean that everyone should believe everything they read? i guess you never heard of cold fusion or bigfoot? since you just registered and you said something about pcmw telling you not to do something which he pm'd me saying he has no recollection about it, then....

if you feel that no one should question what you said, we'll, you shouldn't have posted in an "open" forum. if you don't want to share info because of trade secrets as in doublewhooshes comments about the audio industry:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=eclipse

we'll that's you're decision.

like i said, i never said you were right or wrong, i was just trying to get more info. in no way am i trying to discredit you... i'm just asking questions. so far, from what i've read, you're the first to say it's plug an play with the premium nakamichi 12 disc cd system. if so, then bravo to you for bringing it to light.

some peole who had problems with the lexus harness:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=72776
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=wire+harness

now the above is not in relation to a sc and they did mention something about a metra wire harness.

also, the thread below discussed why so little sc owners have aftermarket electronics:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

i would have thought more people would've changed out their head unit if it was an easy plug and play. however, there are aethetic issues with matching the empty space afterwards.
Old 02-17-03, 11:40 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

ethics? do you mean that everyone should believe everything they read?

yes. (when i am typing)

im trying to tell you that whether or not you believe me, im offering you info from 13 years of technician work and a degree in EE, so take it or leave it, it will not affect the future of my life either way. i am just trying to be helpful. have a good day.

p.s.- i never said it would control the changer FYI. it wont.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-17-03 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-17-03, 11:45 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

however, there are aethetic issues with matching the empty space afterwards.
which is why i mentioned the din+ unit in my very first post on this subject. the will be no empty space.

another alternative is to use the highly functional and somewhat atttractive pocket that is available to use with a single din radio.
Old 02-17-03, 08:31 PM
UltimaSC3
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by London Bill
Try the Becker Mexico Pro, very high spec, excellent player, looks well cool.

Pity my A/C display is green and not amber like the US version.
Hey bill, I have an aftermarket stereo, where can I get one of those "pockets" to go underneath the acutal head unit? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Eric
Old 02-19-03, 03:30 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

My DIN size pocket came out of a Euro spec 1996 Renault Laguna, many Renaults of this era had "dual DIN" radio slots, those without the additional CD player had the pocket fitted.
Old 02-22-03, 01:58 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default eclipse lexus wiring harness compatibility issue.

i am a factory lexus oem audio expert and also agreeeing with the opinion that the lexus wiring harness is not compatible with the eclipse harness. the connector picture given(10 pin and 6 pin side by side) as proof shows a connector compatibility of eclipise with low end toyota cars but not with lexus radio inputs. lexus radios mainly use 1 piece radio connectors.... the only lexus with those inputs were the 95 to 97 lx450 (a rebadged land cruiser) , and es250 .and the small 98 to 2000 nav radio. and the pin placement is not the same as eclipse even if connctor will plug plug in..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, also the only audio equipment fujitsu made in the first generation cars was the 93 to 97 gs 12 disc. all the first generation radios were made by pioneer and the nak systems had nak amps to distinguish them. pioneer put nakamichi name on the nak headunits but they were p[ioneer units with some nak parts added.(tape player and some of the pcb boards).................................................................................. the first fujitsu made lexus head units in the 98 to 2000 lx470 premium and nak system indash 6 disc. also the is300 indash 6 disc is fujitsu made. both of those units have had excessive quality problems.i beleive toyota is a major stockholder in fujitsu which could explain their move away from using pioneer. pioneer has also made most of the remote location lexus cd changers except the matsu****a( panasonic) 12 disc in the 92 to 98 sc400..
Old 02-22-03, 04:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

it will not control the changer and it will not run off of the external volume button. otherwise, it will operate. i wouldn't suggest a swap to try and match up a unit that would operate off of the accesories such as the changer or volume button, but to plug and play as a stand alone unit without harness modifications, yes.
Old 02-23-03, 03:13 AM
danielribo
Driver School Candidate

Here's my latest upgrade
Attached Thumbnails A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior-stereo.jpg  
Old 02-23-03, 10:51 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a piece of roofing tar sheet in the .5 DIN space :eek:

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 02-24-03 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-23-03, 04:39 PM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Is that a piece of roofing tar sheet in the .5 DIN space :eek:
lol, its not quite my taste either, i would have gone with something that comes with a 7in display i gotta get that touch screen kenwood
Old 02-23-03, 05:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

OK guy's, i grabbed an image of a factory lexus headunit and an eclipse 5441i and merged them so you can see the plugs.

the two plugs not used on the factory v/s the eclipse are the changer, and external volume control.

hopefully this image will load quickly for you, it's on boomspeed, so no guarentee's...lol.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-31-03 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior